Protein intake

Options
How can I get 100g protein daily on a budget?
I have lost 20lbs over last 4 months through calorie counting (informed decisions), and moderate exercise. My daily calorie intake is aimed at 2,200, however I am struggling to eat enough protein. I don't want to take powders or supplement, nor do I want a chicken breast heavy diet....
All advice, comments appreciated

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Most meat, Fish, Cottage Cheese, Yoghurt, Eggs, Leafy Greens, Grains, Nuts

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Low fat minced beef.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Tinned tuna. Egg whites. Natural yoghurt...

I think a WPI would be the best bang for buck, but you don't want powder. If you're on a budget, is there a good reason to avoid them?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Consider if allowing more fat makes it easier to get in more protein while still keeping expenses low. Many delicious protein rich foods are also high in fat. It's usually "lean protein" that is expensive.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I wonder why no protein powder. If I need protein, I can get 25grams of protein for .57cents and only 110 calories.
  • daddygreig135
    daddygreig135 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, great pointers now giving me more options than I had myself.....
    @TheWJordinWJordin I just have it in my mind I want just 'real food'.....I know it can be open to manipulation and tampering with, but makes my mind sit easier
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Beans. Can't get much cheaper and there are a lot of current kinds.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @TheWJordinWJordin I just have it in my mind I want just 'real food'.....I know it can be open to manipulation and tampering with, but makes my mind sit easier

Ingredients list on my protein powder:

Pea protein isolate
    Natural strawberry flavour
    Beetroot powder
    Ketemfe fruit extract (thaumatin)
    Natural vanilla flavour

Looks like real food to me...

ETA: also delicious. I look forward to my strawberry (or chocolate) milkshake every night.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No protein, no meat in the diet?
    I suggest hummus too
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options

Would mixing protein powder into another food make it more like "real food"? Cause you could always add a scoop to a bowl of Cream of Wheat in the morning.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I wonder why no protein powder. If I need protein, I can get 25grams of protein for .57cents and only 110 calories.

My chocolate whey, mixed berries and banana smoothie is one of the greatest joys of my day and NO one is going to tell me it is not real food!! Winning!! ;)
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get 52 grams of protein every morning just from eggs and egg whites, my calorie goal is a few hundred smaller than yours and it easily fits!

Greek yogurt is stupid pricey where I live (7 dollars for 4 servings) but you can make your own as well with whole milk and a bit of yogurt as a starter so thats cool.

Cottage cheese, beans, fish and ground meats are all pretty cheap. Chicken breast here costs at min, 2 dollars a breast. I can get 4lbs of ground turkey for 10 dollars though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,822 Member
    Options
    Egg whites (I mix up to 150g or so with 50g egg for taste, color, and nutrients).

Legumes and starches eaten within the same day or so.

Classic one would be Dahl/lentils and/or chickpeas/chana served over rice.

You could even do something interesting like use gram flour (chickpea) flour and mix it with rice flour and make...

Check out vegetarian and Indian recipes for ideas

Or for that matter peas. I like peas. Mmmmm peas....

Surprisingly I don't think people mentioned fish or pork as alternatives to chicken.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Animal based sources of protein:
    Meat (poultry is generally higher in protein than red meat/fattier cuts)
    Fish
    Dairy (cottage cheese, greek yogurt have a decent ratio of cals to protein compared to a lot of others)
    Eggs.

Non animal based sources of protein:
    Lentils - dried have a higher % than canned
    Chickpeas
    Beans
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Grains
    Veg like peas, broccoli
    Meat subs like soy/tofu and wheat gluten (seitan)

