Fish!

Options
How often can you eat fish. I know about the mercury thing but i mean little fish. I started eating sardines and can eat them everyday but am not sure if it is ok. And I see on their nutrition label thet are extremely healthy for you.

Replies

• rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If they are good them eat them. I don't like sardines, so I don't know. But I would think they have lots of sodium. But again, I don't know
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sardines are small and low on the food chain so mercury should be less of an issue. The bigger the fish, such as tuna, the more time it has to accumulate mercury.

Also, even though it's not recommended in America for pregnant women to eat too much tuna because mercury causes developmental problems, studies of cultures other than America such as Japan where pregnant women eat it all the time show fewer problems than we have. So the reality doesn't seem to match the theory.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sardines should be pretty safe considering they are small, and eat plankton.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sardines are safe to eat every day, but do aim for variety :)
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Chomp into that fish!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I tried to look for a straightforward answer but it's complicated. Yes, sardines are listed among the low-mercury options but the feds still recommend limiting fish to a few meals per week. They also say mercury isn't the only thing to worry about. Still-in-all, there are plenty of societies that eat fish all the time. I mean, are you worse off with the digoxine in some fish, the antibiotics in some meats, or the herbicides on some veg? Who knows?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the salt and oil.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I will broil cod or flounder with seasoning and Panko crumbs. So yummy!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm very fortunate to live on a tropical island and and I eat fresh fish several times a week. Different varieties of grouper, snapper, tilefish, kingfish, porgie, lionfish...yum!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I tried to look for a straightforward answer but it's complicated. Yes, sardines are listed among the low-mercury options but the feds still recommend limiting fish to a few meals per week. They also say mercury isn't the only thing to worry about. Still-in-all, there are plenty of societies that eat fish all the time. I mean, are you worse off with the digoxine in some fish, the antibiotics in some meats, or the herbicides on some veg? Who knows?

I said "aim for variety" not just for the wider range of nutrients, but also to reduce the risk from each food. Every food has its own risk and its own poisons, naturally or from pollution. If you eat a little bit of everything, you will even be less bored, and find it easier to stay on track, calorie wise.