How often do you weigh yourself ?

Options
I weigh myself once a week. I was told that I should do it everyday to see how much you fluctuate so I can see if I am loosing weight.

What are your thoughts?. I am on a cut.

Replies

• zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I get a little caught up in the fluctuations if I weigh every day, and tend to make some poor choices. I weigh once a week, and at about the same time.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh daily and use the app trendweight to track fluctuations. My weight fluctuates a lot so a weekly weigh in could be totally discouraging if I saw a 4lb increase without being aware.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Daily you see it fluc up and you see it fluc down. Eventually you realize it's mostly water every day.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday unless I have had a bad eating day because I know I am going to go up a lot more due to water weight but weighing in everyday has made me more successful with keeping myself accountable than weighing in weekly or monthly.

I also go by the average and whatever is the most consistent that week, I set as my new weight for the week.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. For some it will be daily, others weekly, others monthly and some never, instead relying on a tape measure and/or how their clothes fit. If weekly works then don't change simply because someone has said you should.
  • vonmarks
    vonmarks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some say to never look at the scale and some say to watch it every day. It does seem to be 50/50. I look at it several times throughout a day. It's an obsession. I like to see how much I change after and before workouts, meals or even after big glasses of water. But, I only log it once a day and that is when I get up in the morning. To me knowing my goal number and the number on the scale at any given time helps me stay focused when I think I can "cheat". If I'm on track I have no problem with an extra snack but if I'm behind I tend to push harder during my workouts and it makes it easier for me to talk myself out of a snack even if that snack is only 150 cals.
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Every week at least. When I wake up with no water. When I arrive to the gym. After I finish working out.
    I also weigh myself a day after "eating bad" to see if I gained weight. Yet, to my surprise I haven't gained any weight after those bad days.
  • ximacloudx
    ximacloudx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but less because I look at the number and more because if I'm not in the daily habit I'll fall off track
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Every two week
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Usually 5-7x per week
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Daily.. first thing in the morning and I use a weight trending app.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sunday mornings when I get up after I pee. Any more than that drives me crazy with the fluctuations.
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Daily.. first thing in the morning and I use a weight trending app.

What app do you like? I have a fitbit with a scale so probably that is sufficient. I am new here, but think that if I do not start the daily weigh in I will not get to know my body as well as I could. I have more mental trouble logging my food as I have never done that. I think I can weight myself daily without duress. I have 20 to lose.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Everyday, first thing in the morning after I pee. :)
  • fitjam00
    fitjam00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Daily is too much of an emotional roller coaster for me, when I used to do it that way, a fluctuation could really screw up my day
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I was told that I should do it everyday to see how much you fluctuate so I can see if I am loosing weight.

What are your thoughts?. I am on a cut.

I definitely wouldn't advise weighing yourself daily.
    Oftentimes the result is feeling discouraged from seeing your body fluctuate in weight from day to day.
    (As water retention, bloating, along with other things can contribute to this fluctuation)

Weekly is a great, and honestly the scale isn't the be-all-end-all, as measurements are a great way to track WHERE the weight is coming off, as well as muscle tone! Muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale for some can be deceiving.
  • Sheri8836
    Sheri8836 Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Daily, every morning after coffee and potty break.

• Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What I realized -- and what I forgot to mention-- is to not get upset with the number. What I do now is make adjustments based upon what I see. Getting upset will not accomplish anything unless you plan to do something about it. Trying something different: diet, exercise, changing habits, and etc.