What can I do to help myself reach my goal in hot weather?

Options
So I do not have an air conditioner and with heat waves of 113 all week and the occasional rolling blackout where I can go without power for 7 or more hours without the use of a fan. Nighttime temperatures in my house with all windows open is 90 degrees. I do not handle heat well. I get physically ill when temperatures are over 75 degrees. I get tunnel vision, hearing loss, nausea and I have passed out numerous times. I try to get my workouts in 30 minutes before the sun comes up (so its bright enough in my dangerous neighborhood to avoid some issues) but what do you do in the heat when you feel like sleeping until winter? I have always been a winter person. I can workout in rain, storm, frigid temps but I cannot handle heat whatsoever. I can't move, or afford AC. Nearest mall is too far away and I cannot afford a gym membership either. Also, there are no pools in my area. I feel like I am out of options. Does anyone have any advise? Thanks!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Is there a large supercenter, grocery store, home improvement store, etc, close by? Use one of those as a place to walk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ick. I am a cold weather person too. My suggestion would be to have a couple of fans blowing on you. What kind of exercise are you doing?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm in the deep South and the heat causes me to lose all motivation to exercise. I've been going to a nearby Target and walking the isles. Plus in your case it would have the added advantage of air conditioning.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike? The wind generated by movement might make it more bearable. Are there any dance, yoga, jazzercise, pilates, etc. studios near you? They would be air conditioned. Can you walk at night? In summer, I really enjoy our nighttime walks with the dog. Humidity is usually lower as well as the temperature.
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It's been really hot here too. Sometimes I go walk at the mall when it's not too crowded. I put on my headphones, and walk. It's nice and cool.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OhNo31 wrote: »
    So I do not have an air conditioner and with heat waves of 113 all week and the occasional rolling blackout where I can go without power for 7 or more hours without the use of a fan. Nighttime temperatures in my house with all windows open is 90 degrees. I do not handle heat well. I get physically ill when temperatures are over 75 degrees. I get tunnel vision, hearing loss, nausea and I have passed out numerous times. I try to get my workouts in 30 minutes before the sun comes up (so its bright enough in my dangerous neighborhood to avoid some issues) but what do you do in the heat when you feel like sleeping until winter? I have always been a winter person. I can workout in rain, storm, frigid temps but I cannot handle heat whatsoever. I can't move, or afford AC. Nearest mall is too far away and I cannot afford a gym membership either. Also, there are no pools in my area. I feel like I am out of options. Does anyone have any advise? Thanks!

Get up and exercise before the sun is up, or wait until sundown and exercise then. Those are the times I find work the best during heat waves. Your other option is a big box store like Walmart. Lowes, Home Dept, etc and walk the aisles.
  • Avsgirly
    Avsgirly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is there a pool near by or at ur gym?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Move? Why would you live somewhere hot if heat makes you ill? Can you go to a gym with AC or swim laps at a pool?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Move? Why would you live somewhere hot if heat makes you ill? Can you go to a gym with AC or swim laps at a pool?

Some places are only hot for a part of the year. Where I live, our temps range from over 100° F to 30° below zero. I don't like hot weather but the few weeks I have to deal with it are something I can endure. Same for the few weeks the cold is dangerous.