Stretching

Options
Should i Stretch between workout sets??? I heard this helps muscle to growth.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if your goal is muscle growth, find a program you like and follow what it says to do, and eat.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My friend who is an over 60 Competetive Bodybuilder says Stretching right before or during a workout is counter productive. It actually weakens the muscle and will reduce the weight you can lift.

He does stretch on his days off from lifting along with his cardio work. But if you want to get big his motto is Lift Big (but don't be stupid) and Eat Big (chicken, fish, grass fed beef not powder). Having flexible muscles is good just don't do it when your lifting.

All the best!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Senrak66 wrote: »
    Should i Stretch between workout sets???

between sets, i'd guess not. between workouts . . . here's what my chiro told me way way back in the day before i'd even thought of strength work:

your body does a lot of its repair and recovery work while you sleep. how it recovers is to create actual physical little new strands of muscle tissue, BUT it just kind of creates them and dumps them into the general zone you need them.

he told me it was important to stretch (gently) in the mornings when i woke up during my whiplash recovery, so as to encourage those new fibres to align themselves with the existing tissue.

i hadn't even considered doing strength work back then, but he's pretty into kinesiology and exercise science, and he's still singing the same tune to me now 20 years later: stretch gently AFTER workout, and throughout the recovery days, to encourage the growth of 'smoother' tissue that will be more functional. he calls it 'better quality' muscle, but whatever :tongue:

between sets, what i do is limited mostly to troubleshooting and maybe working on anything that feels like it's affecting my form. if i can't get my chest lifted for one set of squats, i'll try to gently stretch out my pecs, for instance. that kind of thing.