Eating exercise calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I ate back pretty much every exercise calorie - after estimating them carefully - while losing 50+ pounds, down to a healthy body weight . . . and now, well into my second year of maintenance, I still eat them.

If MFP calculates your goal calories, a deficit is already included, before exercise. Losing too fast is an unhealthful choice. Why take that risk of an unhealthily expedited weight loss, to get to the goal of a healthy weight? Illogical.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ok so eating the exercise calories back would stabilize to the "safe" deficit of 500cal a day specifically for weight loss, not maintenance or gains. So your TDEE essentially changes daily based on what you did that day. That seems exhausting. In the long term is counting calories burned and eating them back to hit that 500 cal deficit a sustainable practice for most, either in weight loss mode or maintenance mode? Also where in the heck is this 1200cal minimum a day thing coming from? 1200 seems awfully low for anyone performing exercise on the regular. Is 1200 calories sustainable for a prolonged time frame? Also fasting is a thing, a lot of people do it, is consuming zero calories a day harmful? The science is still out for prolonged fasting techniques (not eating for 7 plus days) but for short term fasting (ADF,20/4,16/8, etc) there has been shown to be huge benefits both to HGH and a plethora of other health benefits for weight loss.
  • Gab149
    Gab149 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    zjpq wrote: »
    Gab149 wrote: »
    zjpq wrote: »
    I do so I reach at least 1200 cals net for the day

I didn't say you didn't. I was just speaking generally.

Huh? Was answering the OP...

Ooops, my bad. :)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is only about 2380, due to my age, height and activity (not sedentary). I started 2 months ago needing to lose 100 lbs. and for health reasons, the sooner I lose the first 40-50, the better, which is why I picked 2 lbs. per month. I need a 1000 cal. deficit to lose 2 lbs. per week. (2380-1000=1280) I've lost 13.5 lbs. in 8 weeks, which is close enough for me. I eat back my exercise calories on most days.

Try eating just 1280 calories and exercising and see if you like it. I doubt it. On a couple of days a week I walk 80 minutes and then swim 25 minutes. Even considering that it might not be accurate, for my weight it comes out to approx. 600 calories and days that I do zumba, apparently 800-900 calories. If I did not eat back some of the calories on those days I'd eat 1280 and then burn off over half of them! Besides being very hungry that would just be dangerous and unsustainable on 300-600 calories each day.

In general I prefer eating at 1500-1900 calories. I could do that and not exercise if I made my goal just 1 lb. a week, but I don't want to. I would rather work out (for its own benefits) and eat the exercise calories. I will continue to do so as long as I am losing. To me it is the best of all words--exercising, eating more and losing weight.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't. Never have. It doesn't affect my energy one bit so long as I am eating adequate protein and fats.
  • candjmunoz
    candjmunoz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do. I use that to be flexible with how I eat. If I want to eat more or higher calorie foods, I exercise more. If I don't want to exercise more, then I choose to eat lighter.

I have a lot of weight to lose, so as I get closer to my goal weight, I may choose to eat back less. We'll see.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have been yes. Im at 1200cal and my exercise calories are just from walking so not much but i generally eat 60-70% of them back. Im in my first month though so kind of judging what is working and isnt working for me to lose weight
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    The more accurate your logging, the more essential it is to comply with the program and eat those exercise calories back IF YOU'RE USING MFP'S CALORIE GOALS and IF YOU'VE SET YOUR ACTIVITY LEVELS CORRECTLY.

Unless you're weighing your food, your logging's going to be prone to significant error, although very consistent measuring can compensate to a degree. Now, regarding exercise calories, there's a few ways to approach this, none is really superior to another but they aren't all equally easy for all situations.

(1) You set as sedentary, and log all activities that require physical effort

This is a VERY good approach for people who do not have a step counter or activity tracker, and who have wildly erratic daily exertion or are exceptionally sedentary (people with autoimmune disorders or other physical handicaps, for example). This is the method I used my first 2.5 years on MFP, and it worked pretty well, although I only ate 1/2 exercise calories, I wasn't weighing food, and wound up losing at the expected and target rate for me.

(2) You set as sedentary, and use a pedometer or activity tracker to adjust calories automatically

This is pretty accurate if your activity tracker/pedometer is giving a realistic adjustment. This is the method I use right now. It seems to work pretty well.

(3) You set as a higher level of activity, and log all activities that are truly exercise

You're not logging those extra flights of stairs or housework & gardening here, because they're rolled into your daily activity level; instead you're logging that 45 minute walk at night or your 30 minute workout. You eat both the higher base calories allotted by the higher activity setting AND the exercise, but keep in mind that machines frequently overestimate calories burned. You may use negative adjustments if synced to an activity tracker in case some days you're a little less active. These activities may be logged via pedometer/activity tracker or manually.

I've tried this method, it doesn't really work very well with my particular activity tracker (SHealth) so I don't use it, but I've seen others find great success with it with other trackers that are less persnickety.

In all situations, MFP tells you your baseline calories: the MINIMUM you will need for the day, given you do no more than the base for which you've set it.

People get their egos all up in this stuff. Don't. As long as you're consistent with tracking, you can see your experience pretty quickly (over about a month) and adjust. Losing too fast is not a healthy thing, and its not a competition to lose faster than anyone else. Eating back exercise calories is good, it keeps your nutrient levels in balance and weight loss in line with your goals. This is how MFP works.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    I'm so confused by this. Why in the world would you eat back calories burned from exercise? For example: If I burn 900 calories at the gym and my TDEE for maintenance is 3000 and I eat 2500 calories that day, I have a deficit of 1400 (500+900) with exercise. Eating back the 900 calories I burned from exercise would only give me a 500 calorie deficit. Wouldn't staying home not exercising and eating -500 TDEE maintenance produce the same result net calories wise? Someone explain the logic of this to me please.

