Study: cutting sugar improves all the things!

Options
Within 9 days study participants showed metabolic improvements by cutting out sugar.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/features/apple-news/reducing-sugar-intake-improves-health-quickly-researchers-find

My speculative hunch is that the elimination of all sugar is easiest in paleo/keto regimes which explains their success; but that any diet that reduces sugar will show similar results. Thoughts?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A study done by the Food network....Errr. where's the proper science

And ALL sugar means ALL carbs.

Did I miss something obvious? It looks like the Food Network is reporting on the study, not that they conducted it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Within 9 days study participants showed metabolic improvements by cutting out sugar.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/features/apple-news/reducing-sugar-intake-improves-health-quickly-researchers-find

My speculative hunch is that the elimination of all sugar is easiest in paleo/keto regimes which explains their success; but that any diet that reduces sugar will show similar results. Thoughts?

Thanks for this. I was glad they linked THE ACTUAL STUDY.
    It's about children. Probably has some conclusions that would carry over to the general population, but regardless, the findings could be quite useful for childhood OBESITY.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Yes! A "study" conducted by the Food Network!

I will be sure to call the New England Journal of Medicine and tell them to keep the cover for next month's issue open.
    Did you READ the study? Or just the food network summary.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Did I miss something obvious? It looks like the Food Network is reporting on the study, not that they conducted it.

The media (especially as it pertains to health) is world famous for cherry picking research that gives them results they feel might create interest, or else grossly exaggerating the impact of a given study as if it is the Rosetta Stone of modern health care. Science is both a collaborative and compounding endeavor. Almost no summary writer in peer reviewed material makes grandiose statements regarding their research. "Further research is needed" is often used, or they will offer suggestions on how to expand on their findings to add validity. Only when lab after lab after lab consistently achieves the same results with similar methodology and proper controls do you start to see organizations like the AMA, WHO, NIH etc. adopting official positions on a subject pertaining to health. This only happens when the evidence is unequivocal and unambiguous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Pretty sure that's an older study [edit, no it looks like it might be a redo of Lustig's earlier similar study, which I was talking about] and it didn't work as planned in that the kids were supposed to keep calories steady and they lost weight, indicating that they did not and the improvements could have been related to a weight loss diet.

That said, it does indicate that obese kids would probably eat less if they had less sugar in their diet, which I think is almost certainly true (and pretty predictable).

The study does not say that cutting out ALL sugar (I assume you mean added sugar? I'd agree even less if you really mean all sugar) is beneficial. It basically started with people eating huge amounts of sugar and found they did better after 9 days on lower sugar diets where the sugar was replaced with starch.

I also think the SAD is overly high sugar, so of course cutting sugar tends to be associated with cutting calories and is probably beneficial in general.

Does someone eating 5% of calories from added sugar, on average, benefit from cutting sugar? I don't think so, and haven't see anything to support that.

I would also disagree that cutting excess sugar is easiest in paleo/keto regimes (but again we get into the question of what you personally mean by sugar, because I am reasonably confident that the study wasn't looking at whether fruit is bad for you, and I've seen absolutely nothing supporting such a conclusion).
  • essexgirl1971
    essexgirl1971 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ive been doing the keto diet and i have to say its stopped my sugar cravings. even eating fruit and veg and getting sugar from natural sources i was still having alot of sugar. my normal sugar intake since starting keto is around 2g a day.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

The media (especially as it pertains to health) is world famous for cherry picking research that gives them results they feel might create interest, or else grossly exaggerating the impact of a given study as if it is the Rosetta Stone of modern health care. Science is both a collaborative and compounding endeavor. Almost no summary writer in peer reviewed material makes grandiose statements regarding their research. "Further research is needed" is often used, or they will offer suggestions on how to expand on their findings to add validity. Only when lab after lab after lab consistently achieves the same results with similar methodology and proper controls do you start to see organizations like the AMA, WHO, NIH etc. adopting official positions on a subject pertaining to health. This only happens when the evidence is unequivocal and unambiguous.

Yes, I'm aware of all of that. I don't know why you think I wouldn't be after five years of nonsense threads like this. But this study wasn't conducted by the Food Network. That's all I'm asking about.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyway, the question is whether they did a better job controlling the diets, as I think that was the problem with the prior version of this study. Only 9 of the 41 did not lose weight, so I'm not sure they did, but I have not read it carefully enough yet. (I'd also wonder if they were weight stable before or following diets that were leading to continued weight gain.)

Here are the numbers about the participants/diets:

"As reported previously,19 52 Latino and African American children were recruited. Two were ineligible, 5 failed to show on day 0, and 2 completed day 0 testing but did not return for day 10. This article reports paired data in 41 children, of which 26 were Latino and 15 were African American; 15 were male and 26 were female, median age was 13 years (range, 9−18 years), median body mass index z-score was 2.3 (range, 1.9−3.2) and body fat was 48.6% (35.3%−55.9%).

