Binge Eating

Options

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    krose4514 wrote: »
    If you mean real bingeing and not just overeating, this is something I've struggled with and I know how hard it can be to overcome. While I haven't completely eliminated binges, I've been able to significantly reduce the frequency. Some techniques that have worked for me are:

1. In the beginning the only thing that worked after years of trying to get it out of control without success was to STOP trying to lose weight. At least temporarily. For me I had to start with only one goal: No bingeing. I could eat whatever I wanted and over calories even as long as it wasn't a true binge. After that was a bit more under control, I could move on to other goals.
    2. If I feel like I'm starting on a binge, I try to tell myself "if I stop now, it won't actually be a binge. It won't be a great day, but at least it won't be a binge" (or "at least it won't be as bad as it would have been if I had continued bingeing")
    3. Remind myself of how I will feel after the binge (worse) and ask myself if I can support feeling that way for the rest of my life (No)
    4. Ask myself if I would be willing to eat what I was eating in front of other people. If the answer is no, I try to convince myself that I shouldn't be doing something I'm ashamed of in private either.
    5. Staying away from the scale and even calorie counting for a while and trying to focus on how I feel. Asking myself if what I'm putting in my body is making me feel better or worse (particularly useful after a few days binge-free when I can feel the difference)

It may not work for everyone, but just keep going until you figure out what works for you!

These are great steps and I've used all of them when I was under treatment for my Binge Eating Disorder (& still binge free since 5-7-2017).
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I am a "binge eater" per se, but I have had episodes of an uncontrollable compulsion to eat. What I found out from experience is these nearly always happened when I foolishly ran up high deficits or even net negatives and did not adjust my food intake accordingly.

I am a distance runner so I tend to run high deficits on occasion, and stubbornly refusing to increase my calories would cause me to wake up in the middle of the night starving and raiding the fridge for the first thing I could find. I remember at first when this used to happen I was convinced I suffered from "binge eating disorder". The reality is my body was just screaming out in agony for food that I was depriving it of. I lived and learned.
  • dvastyle
    dvastyle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to focus your energy on something else. For example, substitutions. If I binge eat, I would add exercise time. For example, I had three glazed donuts which totaled 600 calories. I knew that binge eating was only a mental setback for me. Instead, I decided to walk outside for 45 minutes in order to lose some of what I ate. Good luck! :)
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I can't say that I am a "binge eater" per se, but I have had episodes of an uncontrollable compulsion to eat. What I found out from experience is these nearly always happened when I foolishly ran up high deficits or even net negatives and did not adjust my food intake accordingly.

This is true for me as well; however, there are times when I have the uncontrollable urge but I know it's not because I've restricted too much. I know something is bothering me, and I have to just sit (or stand) there for a few moments and ask myself, "Why do I feel the urge to eat this? What is bothering me?" Once I identify what is bothering me, it's (sometimes) easier to avoid the binge, or at least acknowledge I'm eating out of stress and try to control how much I eat.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have been struggling with binge eating for most of my life. As it's truly a mental illness, I know that binge eating can't just be "fixed". I've seen a therapist and tried tirelessly to battle this disorder. It's taken it's toll on both my mental and physical health.

Perhaps it's a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions for "avoiding" binges? Has anyone ever been able to stop while they're in the midst of one?

@ashleyconleche ,

There is a Binge Eating support group on here on MyFitnessPal that's quite active ( even daily) that you might find useful.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group

For myself, I've found it best to be proactive with binge eating to stop them long before they have a chance to happen because once they start, they seem impossible to stop.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    krose4514 wrote: »
    If you mean real bingeing and not just overeating, this is something I've struggled with and I know how hard it can be to overcome. While I haven't completely eliminated binges, I've been able to significantly reduce the frequency. Some techniques that have worked for me are:

1. In the beginning the only thing that worked after years of trying to get it out of control without success was to STOP trying to lose weight. At least temporarily. For me I had to start with only one goal: No bingeing. I could eat whatever I wanted and over calories even as long as it wasn't a true binge. After that was a bit more under control, I could move on to other goals.
    2. If I feel like I'm starting on a binge, I try to tell myself "if I stop now, it won't actually be a binge. It won't be a great day, but at least it won't be a binge" (or "at least it won't be as bad as it would have been if I had continued bingeing")
    3. Remind myself of how I will feel after the binge (worse) and ask myself if I can support feeling that way for the rest of my life (No)
    4. Ask myself if I would be willing to eat what I was eating in front of other people. If the answer is no, I try to convince myself that I shouldn't be doing something I'm ashamed of in private either.
    5. Staying away from the scale and even calorie counting for a while and trying to focus on how I feel. Asking myself if what I'm putting in my body is making me feel better or worse (particularly useful after a few days binge-free when I can feel the difference)

It may not work for everyone, but just keep going until you figure out what works for you!

This is the best list ever.

