How do you make it through a long workout?

Options
I see people posting that they did 80-120 minutes of cardio. I can walk for that long. I have not, however, rode bike, used the elliptical, or done workout dvds for that long at one time. In fact, I cannot imagine exercising for that long in one shot! I am 208lbs and very out of shape. For me, 20 minutes of cardio is enough for me to be weak in the knees, shaking, and struggling to catch my breath. Is this something that just takes time to build up to? My husband gets upset with me and says that I am not trying and I need to push myself, but it wasn't until we went for a bike ride together that he saw how hard it actually was for me. He saw with his own eyes that I was pushing myself far beyond what was easy or comfortable and that I wasn't just taking an easy route.

Replies

• emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    longest ive ever done without ever stopping was an hour on the tredmill! lol
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    It is definitely something you need to build up to. When I started working out regularly (2008) I started with 10-20 minutes of elliptical per day. Small, slow changes are the most effective. Being out of shape and trying to jump into a 2-hour workout is a recipe for disaster and hurting yourself.

Also, I only recently increased from 30 minutes per day to 45-60. The reason? Once I started MFP and changed my eating habits (more fruits and veggies, no soda, no fast food, no fried food), my energy levels skyrocketed and I naturally wanted to go longer.

Work up gradually in your cardio, and as you slowly make healthier food choices, your energy should begin to make you actually *want* longer cardio sessions :-)

Don't rush it. Take it slow. You'll do great.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It doesn't happen over night. When I started there's NO WAY I could do those things for 40 min or an hour etc. It takes time to build up to that, and not everyone has time for an hour or an hour and a half of workout a day.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It doesn't happen over night. When I started there's NO WAY I could do those things for 40 min or an hour etc. It takes time to build up to that, and not everyone has time for an hour or an hour and a half of workout a day.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes it takes awhile to build up your endurance. When I first bought my elliptical, I couldn't even do it for 5 mins!! I felt sooo out of shape because I was!! Just increase it by a few minutes each time . I can now easily do 45 mins on the elliptical and then do the treadmill to but it took baby steps for me to get to this point. Just do what you can do:) Good luck!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Usually people are doing extra exercises and all of them added together equal that much. If you did weights for a hour, then a aerobics class, or went running or walking, its easy to get up to that much. As you lose weight, and build up endurance, it will get easier for you to do more... Good luck!!! :D
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to build up to it, but you'll also want to build up to it using strength training. Also, if you know you'll be working out for an hour+, make sure you eat something an hour before working out. I usually eat an apple in the morning, and then an hour later, start a long workout. I hope this helps! <3
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I bet a lot of people break up their workouts. I don't usually workout more than an hour at a time, but some days I will do a half hour DVD in the morning, take a walk with the little kids I babysit in the afternoon and possibly go to the gym while my son's at his karate class at night. that could add up to almost 2 hours in a day. That's not most days. I'm trying not to be compulsive about exercise.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The people doing these long sessions are doing just that, walking.

Don't join them wasting time. Go hard, go fast, then go home
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I usually hit 100 minutes or so and would be bored out of my skull if it was all one activity. I walk daily (speed and time varies depending on other exercises planned for the day), I jog 3-4 times a week and I circuit train. I often throw zumba or swimming in there too.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Def think it takes time to build up to that kind of stamina. I'm nowhere near that...but I used to be, years ago. When I started back to working out recently, I started with 15 min, and even that was a challenge. I'm up to 30 minutes now, and will move up again soon. It just takes time. Of course, I don't have *time*to work out for that many minutes these days. Ah...life with a toddler! :)
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    longest I've ever done is three hours dancing/12 hours hiking...it all depends on fitness and stamina. If you have neither then there's very little you can do, just keep pushing yourelf and work up to it.
  • KristaWeiss
    KristaWeiss Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It takes time and determination. I taught kickboxing for a martial arts school tha wast a "no joke" class. I had several people wear calorie counter watches and we burned 700+ in one hour. I had people from martial artesst to new mother's. I am having to start over myself after a round of set backs. Your husband is right to a degree, you need to push yourself but maybe by 5 extra mins every 2 weeks until you get to a level you want and are comfortable with. Your body will naturally want to go longer the more you condition it so don't give up!!!!
  • miss84
    miss84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always have my music on realy loud when im exercising, i have it that loud that I cant hear myself breathing, its a good distraction. Also when im on the treadmill I set up my laptop infront of me, and put on a tv show or movie! Helps you forgot that you are puffing and working it hard!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Your husband is right to a degree, you need to push yourself but maybe by 5 extra mins every 2 weeks until you get to a level you want and are comfortable with.

You are absolutely right. What I was trying to convey in my original post was that in his mind, I was just going out for a leisurely ride. The reality was that in order to finish the 20 minutes, I was definitely pushing myself. I did find that the same route is getting easier, so now I can add to it to get the challenge back.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It is definitely something that you have to build up. When I started, I could barely make it to 30 minutes. Every week, I tried to push myself further and further. Now, I can do 60 minutes straight of cardio without stopping.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Lots of breaks if I have to. I don't do hardcore workouts like a lot of others but when I work out for more than an hour, it's usually more than one thing all combined. For workout videos, I usually have to take a couple breaks but if I'm using a machine, I try to gradually increase resistance or speed so I can maintain it.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    longest i did was 73 on a dvd of step and hour of running and walking. So dont worry about it im working up to it myself. I started off by doing something that i knew i can sustain for over 20 mints then work up to it every week a little more. It may take longer but you dont start off jogging for and hour, you walk an hour and then you add a little shuffle for three mints and walk for 10 then keep doing this slow is better you dont want injury.Try to just walk for a while, you will be happier later, be consistant and dont give up. Dont try to listen to someone putting you down, do your best and add a few mints every week. If you walk for hour now just do it every day your speed will get better as the weight falls off.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    A lot of people break them up. Three days a week I workout twice a day, so I might post up 120 minute workouts. Those aren't straight minutes though.

You have to build up. If you don't you could really injure yourself. You will get there though, I promise. I remember when I couldn't run for 2 minutes straight, I ran for an hour this morning. Before you know it you WILL be doing 120 minutes straight on the bike!

Def. change your route. That will really help. Also, you may want to invest in a heart rate monitor if you don't already have one. That way you can properly monitor your HR and you'll know exactly how hard you can push and when you need to back off.