If you want thin legs DO NOT lift weights!?!?!?

Options
I see this in a lot of places. You have too much muscle keeping you from slim legs and if you want them thinner do not by any means do weight training or any exercise that might build muscle. Is this total bull or a sad truth?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It also depends on what you consider "thin" vs fit vs strong vs big vs bulky vs whatever other label you want to use.

This is true. I am sure my legs would be labelled too muscular for some people. Different strokes I guess
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do you want weak flabby legs or stronger and firmer legs?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No one, male or female, gets big by accident. Bodybuilders take years and years of hard work to develop the physiques they have and even then if you look at many of the "natural" ones they're not what would be considered massive.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It also depends on what you consider "thin" vs fit vs strong vs big vs bulky vs whatever other label you want to use.

Pretty much this...
    I see this in a lot of places. You have too much muscle keeping you from slim legs and if you want them thinner do not by any means do weight training or any exercise that might build muscle. Is this total bull or a sad truth?

basically what you're talking about is letting your muscles atrophy...you'll likely regret that later in life...
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My thighs at the thickest part are 15.5" which I think is slim. I lift weights & do tons of lunges & squats, I used to dance & was a cheerleader. I think if my legs were going to get huge, it would have happened by now.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

it's probably genetics to about the same extent as any other body area. i've seen tiny little toothpick women in the gym who could probably put both legs into one side of my pants. and who are four or five or six times stronger than me, in terms of actual weight on the bar.

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The girls I see at the olympic lifting gym all have beautiful legs. Muscular but not ripped or anything. I don't know too many guys that would say they're too "bulky". But they would probably say they're hot haha! Squats really firm up everything in your lower body...legs, butt, core, etc. Any of the girls I've seen that squat on a regular basis all look really good.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Usually if I see a woman with legs that may be considered bulky, it's due to the layer of fat over the muscle. It isn't the muscle itself.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat (being a normal BMI but without any muscle mass) is a health risk, just the same as being overweight or obese. Slack scrawny legs without any muscle may be common on models, but that doesn't mean you should emulate them. Choose to be strong and you will end up being beautiful as a side effect.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    OP you need to define what you mean by Big...

as you can see most feel muscled legs on a lady aren't big...but at the same time you might...
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to gain inches on them from weight training. My goal is to loose inches. I don't want super muscular quads. I want to slim them down and tone them. Basically I don't want them to get bigger from too much muscle.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to gain inches on them from weight training. My goal is to loose inches. I don't want super muscular quads. I want to slim them down and tone them. Basically I don't want them to get bigger from too much muscle.

Just skip leg day ... loads of Johnny Bravo's at my local gym can give you advice on that.

Alternatively tone your legs instead.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You are not going to get truly super muscular quads without intentionally building them.

I suggest taking measurements and then starting on a full body training plan. Depending on if you have excess fat to lose and how much, eat at maintenance or a bit of a deficit. Look in the mirror and take measurements to gauge progress. Like I said before, growing legs, nearly any muscle really, takes work and it takes time. Nobody accidentally becomes a highly skilled concert pianist and nobody accidentally becomes a highly muscular bodybuilder.