Going on 3 day road trip

Options
Hubby and I are Snowbirds and in a couple of weeks, traveling from NY to Florida. Our first day is 650 miles, 2nd day, 525 and the 3rd day 300. Both of us are trying to lose weight and we don't want to negate our progress through mindless and careless eating. Additionally, though Hubby will be earning driving calories, I am pretty motionless as a passenger. I am looking for snack and meal recommendations while on the road. We have a couple of obstacles - I am pre-diabetic and low calorie fruits (like grapes) are little sugar bombs - (though I suppose I could sacrifice my glucose). We are traveling with a dog and a cat (aaargh!), so it's difficult to leave them in the car and in our hotel room to go to a restaurant. We usually take turns going to the bathroom at gas stop. We've made this trip several times, but in the past have always taken calorie and sodium laden subs on the road and stopped at fast food places like McDonalds. We've also taken hard boiled eggs, but after you've been on the road for 10 hours, you don't want to face hard boiled eggs. I'm truly at a loss. I'm beginning to think the hard boiled eggs. fruit and fast food are our best options, given our circumstances. Any recommendations? They would be appreciated.

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Stop at places like Panera. Get a 1/2 salad and 1/2 sandwich (or soup if it's chilly out). You can keep your meals around 500-600 calories with the right choices. Study their online menu and you will see. I live near two Panera's that are within 1 mile off of I-95.

Next choice could be Wendy's. Again a salad here will work for you as will a bowl of their chili. Get a combo.

Chick-Fil-A: the chicken wrap, the soup and salad, a big salad with chicken on top.

Honestly, there are many options at the fast food places these days. You just have to be disciplined and not go for the high-calorie stuff that is so tempting.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Stop at normal meal times and eat a full meal - you may have to leave the main road to find something decent but it's possible.

If you eat enough at your meal stops, you shouldn't need to snack during the drive.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions! I have IExit on my iPhone so I can see what's available at the exits. Hubby ABSOLUTELY will not drive far from an exit for anything. I need to do my research and plan my bathroom breaks accordingly. I don't know how he can go most of the day without a bathroom break.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Your hubby will not earn driving cals. Sorry. Good ideas above. You could get smaller subs, share one, and/or make healthier lower cal filling choices. Safe travels!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, you need to maintain a calorie deficit. Have a list handy of the calories at common stops like McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Subway and any other places you typically stop at. Keep track of your calories just like you would if you were at home. You can still bring things like veggies on the road so you can get some micro nutrients in too. Or, meal prep before you go. Keep your meals in a small cooler and refill with ice at the hotel each night.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Driving doesn't burn extra calories beyond sitting.

Use drive-through or take food to go (only 1 person needs to go into counter to get food then). Get some plastic bags and pre-measure nuts. Summer sausage. For low calorie foods, use pickles or those sugar-free jello packs.
  • Gaia85
    Gaia85 Posts: 190 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Use a scale to pre-portion snacks in snack-sized ziplock bags.

Some snack ideas:
    Terra vegetable chips (150 cal/serving)
    Beef jerky (80 cal/serving)
    Orville Smart Popcorn (120 cal/serving)
    Baby carrots (35 cal/serving)

Agree with others...have go-to low calorie options (check websites) for various fast-food options

Subway
    Many 6" subs (veggie, turkey, ham, chicken) under 350 cal (cheese adds 50 cal, mustard is basically no cal and light mayo is 35 cal)

McDonalds
    Hamburger (no cheese) is 250 cal
    McChicken is 350 cal
    Egg McMuffin (with Canadian bacon) is 300 cal
    Small fries is 230 cal
    Side salad (no dressing) is 15 cal
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    If you are going to Subway, don't get a sub... get a salad instead.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Could you get one of those coolers that plugs into your cigarette outlet? That way boiled eggs and snacks like cheese and yogurt could last longer.
  • ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Snack ideas:
    Jerky
    Carrots and hummus
    Peanut butter and bananas/apples
    Protein balls/bars (but check the ingredient list first!)
    Tuna and crackers

If you have a cooler, could you take meals with you and top up the ice when you've stopped for the day?
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In the past I've done well with packing vegetables like carrots, cucumber, edamame or sugarsnap peas - I know those are probably all on the sugary side of the vegetable kingdom but maybe that's better than fruit?

I've also packed a loaf of seeded bread plus hummus, peanut butter or cheese slices. i also love smoked tofu, which you can eat cold on a sandwich or wrap. pre-cooked falafels are good too (but personally I find the texture cold a bit odd). If you have a cool bag that should keep for 3 days?
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Could you get one of those coolers that plugs into your cigarette outlet? That way boiled eggs and snacks like cheese and yogurt could last longer.

We have one. It can also be plugged into the room. We love it!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Pack a 7-day cooler with ice and make meals you normally have ahead of time and freeze them. They will thaw in the cooler but they will last for your journey and you can microwave things as needed. I like EPIC paleo / low sugar / carb bars as snacks. They are mostly meat and are yummy. HB eggs are another try.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    If you are going to Subway, don't get a sub... get a salad instead.

I'm not sure who "woo'ed" this, but the point was lower calorie and (especially impirtant since OP struggles with BG) lower carb.

Just explaining since it is apparent that the lower calorie and low carb composition of salad vs. sub isn't obvious to someone.