Not building muscles but feeling stronger?

Options
I'm in a calorie deficit so I know I can't be building muscle so why do I feel stronger after a couple months of lifting weights?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you are very new to weight lifting, are obese or on only a slight calorie deficit, you may be gaining muscle. But, I would find someone that has a degree in kineology, physical education/therapy for more information. Not just a random personal trainer (some trainers have degrees, so make sure to find out), but someone with formal education dealing with the human anatomy and physicallity.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm in a calorie deficit so I know I can't be building muscle so why do I feel stronger after a couple months of lifting weights?

You do become stronger. Your muscle and nerves adapt with continued training. Good job!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are very new to weight lifting, are obese or on only a slight calorie deficit, you may be gaining muscle. But, I would find someone that has a degree in kineology, physical education/therapy for more information. Not just a random personal trainer (some trainers have degrees, so make sure to find out), but someone with formal education dealing with the human anatomy and physicallity.

There are plenty of beginner programs that are out there that don't require a trainer to implement. If a person can read and is of average intelligence it's easy enough. A couple that come to mind are Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. They are well designed for beginners and can be implemented without dropping money on a trainer. The trainers at the gym can help with form tips for no charge and there are tons of videos. When one moves to intermediate a trainer can be more useful for designing a program to hit specific goals.

Some people just seem to like having a babysitter when they workout. I see it at my gym all the time. For me, I know what I need to do. I just go do it. It's really not that complicated.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There is a lot that goes into actually gaining size and strength together. Your genetics play a HUGE role in how your body builds muscle. Depending on your diet, workout routine, rep range, amount of cardio there are so many factors that affect strength and size. Set your own personal goals and strive to beat them. Be realistic with your expectations and know that dedication and hard work are the only factors in every success story. Best luck with your goals!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Strength and gaining muscle mass do not necessarily go hand in hand...one can become stronger without putting on mass as existing muscle fibers are recruited and you experience neural adaption. Also, size isn't always the best indicator of strength...I know people who can lift quite a bit, but don't really look "big"...my trainer can out lift pretty much any body builder, but has nowhere near that kind of size...
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

why?

It is somewhat common knowledge that those who are new to lifting and/or obese can gain some muscle at first...but that is measured in oz not lbs and they don't last long eitehr....and is not what I would call significant.

you don't need a degree to know that.
    Even if it is 'just' oz not lbs, muscle weight is a rather bad approximation for strength. The whole point is that you can gain strength without gaining lots of muscle mass. Both through adding actual strength, a little more muscle and training your coordination / neural adaption. These things exist. Even people with diseases that make them continuously lose muscle mass can gain back some strength and general ability to use their muscles with the right training (not forever, but for a while).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »

why?

It is somewhat common knowledge that those who are new to lifting and/or obese can gain some muscle at first...but that is measured in oz not lbs and they don't last long eitehr....and is not what I would call significant.

Even if it is 'just' oz not lbs, muscle weight is a rather bad approximation for strength. The whole point is that you can gain strength without gaining lots of muscle mass. Both through adding actual strength, a little more muscle and training your coordination / neural adaption. These things exist. Even people with diseases that make them continuously lose muscle mass can gain back some strength and general ability to use their muscles with the right training (not forever, but for a while).

Okay...not sure why this was in response to my post as I was asking VeronicaA76 why the OP had to contact someone with a degree...

as you can see I said "it is somewhat common knowledge..."
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »

why?

Okay...not sure why this was in response to my post as I was asking VeronicaA76 why the OP had to contact someone with a degree...

as you can see I said "it is somewhat common knowledge..."

I think PP was just adding to your post :)