Daily intake during the 9 days of fructose restriction averaged 28 ± 6 kcal/kg with a mean ± SD macronutrient profile of 51% ± 3% carbohydrate, 16% ± 1% protein, and 33% ± 3% fat."

My note: pretty standard SAD macro distribution, but of course also common lots of other places, as the problems with the SAD aren't really the macros.

"Within the carbohydrate fraction, dietary sugar intake decreased from 28% ± 8% to 10% ± 2%, and fructose intake from 12% ± 4% to 4% ± 1%."
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ive been doing the keto diet and i have to say its stopped my sugar cravings. even eating fruit and veg and getting sugar from natural sources i was still having alot of sugar. my normal sugar intake since starting keto is around 2g a day.

Hmm.

I've cut out added sugar a few times. The first two times I wasn't anywhere near keto levels (more like 40% carbs, maybe even more), and I did not have sugar cravings.

I also went low on sugar (and almost not added sugar) when trying out keto, and while I found that generally easy and enjoyable (well, until my favorite fruits came in season), I am not sure how one ends up with 2 g of sugar, or how that could be advisable. When trying keto, I was getting the vast majority of my sugar from vegetables, and still was coming in at between 15 and 25 most days. I hate this idea that keto should be done as low sugar as possible, as if vegetables were to be avoided.

Having read some Lustig and being less down on him than the average MFPer, I am 100% confident that he is not interpreting this study to mean that fruits and vegetables are bad for kids.

Also, the study has nothing to do with keto, the kids were at 51% carbs before and during the study.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

But, but.... I LOVE my sugar. lol What about natural sugars? Can we still eat fruit?
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Haha ok.

1) food network didn't do this study.
    2) study is not that surprising, except for how fast it reversed markers of bad diet. I've read that it takes up to a decade for your body to recover from ever having been overweight; while this study shows that some changes occured right away when this group of kids steered away from the standard american diet.
    3) I mostly started asking myself about the success of dieting; a lot of people who start a diet that reduces sugar intake see pretty immediate, pretty drastic results; I did as well. So I read this and was musing on whether this was the key to paleo/other diet successes... and yes in this case I'd be talking about added sugar, though the study I don't think made the distinction.

Basically, I operate under the "don't be afraid of carbs and sugars from complex sources, basically, but reduce as much as possible your consumption of processed food and added sugar" assumption, and am looking to validate/negate that theory.

Sorry if I confused everyone with my link to the Food Network. Carry on being your healthy selves, lets chalk this up to a bad thread.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    lichn wrote: »
    Some people on this forum are so ridiculous. The second paragraph names and links the legitimate medical journal that published the study. The conclusion of the study is completely uncontroversial and affirms already well documented and well diffused knowledge about the effects of sugar on health and obesity. It's a simple, well designed study that adds a bit of new data to a problem of broad public interest. All these self-appointed detectives over here react way harder than necessary like the rest of us don't have any media literacy at all.

OP you have a totally interesting point, thanks for sharing this! I always find it at least mildly interesting when a study confirms the general principles of healthy eating as I understand them. It's a good reminder to stay with it.

I assume you're talking about me with your first sentence. I'm honestly curious why @suzannesimmons3 and @JustRobby1 say this is a study conducted by the Food Network. Was it something in the funding? I've read through the article and skimmed the study a few times, but I don't see it. And instead I got a lecture about the way articles blow studies out of proportion. You can call me ridiculous, but I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm trying to learn more about these studies and it's frustrating that no one wants to explain it to me.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Pretty sure that's an older study [edit, no it looks like it might be a redo of Lustig's earlier similar study, which I was talking about] and it didn't work as planned in that the kids were supposed to keep calories steady and they lost weight, indicating that they did not and the improvements could have been related to a weight loss diet.

That said, it does indicate that obese kids would probably eat less if they had less sugar in their diet, which I think is almost certainly true (and pretty predictable).

The study does not say that cutting out ALL sugar (I assume you mean added sugar? I'd agree even less if you really mean all sugar) is beneficial. It basically started with people eating huge amounts of sugar and found they did better after 9 days on lower sugar diets where the sugar was replaced with starch.

I also think the SAD is overly high sugar, so of course cutting sugar tends to be associated with cutting calories and is probably beneficial in general.

Does someone eating 5% of calories from added sugar, on average, benefit from cutting sugar? I don't think so, and haven't see anything to support that.

I would also disagree that cutting excess sugar is easiest in paleo/keto regimes (but again we get into the question of what you personally mean by sugar, because I am reasonably confident that the study wasn't looking at whether fruit is bad for you, and I've seen absolutely nothing supporting such a conclusion).

Yes I misspoke, they reduced intake from mean 28% of intake to 10; that's not zero.

Also I'm not advocating for keto or paleo (tried paleo and I felt awful; it's not for everyone, but for me was an interesting short term experiment), but maybe it's easier for people to conceptualize if they lump all carbs together instead of other dietary regimens. And let me clarify: I didn't mean easier long term. People tend toward black and white thinking, so by acting under the assumption that all carbs are bad they inadvertently cutting (added) sugar: it appeals to our psychology.