Yes - there is no logic in doing the workouts merely for weight loss.

Exercise is for heart healthy and body transformation.
    Diet is for fat loss.
    You are confusing them.
    And a 500 cal deficit may indeed be the best reasonable sustainable deficit that actually allows your workouts to cause a transformation.

How bad would it suck if your 1400 deficit starting making your workouts suck and become a waste of time because they then caused no transformation to the body. And that will happen if you keep it up.

So instead of sitting at home and getting 1 lb weekly loss - you are trying to knock yourself out and end up getting less than that and terrible workouts!

Because you are thinking of every other site on the internet that helps with diet.

Where you select how active with exercise you plan to be.

A daily burn is estimated, a deficit is taken to cause weight loss, you eat that amount.

In those cases - you better do the workout or you likely don't have the deficit or not as much as you planned to have.
    And you certainly don't eat back calories burned from exercise because you already accounted for them.
    It's what causes people the confusion that exercise is for weight loss - it's not.

MFP doesn't assume you'd actually do the workouts - because frankly that's what causes those other methods to fail - people are goal happy and unrealistic and don't stick to exercise goals - but stick to eating goals (maybe).
    And fail to lose weight eventually.

MFP assumes no exercise when done.

And then works on the life lesson everyone must learn as far as weight is concerned.
    You do more - you eat more.
    You do less - you eat less.

In a diet - a tad less in either case.

So when you do exercise - you eat those back, and your deficit is still there.
    Then exercise becomes the body transforming thing it's meant to be - not the weight loss thing it's actually not good at.

Now - the problem comes into what is logged as exercise - accuracy of such (Spin class 60 min, but 5 min warmup, 5 min cooldown, 5 min stretching, means it was only 45 min of "spinning") logging, and logging stuff that is already included in your daily non-exercise activity level accounted for.

It's why the bad mythical advice to start eating 50% of calories back when there isn't even knowledge of what the workouts are or how accurate in logging, by people that don't understand potential issues except they experienced one.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I eat as many of my exercise calories as possible. My aim has never been to be skinny it's to be fit and strong. I'm not saying I always manage to eat them all, I struggle on Tuesdays which are my crazy active days. But as I've kept my weight stable +/-1lb for the last 10 days I must be doing a pretty good job of it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    Ok so eating the exercise calories back would stabilize to the "safe" deficit of 500cal a day specifically for weight loss, not maintenance or gains. So your TDEE essentially changes daily based on what you did that day. That seems exhausting. In the long term is counting calories burned and eating them back to hit that 500 cal deficit a sustainable practice for most, either in weight loss mode or maintenance mode? Also where in the heck is this 1200cal minimum a day thing coming from? 1200 seems awfully low for anyone performing exercise on the regular. Is 1200 calories sustainable for a prolonged time frame? Also fasting is a thing, a lot of people do it, is consuming zero calories a day harmful? The science is still out for prolonged fasting techniques (not eating for 7 plus days) but for short term fasting (ADF,20/4,16/8, etc) there has been shown to be huge benefits both to HGH and a plethora of other health benefits for weight loss.

Yes to why eat back to reasonable deficit level.

Yes, your TDEE literally does change daily.
    Hence the reason even on MFP you'll find people using the average weekly TDEE method other sites use. And they don't log their exercise - they already accounted for it.

1200 is considered minimal safe level for average sedentary woman eating average food to get in all nutrition needed.
    Sadly it seems most want to be average and sedentary because that's all they eat, and want minimal results.
    Yes, I'm sure they have workouts that are way worse then they could have - but they'll never know with nothing to compare to.

Yep, the IF stuff has some great things behind it - and still eating appropriate amount of calories when done.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your deficit without exercise. When you exercise you increase that deficit, possibly to dangerous levels. It takes energy to fuel your workouts.

You WANT a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb per week 1,000 is really the highest you should go (assuming you're 75lbs or more overweight) unless you've significantly more than 75 to lose. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact numbers.

Exercise is for health and fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight.

And just my n=1: to lose 1lb/week I'm on 1380 calories, meaning I probably maintain on around 900. If I walk for three hours at 3mph, MFP tells me I burned just under 800 calories. If I don't eat some of those back, I'm pretty darned hungry.

Danged typo. I meant 1900
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I'm more of a banking person. I tend to do my runs in the evening, and my long runs end short before going to bed. I'm not eating more then, but I have more calories over the coming days.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Ive established that mine are accurate enough so yes. Always. All of them.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It really is very simple.
    1. Work out your calorie deficit to lose weight. (e.g 1200) Low I know, but a popular number on these forums..
    2. Work out how many calories you're burning, preferably using a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate idea. (e.g 600)
    * Eat 1800
    * 1800 - 600 = 1200 (still at deficit)

Or you burn 400 calories then you would eat 1600
    * 1600 - 400 = 1200 (deficit)
    As long as you're always back at 1200, you're still at your deficit.

For a long time, I had my app set to 1200 calories and wouldn't eat my exercise calories. I plateaud for ages and never had any energy. I worked out that some days I would only be functioning on 700 calories or less which is just not sustainable long term.