Looking for consistency

Options
Hi! I've been using MFP off and on for a while but have rarely ventured into this section of it so I thought it was time I stopped by to say hello. What I struggle with is consistency both with exercise and my food choices so am hoping to find support to get past the all or nothing mentality. What are your tips or tricks for getting through those days when you just don't want to....?

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Man, you have a cool problem! I might have an answer for you.....or, maybe something that will spark a conversation that will help you find YOUR answer....

Consistency. Doing this day-in, day-out. How in the world do we do this?

Simple. Do the things that you like. Meaning, eat the foods that you like. You just need to make sure that you keep your 'budget' and that you do not 'overspend'. I look at my caloric intake and my macro breakdown as a budget. Super simple concept. Everyone understands that analogy.

So, how in the world do I know if I am going to keep my budget? You likely hear all those crazy stories about people missing this number of that number or being way over or way under. How do you avoid doing this?

Again, simple: plan your meals. Prepare your meals as best you can in advance. Super key (for me, anyway....you may or may not be in a position to do this).

Don't deny yourself. And, on the other side of that, don't set yourself up for failure. What does that mean?

If you really enjoy pop tarts but you feel that these are unhealthy so you are going to do without....DON'T! Budget in some pop tarts every now and again. So, maybe for three days out of the week you budget in two pop tarts on each of those days. Or, whatever works for you.

And, if you really can not stand grilled chicken (really? are you even human if you don't like that?! LOL!) but you are budgeting grilled chicken five days a week for lunch you will most likely not be able to remain compliant with your plan. So, you will stop. For me, the only way to fail is to stop. Super important concept (for me, anyway).

For me - and I am very specific in that this is for me - this all is a life style. After time I have little to no trouble remaining compliant with my plan. I do my best to set myself up for success and to avoid things that will likely lead to failure. I know me.....you know you. What works for you? DO THAT!

I mean, assuming that you have some basics in place.....in that context, DO THAT!
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I've always struggled with consistency. I went from being very underweight to still not overweight, but definitely some extra fat. In the past two years I was spending a couple of weeks starving myself, then one month binging. And repeat. But this time I decided to reach out and introduce myself here in the community, and I found consistency. I still feel too lazy to workout some days, and I still want to eat everything on others. But seeing everyone in my feed fighting to achieve their goals makes me think about what I'm doing. I also want to be a motivation for someone. So I just do it. And all you need to do is go for it :)
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Man, you have a cool problem! I might have an answer for you.....or, maybe something that will spark a conversation that will help you find YOUR answer....

Consistency. Doing this day-in, day-out. How in the world do we do this?

Simple. Do the things that you like. Meaning, eat the foods that you like. You just need to make sure that you keep your 'budget' and that you do not 'overspend'. I look at my caloric intake and my macro breakdown as a budget. Super simple concept. Everyone understands that analogy.

So, how in the world do I know if I am going to keep my budget? You likely hear all those crazy stories about people missing this number of that number or being way over or way under. How do you avoid doing this?

Again, simple: plan your meals. Prepare your meals as best you can in advance. Super key (for me, anyway....you may or may not be in a position to do this).

Don't deny yourself. And, on the other side of that, don't set yourself up for failure. What does that mean?

If you really enjoy pop tarts but you feel that these are unhealthy so you are going to do without....DON'T! Budget in some pop tarts every now and again. So, maybe for three days out of the week you budget in two pop tarts on each of those days. Or, whatever works for you.

And, if you really can not stand grilled chicken (really? are you even human if you don't like that?! LOL!) but you are budgeting grilled chicken five days a week for lunch you will most likely not be able to remain compliant with your plan. So, you will stop. For me, the only way to fail is to stop. Super important concept (for me, anyway).

For me - and I am very specific in that this is for me - this all is a life style. After time I have little to no trouble remaining compliant with my plan. I do my best to set myself up for success and to avoid things that will likely lead to failure. I know me.....you know you. What works for you? DO THAT!

I mean, assuming that you have some basics in place.....in that context, DO THAT!

ALL OF THIS!!!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE fried chicken and mashed potatoes and there's no way in he$$ that I will deprive myself of it. Do I eat it all of the time? Nope! But once a month? YEP! and it's on a weekend when I know that I'm going to get 6 miles of walking in that morning.

I'm not a huge fan of exercise, but I found things that I do like ... walking, elliptical, stationary bike... and that's what I do. Oh and swimming! Super calorie burner and oh so easy! Big plus that I'm under water and if I'm doing it wrong, no one can see :wink:

I also make little choices, I love carbs, but I won't eat bread if I'm going to eat cheese and vice versa. I love sandwiches, so I skip the bread and put my fixins on a couple of romain leaves. Want an ice cream? go for frozen yogurt or a Popsicle. It all comes down to choices and finding what choices works for you and that's half the battle.

Once you figure out how to enjoy it, it becomes easier. Hang in there and find a support group or friend with similar goals. Share your goals with someone and become accountable.

You won't be perfect everyday, if ever, but trying it better than not trying. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    Just do it. No other way.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Tracking your food is so helpful, Log everything accurately you can do this!! All the best!! Feel free to add me :)