Exercise on HOT days

Options
Hello everyone,
I love to go out and walk. I can walk and walk. It's great exercise and something I can do with my kids. BUT... it gets HOT here! Today will be about 103, and I do not like the heat. Do you have any ideas for indoor workouts? I don't have a treadmill or exercise equipment which would be the obvious alternative, but it's just not in the budget right now. Any ideas would be great help. Thanks!!!

Replies

• sarahazen
    sarahazen Posts: 34
    Options
    early morning or late evening.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hi:)
    I have no idea if it's available to you or not, but on my cable there is an exercise t.v. channel that has all sorts of different workouts... from walking, dancing, the 30day shred, etc. I live in Florida and work outside so i definately know what you mean. Too hot!!!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    jump rope. It burns about 100 calories per ten minutes.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    early morning or late evening.

I wish this would work. I have three kids and early morning will just not happen. Late evening doesn't work because it takes until about 11pm to cool off to about 80! Maybe when the two older kids get back to school in a couple weeks I can do early mornings. Just put the baby in the stroller, and I'm off!!! Thanks !!!
  • Brukiez213
    Brukiez213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last night around 10:00 when it got nice and cool after being somewhere near 100 all day, my family and I took a 3 mile "flashlight" walk around the neighborhood. So much fun!
  • Chemdee
    Chemdee Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a library of exercise DVDs. Many I got for next to nothing at the thrift or other places 2nd hand. It's great to have a variety of things I can easily do in my living room... (even though Richard Simmons is not always my first choice. ;) )
  • espinozAgal
    Options
    Last night around 10:00 when it got nice and cool after being somewhere near 100 all day, my family and I took a 3 mile "flashlight" walk around the neighborhood. So much fun!

That sounds like so much fun...and it takes away the need for my "it's too late" excuse!!! ThaNKS
  • Lissaannco
    Lissaannco Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How about taking the kids to an indoor mall?! You can walk laps around the mall and some of them have indoor play areas for the kids to play in after your walk! We like to walk outdoors as well...we usually try to go early in the morning or late in the evening. We also have wooded trails at our local park that are a little easier to walk on when it's hot out because your are not in the direct sun.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've found that even though the air temp is still high in the evenings, once the sun goes down, it's a lot more tolerable. The humidity is lower and there's no heat index from the sun.
  • espinozAgal
    Options
    How about taking the kids to an indoor mall?! You can walk laps around the mall and some of them have indoor play areas for the kids to play in after your walk! We like to walk outdoors as well...we usually try to go early in the morning or late in the evening. We also have wooded trails at our local park that are a little easier to walk on when it's hot out because your are not in the direct sun.

Great idea... however I'm worse with shopping than I am with eating.. so my checking account would take a beating!! (i really didn't try to be clever and make that rhyme...it just happened) LOL
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! It's soo hot here in westTX! I tried walking in the morning's but getting my almost 2 y.o. son up and ready before it got too hot was difficult. I think I'll wait to continue walking when it's starts getting cooler again.
    As for what you can do at home, exercises such as jogging in place, jumping jacks, jump rope etc, are good to get your heart pumping. Then you can do push-ups, squats, russian twists, crunches(regular, reverse, & obliques). You could always search on google, youtube, and I'm sure quite a few other places to find some good workouts that you can do. Some exercises require hand weights, but if you don't have any, you could always try to find something similar in weight to use. For example, if you were doing arm exercises you could use bottles of water to give you some extra weight.
    Hope this helps!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I use my basement for most of my indoor workouts (besides going to karate and walking with hubby) I use 30 day shred, $10 at walmart, an exercise mat and 3# and 5# hand weights from Ocean State Job Lot (a discount store, like Big Lots, Building 19 etc) all cost me under $25. The dvd has 3 levels, you can do one level in 20 minutes or do more, your choice, but it is a great workout that combines cardio and light weights for an all over workout. I don't do it as planned, 10 days straight each level, I use it as my go-to when I'm not on the treadmill or at karate, and I find it just enough. I also rent dvd's through netflix when I want a change of pace.
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    TV exercise channels, stairs,

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/body-by-design/the-essential-over-40-workout/article/111d3476be8b2210VgnVCM10000030281eac____

Great indoor workout w/ resistance training regardless of age. $9 for box set 3 ribbons at different levels (Walmart)

Must be in Tx! Going to be no less than 104 for next 5 days here ..
  • espinozAgal
    Options
    No I'm not in Texas. I'm in CA. It's not humid here...just a dry heat so when I walk outside it's like opening the over and stepping in!
  • 69Jax69
    69Jax69 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm going out in the evening or early morning to avoid the heat!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i go in the evenings (mornings would work too, but i am too cranky for that). do you have a Wii Fit or anything? maybe some exercise dvds?
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's been hot here for the last month or so, and I can tell you that working out while outside is pure torture. Although, during the winter months, it's also torture for the opposite reason, so I have taught myself to workout inside whenever necessary.

I like to jump rope outside, but today, I just did it in the garage. I moved my car out and completed my workout in the shade. It's probably a good 10-15 degrees cooler in the garage than it is outside.

I also lifted dumbbells inside in the a/c. Although, once I really got going, I couldnt' tell I was in air condiitoning, because I was sweating.
  • espinozAgal
    Options
    THanks everyone. I got some really good ideas. We have wii fit, and don't ask me why I haven't used it!! My husband also went out and got us Wii Active... so that was really thoughtful of him. I take some meds that make my temp go up, so on hot days it's even worse. I can't tolerate heat very well.
    I'm going to try an indoor workout today!!
  • silver02bullet
    silver02bullet Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I also like to walk. My indoor alternative is Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. I love it! And you can do it however long you want!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    There's plenty you can do at home.. with just 10, 15 lb weights

No weights? use plastic gal containers, fill them up with water and you can adjust the weight.

Do these in a circuit

Lunge
    Bent over Row
    Overhead Press ( you can skip this if you're using the gal containers )
    Deadlift
    Bicep Curls
    Pushups
    Tricep Kickbacks ( you can use a book )