I suspect I'm no longer adding anything to the conversation though so I am exiting this thread. I did learn a bit about how to get a lot of attention for a thread: make a black-and-white statement, and then link to the Food Network :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    study is not that surprising, except for how fast it reversed markers of bad diet. I've read that it takes up to a decade for your body to recover from ever having been overweight; while this study shows that some changes occured right away when this group of kids steered away from the standard american diet.

This is not surprising either, or wasn't to me. Losing weight turns around various test markers (T2D, IR, high cholesterol, fatty liver) extremely quickly. The interesting thing here is that they were turned around before any significant weight could have been lost, but in that they were kids eating horrible diets (selected for that), I'm not surprised.

I think you are referring to the fat that death stats are worse if you look at "have been overweight" vs. "never been overweight" even for people who lost the weight, but that is a correlation thing and the question is why: is there something different about people who were never overweight vs. those who were overweight but lost it? One thing is, in that one reason for losing is illness and another is getting a bad health diagnosis that motivates you. If you control for that, is it still worse? I don't know, would be interested.
    3) I mostly started asking myself about the success of dieting; a lot of people who start a diet that reduces sugar intake see pretty immediate, pretty drastic results; I did as well.

Same with people who do other kinds of diets as a result of bad health tests. The 100% plant based arguments are often based on this kind of anecdote too, and if you've read Denise Minger's discussion of very low fat diets (https://deniseminger.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/) then you see that happens too, even when the diets aren't particularly healthful there.

Personally, my tests were always fine, even when I was fat (maybe because I ate a pretty healthful diet with lots of vegetables and not really much like the SAD with little fast food, no sugary soda, probably not that high in sugar) when I was getting fat, more likely because of genetics). They got even better when I lost weight, but I've seen nothing to suggest I do better on super low sugar diets vs. higher sugar ones (but again I have not tried super high added sugar and am not attracted to that as something to try, heh).
    So I read this and was musing on whether this was the key to paleo/other diet successes... and yes in this case I'd be talking about added sugar, though the study I don't think made the distinction.

The study did not make the distinction, but they took kids with high added sugar and lowered the sugar by replacing it with starch. They did not take high sugar WFPB vegans and see if they did better replacing fruit with starch. (I'd guess no.)
    Basically, I operate under the "don't be afraid of carbs and sugars from complex sources, basically, but reduce as much as possible your consumption of processed food and added sugar" assumption, and am looking to validate/negate that theory.

The starches they were replacing the sugar with in the study were processed.

Fruit is a simple carb -- simple = sugar, whatever the source, complex=starch when talking about carbs.

Personally I tend to agree that healthful diets (which will include lots of vegetables, probably some fruit for most people, some whole food carbs and other moderately processed carbs (like whole grains), plenty of protein and healthy fats, and some added sugar and more refined carbs in moderation) are healthful and that so long as you aren't missing essential nutrient percentage of carbs likely doesn't matter much (which is why keto can be healthful and so can 80-10-10 whole food vegan, if you have enough calories to carry that little fat and protein by percentage).

I think this study was much more limited in its intent, however.

Is it BETTER to eat a mediocre diet that is high in starch vs. one that is high in sugar from things like candy and soda? That's what I think Lustig et al was looking at -- that independent of other problems with the diet the sugar in the type of doses (related to sources) was in itself harmful. I think that's an interesting question and it might be so, but I'm inclined to think the bigger issue is that those foods crowd out better (more nutritious) foods and in some kids kill the taste for more nutritious things (especially if their diet is quite limited) and that having lots of sugar in your diet (you being a kid in this case) makes you more prone to overeat.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lichn wrote: »
    The conclusion of the study is completely uncontroversial and affirms already well documented and well diffused knowledge about the effects of sugar on health and obesity.

This suggests to me that you misunderstand the study -- the question it was intended to examine is whether sugar is harmful independent of the effect on obesity.
    I always find it at least mildly interesting when a study confirms the general principles of healthy eating as I understand them. It's a good reminder to stay with it.

It also has little to do with healthy eating.

It's much more specific, which studies have to be to really test an hypothesis like the researchers were trying to.

Other studies show that eating 10+ servings of fruit and veg per day correlate with positive health outcomes, which does not support the idea that sugar is inherently bad or worse than starch, as this study was framed in the first post (for example, it's really hard to do 10 servings of veg per day on keto, and forget about making some of them fruit). IMO, this is intuitive -- of course lots of veg and fruit is part of healthful eating -- but we don't actually know why. Is it that they are helpful in and of themselves, that people are less likely to overeat, that they crowd out foods that are independently bad for you, etc. That's the kind of thing studies like this try to get at, and why the conclusions drawn from them are important (and it's problematic when the reporting of them is so bad).