As am extension of (4): just the process of logging my food helped me realize how often I feel ashamed to admit what I ate/how much I ate, even to myself.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @BarneyRubbleMD Thanks for the head's up about the group! I definitely agree that once a binge starts, it's almost impossible to stop, so definitely important to get ahead of them.

@timtam163 Logging my food intake was really eye-opening for me as well!
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have BED and I do know that they are doing clinical trials in my area...the only thing I can really think of is medication for a short time while behavior and habits are worked on...
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    76Crane76 wrote: »
    I have BED and I do know that they are doing clinical trials in my area...the only thing I can really think of is medication for a short time while behavior and habits are worked on...

Medication has helped me quite a bit with my BED. I don't think I'd have it under control without it.

I'm on a low dose (75mg) of Topamax to help control my urges to binge and it works very well for me--I haven't had a cupcake or even a desire for one since May 7th, which is bizarre, as I use to binge on them all the time. Others have found Vyvance helpful with reducing the urges to binge. I wanted to try Vyvance but it can raise blood pressure (which I also take meds for) so I went with Topamax instead. Even at a 50mg dose, I noticed a binge eating urge reduction improvement. When I get to my goal weight I'll be curious if I'll still need to take it or if due to eating at maintenance calories I'll no longer feel the urge to binge.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested Vyvanse, but I'm still a little hesitant to try it. I've had a lot of bad experiences with medication, so I prefer to not take it if I don't have to.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The book Brain Over Binge is a godsend. It has helped thousands of people, good luck and read it now. It will change your life.
  • Riplenater
    Riplenater Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I don't meet the diagnostic criteria for BED. But I have struggled with binging. For me, the only time I've been able to stop a binge is to get in front of it and recognize the kinds of feelings I have when they're about to start. Recognizing and naming the emotions gives me ammunition and some control over the binge. "I don't want to eat, this is just anxiety. I don't need that food, this is just about xyz. No really, we'll get over this." And so on. It's still going to be a long night fighting it. The feelings can consume my life for hours when I'm trying to stop a binge. There are times when I think it would be easier to just binge (but not better).

HALT is an acronym I learned here. Don't let yourself get too Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired. These are times we're more likely to binge. I add an extra A for Anxiety for myself. Getting in front of those things can help some.

Big binger here and yes yes yes to this. Anger binge is a big one for me. I'm just like eff it, I'm going to eat the house.
  • DetectiveCookieMonster
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. I read something that sounded really silly to me about it before ... and the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.
    It was something along the lines of... if you're feeling a binge come on... set a timer for 1 minute... once that minute is up, eat.
    Every time from there when you feel one come on, add a minute to the timer... eventually so much time will pass that the urge to binge will also pass.
    It give you control over the food rather than the food control over you.
    Even just that one minute... instead of indulging immediately. You wait the minute.. that minute is YOUR control.
    Worth a shot :) I'm definitely going to try this. Because realistically... (for me anyway) there's no stopping until I snap back to reality
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Wiggymommy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if my binge eating is the same reasons as yours. I think mine was more diet related. Once I switched to a high protein diet I don't get the urge to eat all the foods. It's like a light switched off. Staying away from sugar helps too. When I stray from my healthier eating I binge way more. Sometimes it's like my stomach is a bottomless pit and I literally feel ravenous no matter how much I eat.

Ya, more protein and less sugar helps me for sure. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and a regular exercise program also help me not self-medicate with food.
  • kshama2001
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of sugar free gum, eat a lot of peanut butter, and drink a lot of water. Sometimes if I sit and eat too much I get up and go a quick run to get my mind off of eating because once I start eating I have a hard time stopping.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My doctor suggested Vyvanse, but I'm still a little hesitant to try it. I've had a lot of bad experiences with medication, so I prefer to not take it if I don't have to.

@Look_Its_Kriss you've had success with Vyvanse, yes?
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I absolutely hated vyvanse and regret taking it so much. It made my appetite disappear for a few weeks but all it really did was make me feel crazy, my extremities were ice cold, my mouth was constantly dry, and I would shake/have "tic" like movements. Counseling and logging helped me overcome BED!

ETA: they also have to keep increasing the dosage because it's an amphetamine and your body will start to get used to it.
  • brishaw5662
    brishaw5662 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread!
    I am on topiramite for my migraines already but I also struggle with binge eating.
    How much and at what time of the day did you take topamax and saw results??
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    Just found this thread!
    I am on topiramite for my migraines already but I also struggle with binge eating.
    How much and at what time of the day did you take topamax and saw results??

I take 75mg of Topiramate (generic for Topamax) for binge eating, taken at night before bed. That is a very low dose but it works wonders for me at removing the urge to binge when I'm around my "trigger" foods. It also helps cut down on the "hyper-palatability" of some foods like pizza, Doritos, etc so that the "wow factor" (how I describe it) isn't so great & I'm not so drawn back to them to eat them again and again. I plan to stay on Topiramate until I reach my goal weight before I see if I can then do without it.