BAD LASIK experiences?

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
Not entirely sure if Chit-chat is the right place for this discussion, but I didn't find too many threads on this in the search.

Has anybody had a BAD LASIK experience? I'm totally freaking out about my upcoming procedure and kind of want to go into it with my eyes open (pun intended).

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just got it done and everything went great! He's so glad he did it.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've had two co workers do it and they've both said it was the best thing they ever did.

The only problem one of them had was that she had really dry eyes maybe a week or so after but they gave her some eye drops and she was back to normal pretty quickly
  • aeloine
    Options
    Haha I posted on FB about this, too, and just got a bunch of puns and comments from people who know people who've had it. Hoping that since this is a MUCH bigger community, I'll get a little more insight.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BEST THING EVER!!!!! I wore glasses for 32 years with a very strong prescription , and getting laser eye surgery last year was the best thing I've ever done!! Don't be anxious, be excited!!!!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    B)

Yes.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    So I didn't have it done because the consult scared me.

The Dr said I was an ideal candidate...then told me the price...then told me that if I wanted the laser that "preserved more corneal tissue" it would be a different (more expensive) price!

I didn't want bargain laser eye surgery! Of course I want to "preserve more corneal tissue". I was kinda horrified that there were different 'quality' of lasers being offered.

That being said, I have only ever met 1 person who hasn't been happy with it, and he didn't really say why.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help you. No bad story from me. Mine was great. Had it done about 12 years ago. I <3 my results. Life changing! The first time I saw the leaves on trees - all the little details through my own eyes - it was magic! o:)
  • aeloine
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

The Dr said I was an ideal candidate...then told me the price...then told me that if I wanted the laser that "preserved more corneal tissue" it would be a different (more expensive) price!

I didn't want bargain laser eye surgery! Of course I want to "preserve more corneal tissue". I was kinda horrified that there were different 'quality' of lasers being offered.

That being said, I have only ever met 1 person who hasn't been happy with it, and he didn't really say why.

I'm just seeing a lot of horror stories about how it underrepresents the complications statistics by marking them as temporary side effects.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

I'm just seeing a lot of horror stories about how it underrepresents the complications statistics by marking them as temporary side effects.

While sometimes I would love to not have to wear glasses or contacts, I wasn't willing to take the chance. I was totally willing until they offered me a difference in procedures...like just offer the safest one!

All of the people I have met who have had Lasik have been happy except the one. Sometimes I still consider it.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I had it done a few years ago. The actual experience was not too bad, although slightly terrifying when the dr told me to look directly at the red light and NOT MOVE MY EYE, and I saw three red lights.

Healing time took almost two months for the bruising to go away. I'm told that's abnormal.

Within two years of having it, I was back in glasses. The actual correction isn't too bad, something like .5 diopters, but it's the astigmatism I have in both eyes that lasik didn't fix.

They offered me a free re-do. I'm good.

Having said all that, I'd do it all over again. My night vision isn't great, and my eyes are constantly dry.. still better than jerking around with contacts every day.

My correction at the time of lasik was 3.5 and 3.75 diopters. I was within the 'ideal candidate' range.

My sister had it done at the same place not long after me, and she has had zero complications. She couldn't be happier.
  • aeloine
    Options

While sometimes I would love to not have to wear glasses or contacts, I wasn't willing to take the chance. I was totally willing until they offered me a difference in procedures...like just offer the safest one!

All of the people I have met who have had Lasik have been happy except the one. Sometimes I still consider it.

It's that ONE I'm curious about. What happened there?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A friend had it done and they messed up the pain meds or something so he felt some of it... ugh. And his night vision is bad now (that was 10 years ago though).

I'm too chicken to do it, and I have astigmatism too. Don't see the point if I have to be back in glasses after. I have a high prescription too...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've known many people who had it, loved it, and were back in glasses or contacts within 5 years. That is the reason I won't consider it. I'm sure many many people don't have that experience, and are happy with their vision for a decade or more post-surgery...but it's not worth it to me.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    one of my many useful excuses is: "I'm sorry, I couldn't see that; I wasn't wearing my glasses. It's not my fault."

with lasik, that excuse is null and void..... and unacceptable
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    one of my many useful excuses is: "I'm sorry, I couldn't see that; I wasn't wearing my glasses. It's not my fault."

with lasik, that excuse is null and void..... and unacceptable

I like having "optional" vision. Sometimes if I get nervous or anxious or shy I take my glasses off and have that "If I can't see you, you can't see me security! If I'm wearing contacts I just have to blur my vision or stare at the floor.
  • Vikka_V
    Options

It's that ONE I'm curious about. What happened there?

Don't know, he was some guy I was talking to at a bar and we were talking about Lasik and he said his sister had it done and had to have it redone, the correction wasn't right. He had it done and his vision was fine, but he said he wouldn't do it again. I don't know why.
  • aeloine
    Options
    I've always had better than 20/20 vision. I have such a hard time imagining not having excellent vision. I just realized I have nothing constructive to add to this other than if you have a chance to make your vision better, do it.

Except that it could end up worse, so....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've always had better than 20/20 vision. I have such a hard time imagining not having excellent vision. I just realized I have nothing constructive to add to this other than if you have a chance to make your vision better, do it.

Except that it could end up worse, so....

Well, if you're really uncomfortable with it, you probably shouldn't do it. Go with your gut. B)

P.S. (I LOVED my results, personally...)
  • mtlj765
    mtlj765 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had LASIK about 13 years ago and I wish I had done it sooner. No problems, I was 20/20 less than 12 hours after surgery. Just make sure to use a reputable surgeon-this is not a time to go with bargain prices!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Had mine 15 years ago and had great results. I struggled with contact lenses then trifocals which kept getting stronger and stronger. My night vision was terrible with glasses. My vision now is perfect (I need reading glasses but that was because I needed such a large correction and now age), and it corrected my astigmatism. My night vision is much improved. I am really happy that I had it done. The actual procedure was really fast. I followed all the after care instructions to the letter and had no problems. I am sure that the procedure has improved since I had it done, I wouldn't hesitate to go in for a "touch up" if I ever needed it.