My protein goal is 77g in 2050 cals, I don't have animal based products or supplements, and it seems reasonable enough so can definitely be done without relying on chicken. Plus grains, lentils etc are really cheap!
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I kinda get where he's coming from because some people critic "drinking" your calories because then you get used to drinking it and not eating "real" food like on a plate or having a meal. I know when I asked about protein shakes on here I got a lot of hubbub about it lol it was suggested to ditch them since I wouldn't be learning how to "diet properly" then would gain it all back once I wasn't "dieting" anymore. Did I listen? Hell no lol because in almost 2 months it has actually helped me out a lot time wise, energy wise, and helps me meet my macros. Plus I've lost 15 pounds! But for OP, I suggest you get an unflavored one and add it into an oatmeal or maybe even a soup. You won't even know it's there! :) Or check out Pinterest. they have a lot of ideas that show you what foods have more protein than others and you can get an idea of meals too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How can I get 100g protein daily on a budget?
    I have lost 20lbs over last 4 months through calorie counting (informed decisions), and moderate exercise. My daily calorie intake is aimed at 2,200, however I am struggling to eat enough protein. I don't want to take powders or supplement, nor do I want a chicken breast heavy diet....
    All advice, comments appreciated

At 2200, 100 g of protein shouldn't take any thought if you eat meat (which it seems you do).

Looking briefly at your diary, you aren't logging anywhere near 2200, so that's likely the answer.

My own goal is about 100 g at 1500 when I'm on a deficit, and how I hit that easily (rarely with protein power, although on occasion) is focusing on having protein at all three meals (I eat 2 meals, no snacks). It's not uncommon for people to have breakfasts or even lunches that are low protein, so it's that's you it's something to look at.

It also seems you might be IFing -- 2 meals, some snacks, no dinner? If so, it is a little more challenging, but you can add the protein into the snacks.

What I do is have eggs for breakfast (whole eggs, I don't like tossing yolks, it seems wasteful to me and plus they are the tastiest part) with vegetables and usually smoked salmon or cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt. If I have oats or a smoothie, that's when I use the protein power (it's good in oats). Then my lunch and dinner are planned around protein (often meat, but all kinds of meat, certainly not primarily chicken breast -- fish, shellfish, whole chickens roasted eaten over days, lean beef, lamb, venison, lots of cuts of pork, chops and tenderloin are lean, so on) and of course vegetables. Everything else is based on preference and what rounds out my meal.

I don't snack, like I said, but some snacks are higher protein -- low fat dairy is an excellent example.

If you aren't particularly interested in protein powder, I see no reason to consume it, as your goal is really not that hard to reach. But if it's easier to do using protein powder than consuming other sources (meat, dairy, eggs, legumes, including tofu and tempeh, etc.), then you might find it useful.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, you all came up with some I had not thought about, thanks!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do 140g a day - my intake gets planned on what is on sale for a given week at the store - chicken/pork/turkey have similar protein amount

On the brain side - Farro has 7g per 50g dry (35g carbs); Israeli couscous has 6g per 50g dry
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I kinda get where he's coming from because some people critic "drinking" your calories because then you get used to drinking it and not eating "real" food like on a plate or having a meal. I know when I asked about protein shakes on here I got a lot of hubbub about it lol it was suggested to ditch them since I wouldn't be learning how to "diet properly" then would gain it all back once I wasn't "dieting" anymore. Did I listen? Hell no lol because in almost 2 months it has actually helped me out a lot time wise, energy wise, and helps me meet my macros. Plus I've lost 15 pounds! But for OP, I suggest you get an unflavored one and add it into an oatmeal or maybe even a soup. You won't even know it's there! :) Or check out Pinterest. they have a lot of ideas that show you what foods have more protein than others and you can get an idea of meals too.

OP's comment, I thought, seemed to be more aimed at them thinking protein powders are somehow 'fake food', made in a lab, rather than an issue with drinking calories. I understand the recommendations against drinking your calories when it's going to be in place of solids that may keep you feeling full for longer, in terms of not being overly hungry and therefore risking compliance. But, if someone is happy with the amount of solid food they're eating (as I am), then a protein shake on top of that isn't an issue. I make my shakes with milk, which I happen to find quite satiating, and also has the added bonus of yet more proteiny goodness :D I'm less enthused about protein shakes made with water, and, in fact, will cut into my deficit to have the milk if need be.