FitBit (or similar device) recommendations?

Options
I've been thinking about getting a FitBit or other similar divice for a while, but never having had one before, I'm not sure what make/model would be best for what I want.

The basic's of what I'd like:

* I'd like something that can sync/connect to MFP and an iPhone 6S.
* My work is very strict on certain things, and we are not allowed to have phones or other things that we might "play" with while at work. Therefore it cannot have the ability to connect to the internet for web browsing or the ability to make phone calls.
* If possible I'd like to find one that would be able to pick up / count more exercises than just your steps (ie act as more than just a pedometer), if that's even a possibility. It would be a bonus if it was waterproof.

And not really a requirement, unless there are some that are better at this than others, but I have a desk job assembly products for a company. Thus, I'm sitting almost all day while at work but my arms are constantly in motion. Not sure if a FitBit type product would give me a false step counter read-out due to this constant motion or not. I'm sure I do burn calories doing it, but probably not as much as if I were actually walking.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me, the question of false positives gets somewhat over-played on the boards here, but in your context it may have more bearing. That would suggest a belt clip type device as a simple pedometer, supplemented with something else for directed activity. The FitBit One is the best known of those.

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have Lenovo hw2 heading my way. I chose it because of price, reviews, and the heart rate monitor. Takes about a month to get time, but most things do here in new zealand.
    I suspect fitbits are overpriced as they are trendy. Do your research, read reviews. There will be compromises with going cheaper, for the Lenovo it was the app is apparently clunky to use. But it hasn't arrived yet so I'm yet to find out!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One! I don't think I get any steps other than from walking (biking, elliptical...) but it certainly wouldn't register doing your kind of work. I wear it on my hip.

I like my fit bit but I really want a Bella Beat!
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge 2 HR, and I highly recommend it for your situation.

-It has a pretty thorough display when it comes to your stats, but it doesn't do much more to be fiddled with. The bells and whistles mostly go through the app, whereas something like their Blaze model, or a Polar, or an Apple Watch all have pretty vibrant, distraction-prone displays.
    -iphone connectivity, so you can get call and text alerts, but they only show caller name or text name and preview (I believe this can be turned off so it only shows the text name) so again, not too obtrusive. You can also shut these alerts off or turn them back on with the push of a button.
    -multiple exercise formats, which are meant to track more accurately depending on what you're doing. I'm not sure how realistic this feature is for most things, but it does seem to make a difference when I set it for elliptical.
    -since tracking is mainly based on heart rate, it seems to be more accurate than most bands I've used, including other FitBit products.
    -while you may get some false positive, i don't think it would be enough to exaggerate beyond what you're actually burning at work. It's actually somewhat difficult to just shake your arm around and pick up steps. I've tried to do that while stuck in the car on road trips (just to hit the hourly goal of 250 steps) and it's tough! I think if it's going to be an issue, it's something you'll run into on any wristband device. But I find the belt clip, wearable stuff far less accurate and harder to wear. I've lost too many clip-ons to the streets to count on those ever again.
    -it tracks a great range of data, such as sleep quality, active minutes, floors climbed, and more. I don't even fully utilize everything it offers, but it's really cool what it can do.
    -I don't LOVE the community there like I do here, but it's got its charms. The main thing I like is that you can participate in "challenges" with other users. This has contributed so much to my motivation to be active.
    -connectivity with MFP, which occasionally is reported to be a little buggy, but for the most part they work well together.
    -decent price point for the standard color models (I have a limited edition lavender strap for no good reason, lol)

I've used several evolutions of FitBits, a Polar, a Huawei Android watch, and an Apple Watch. My brother has a Garmin, which has the fitness orientation of Polar/FitBit combined with the stylishness of real watches, like the Android/Apples go for. While those are also really cool, and I could see some of their models working for your specifications, they can get wayyyyy pricey. I think all around, Charge 2 is a good option.

• natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It might not be allowed with your work, but I don't think it does web browsing or making calls: Fibit just annouced the new Ionic, and it looks pretty great. Built-in gps, waterproof, stored music, plus all of the great features that previous fitbit models offered. I love my Charge 2 from Fitbit that I just got a couple months ago, but I am considering pre-ordering this one because it looks awesome!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    For what you do for a living I WOULD be very wary of any arm based tracker. I had a jawbone until it broke. I loved it so much BUT, I am a massage therapist. So obviously, I cannot wear anything on my arms. I did through a few sessions though just as an experiment. A one hour treatment got me 1500 "steps" but when I tucked the thing into my sock or just counted my actual steps around(and around...) the table it is more like 100.

So, you could wear one and just ignore the steps it tracks while you are at work, you could not wear it at all at work and just remember to put on and take off when you clock in/out, or you could adjust your step goals for a workday(wear it for a while, see what it gives you for work steps on average, then add steps that you would complete during your evenings), though this would mess with calorie reccomendations so not the simplest thing I know.

Jawbone is finally stepping up and crediting me for the broken band. In my little bit of reading I think I have decided to replace it with the Fitbit Alta HR as it is simple, not too bulky and I will use it a lot outside of work.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Ionic....you can preorder it now .... it's not out yet. (I have the Surge and LOVE it but they have taken it off the market...Fitbit has but other retailers are still selling it). Polar A370, Garmin Vivoactive HR and of course there's the beloved Apple Watch. You didn't mention a price point so I'm guessing that's not an issue. I have never owned a polar or garmin but have done extensive research on both and went to the store several times and fantasized about having .... I mean, looked at them. Lol! The Apple Watch is literally an iPhone around your wrist. Good luck!
  • vcatx
    vcatx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a Fitbit zip. It's in the $40-50 price range and clips on your clothes. It's very basic if you are just looking to log steps.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I really love my one. Had a zip but replaced it bc the zip ate through batteries and was a pain to change. Recharging the one is much easier