How to avoid water weight gain on the scale

Short answer- Drink less water

So I have noticed if I eat a big meal that is very dense and may or may not have a ton of sodium that if I don't drink a ton of water or other liquids with it my weight won't balloon up the next day and I'm one of those people that obsesses over my weight on the scale.

Everyone says that you need to drink a gallon of water everyday and I don't think you do

If you're always drinking water all day when you're hungry you're always gonna have 3 or 4 pounds of extra weight when you eat food and weigh yourself

Now I'm not saying everyone should do this because I only have experienced with it myself

And I'm not saying stop drinking water I'm saying you just don't need as much as everyone says

I know people on diets love their water

This is just my opinion I'm not a professional doctor or anything.

Replies

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i retain water if i dont drink a minimum gallon a day. i've been watching this for over a year so its tried and true. i can get in a gallon and a half wehn im doing two a days in the gym. if i dont get enough water bam. 5-7 extra lbs..
  • helpfit1002
    helpfit1002 Posts: 16 Member
    More water is better, unless you start to feel a little giddy / drunk (which has happened to me).

Water weight is not bad weight as it is not "real" weight. It is just water and it does no harm to your body.
  • madisonrmartinez
    madisonrmartinez Posts: 19 Member
    Water retention happens, it's very normal. Best way to avoid seeing that weight go up on the scale because of water retention? Weigh yourself no more than twice a month. Seriously. Also, do it in the morning before you eat or drink anything, too. If you weigh yourself less frequently (I like to do it every two weeks) you won't see your weight bouncing all over the place from water weight, and you'll be much happier with yourself. DO NOT drink less water to avoid water retention- that's some of the worst advice I've heard. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, stick to a caloric deficit, and avoid high-sodium foods. Also, I can't tell who originally posted this question but if you're a woman expect some serious water weight around your period. Happens. Otherwise, avoid that piece of advice lol
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    i retain water if i dont drink a minimum gallon a day. i've been watching this for over a year so its tried and true. i can get in a gallon and a half wehn im doing two a days in the gym. if i dont get enough water bam. 5-7 extra lbs..

I'm the same way. My body is used to around 80oz a day. When I don't drink my normal amount I tend to retain fluid and bloat, along with some other digestive issues.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    More water is better, unless you start to feel a little giddy / drunk (which has happened to me).

Water weight is not bad weight as it is not "real" weight. It is just water and it does no harm to your body.

It's not better in all situations. It is possible to create an electrolyte balance when intaking excessive water.
  • helpfit1002
    helpfit1002 Posts: 16 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

It's not better in all situations. It is possible to create an electrolyte balance when intaking excessive water.

Yeah I realize, I was trying not to be overly accurate and kind of speak in generic terms. Too much water can create an "imbalance" as you say, but most people are unlikely to get to that. And I do mean it, one day I drank so much water I literally felt drunk. So yeah too much is not good either.

The main message that several people seem to support on here is, drink more and do not worry about the water component of what your scale tells you. Unless you have swollen legs because of water retention, then I have no idea speak to a doctor or google it.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    So I have noticed if I eat a big meal that

Stop. Why are you eating a big meal?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    How to avoid water wight gain on the scale? Don't. Learn that it's a perfectly normal part of a functioning body, and either stay off the scale as much or learn to live with your fluctuations and stop majoring in the minors.

Buddy, you seem to have some disordered/uninformed ideas and misconceptions about weight loss, and a predilection to get hung up on irrelevancies. I really think you should concentrate on grasping some basic knowledge of nutrition and weight loss, and stop trying to game the system.

^This.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    weight gain IS NOT THE SAME THING as fat gain.