I keep gaining weight

Options
I've been doing mfp for 3 weeks now. I started at 198 then it went to 208 and now I can't get below 200! I'm so frustrated. I really like the app because it counts my carbs for me. I'm type one diabetic and it's great to use for my insulin. It has me at 1250 calorie intake.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale to weigh your food. If you're not already doing this, you're eating more than you think.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a daughter that is a type 1 diabetic :-) I have heard many stories where Type 1's have had a harder time losing weight, especially if you have issues with lows. Are you MDI or on a pump? Do you wear a Dexcom or CGM of any kind? Are you exercising at all? There are few groups on facebook just for Type 1's, are you a member of any of them?
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
  • barbeegirlly
    barbeegirlly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in a few diabetes groups on Facebook. I'm not on a pump or have anything fancy. I just use injections for insulin. My doctor and diabetes case manager are getting me ready for the pump. How do I make my food log open? Sorry for not responding sooner. I'm having roaming issues with my phone the last few days.
  • barbeegirlly
    Options
    I think I made my diary open. I adjusted my calories and now it's at 1500. I'm really not sure what I'm doing or what I should be doing.
  • barbeegirlly
    Options
    I've been seeing a diabetic dietitian. I email her my bs's every other day. She said to keep my carbs around 40-60 a meal. I'll ask her about calories.
  • KiwiGirl38
    KiwiGirl38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have type 1 diabetes (27 years) and I'm on insulin injections. I'm eating 1200 calories a day. My control is good on a low carb high protein diet. I am loosing weight on this, it is hard but keep going. I don't have a lot of carbs as it spikes my sugars up and I get better control and weight loss with low carbs. My diet consists of protein bars (low carb/sugar), protein shakes made with water and frozen blueberries, boiled eggs, tuna on some crackers, handful of raw nuts, cheese sticks, soup, grilled chicken breasts and veges + salads etc. Diabetics are better on a low carb diet. If I have a low and need jelly beans I will factor that in to MFP. I average about 3/4 of lows a month especially around the time of the month for me. Lows make you put on weight due to an increase in your appetite which I've learnt to control better. It's all about the control.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Barbeegirly, I will contribute.

I worked with a lady who was 5'3" and weighed 200lbs (dead even) and had no energy and was eating 700 calories a day. That was her problem (the 700 calories a day). She was drinking a lot of soda and energy drinks but no water. Her body was in starvation mode. She had been doing this for a long time!

We know that she was eating 700 calories a day because she diligently tracked her food for one+ weeks once we started working together. She had no medical issues to speak of. So, no concerns there.

What we did was get her on a Reverse Diet. We upped her calories week by week and we got her up to 1050 Calories a day over five weeks (not counting the week+ where she tracked). She also worked up to eight glasses of water a day and completely stopped the soda and energy drinks. She actually lost eight pounds over those five or six weeks and had a ton of energy.

Now, this may help you or it may not. You are no where near her caloric intake (you are a lot higher - which is a good thing). I know that it sounds counter-intuitive to suggest 'you need to eat more' but that - typically - works. I have never worked with someone who has diabetes (either Type-1 or Type-2). So, I do not know if that is a valid suggestion.

Are you doing any exercise?

And, keep in mind that everyone is different and unique. Even if there were 100 women who had the exact same numbers (gender, height, weight, age) it is very likely that all 100 of you would respond slightly differently to the same "program". What formulas - while they are a great starting point - do not take into account is genetics and 'nutritional history', among other things.

Do you enjoy working with your Case Manager and Dietician and Doctor?
  • barbeegirlly
    Options
    Barbeegirly, I will contribute.

I worked with a lady who was 5'3" and weighed 200lbs (dead even) and had no energy and was eating 700 calories a day. That was her problem (the 700 calories a day). She was drinking a lot of soda and energy drinks but no water. Her body was in starvation mode. She had been doing this for a long time!

We know that she was eating 700 calories a day because she diligently tracked her food for one+ weeks once we started working together. She had no medical issues to speak of. So, no concerns there.

What we did was get her on a Reverse Diet. We upped her calories week by week and we got her up to 1050 Calories a day over five weeks (not counting the week+ where she tracked). She also worked up to eight glasses of water a day and completely stopped the soda and energy drinks. She actually lost eight pounds over those five or six weeks and had a ton of energy.

Now, this may help you or it may not. You are no where near her caloric intake (you are a lot higher - which is a good thing). I know that it sounds counter-intuitive to suggest 'you need to eat more' but that - typically - works. I have never worked with someone who has diabetes (either Type-1 or Type-2). So, I do not know if that is a valid suggestion.

Are you doing any exercise?

And, keep in mind that everyone is different and unique. Even if there were 100 women who had the exact same numbers (gender, height, weight, age) it is very likely that all 100 of you would respond slightly differently to the same "program". What formulas - while they are a great starting point - do not take into account is genetics and 'nutritional history', among other things.

Do you enjoy working with your Case Manager and Dietician and Doctor?

I really love working with my manager and dietician. The doctor, not so much. I really just started working with them. All I drink is ice water. I love ice water. I only have juice or a coke when my sugars are low. Energy drinks have never been my thing. I think they are gross. I was going to the gym and working out. I just started walking again, but I got strep throat this week and I've been laying around not doing anything. This morning is the first that my throat hasn't hurt!