Garmin watches

Options
Is my garmin double dipping? I am getting calories for my run but also calories for my steps. For example I got 307 calories for running 3.8 miles (around 7K steps). My day needed around 12K steps so garmin gave me another 220ish. Does that second set contain the running steps as well?

Replies

• Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. I get a little over 200 calories for the same number of steps, so the running looks to be added on top of, but separately from those for you.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It adjusts to match the totals for the day..it will deduct the run from the adjustment.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is my garmin double dipping? I am getting calories for my run but also calories for my steps. For example I got 307 calories for running 3.8 miles (around 7K steps). My day needed around 12K steps so garmin gave me another 220ish. Does that second set contain the running steps as well?

The Connect platform does the reconciliation for you.

If it's an HR model then that can inflate the estimation. That applies across all of the brands though.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I have been deleting everything but my run from my totals because I didn't want to overeat. Nice to know that its more accurate than I thought.
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I am resurrecting this topic because I have the same issue/question. My garmin 235 gave me about 600 cals for a full hour run. I did literally nothing else that day except for sitting on the couch..but I still got almost 300 cals for my steps. My ONLY steps were during the run. So they are counted double right? How do I fix this? (is that even possible?)
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I am resurrecting this topic because I have the same issue/question. My garmin 235 gave me about 600 cals for a full hour run. I did literally nothing else that day except for sitting on the couch..but I still got almost 300 cals for my steps. My ONLY steps were during the run. So they are counted double right? How do I fix this? (is that even possible?)

you will have burnt the 600 for your run but you will have revved your engine so will burn a little more afterwards which for you looks to have been another 300 cals. Not double dipping but certainly something to be aware of and account for
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

you will have burnt the 600 for your run but you will have revved your engine so will burn a little more afterwards which for you looks to have been another 300 cals. Not double dipping but certainly something to be aware of and account for

Nope. Afterburn effect is minimal, way overstated by those who seem to think we should worry about it.

I believe this is a known issue with some models but can't be certain, have a look round the Garmin forums and see if you can come up with an answer there. I'm actually low balled on my device. The primary suggestion is usually to play around with your activity level in settings.
  • jacquih2981
    Options

Nope. Afterburn effect is minimal, way overstated by those who seem to think we should worry about it.

I believe this is a known issue with some models but can't be certain, have a look round the Garmin forums and see if you can come up with an answer there. I'm actually low balled on my device. The primary suggestion is usually to play around with your activity level in settings.

Interesting, not come across this before, thanks. For me I notice that my heart rate is elevated above resting for some hours after a work out (above resting but not hugely) so I thought it was partly afterburn. Then again the effect is dropping considerably as I have lost weight and become more active.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Interesting, not come across this before, thanks. For me I notice that my heart rate is elevated above resting for some hours after a work out (above resting but not hugely) so I thought it was partly afterburn. Then again the effect is dropping considerably as I have lost weight and become more active.

That's just recovery, as you have observed, the fitter you become the quicker you recover. It's not afterburn as you are no longer engaged in that physical activity, it's just your body sorting itself out.
  • jacquih2981
    Options
    That's just recovery, as you have observed, the fitter you become the quicker you recover. It's not afterburn as you are no longer engaged in that physical activity, it's just your body sorting itself out.

The longer I am here the more I learn :-)

• marthall
    marthall Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, the Garmin does not double count but if you heart rate is elevated above the baseline that the Garmin determines for you (for any reason) then it thinks you are being more active, and gives you extra Calories because of that (It associates it with steps, but it's just an adjustment based on heart rate.)

I was mentally adjusting down my Calorie target because I think these extra Calories are excessive, but I've given up and disconnected Garmin <-> MFP and will add exercise in manually from now on.

It was getting far too excessive, like adding an extra 600 calories adjustment when I basically sat at a desk all day.

I'll re-evaluate if my fitness improves such that my overall heart rate is lower.
  • ritzvin
    Options

same here. It will give an adjustment to match the total (run+anything else) with MFP. The step-calories portion of the server seems to calculate totally separately from the sports side (without looking at those numbers at all) - so both may have been estimated differently (maybe you had a very high run cadence with short strides or something that might account for a difference). If anything, the disconnect between the 2 sides of Garmin normally leads to it negating any non-step activities (as opposed to double counting). (As in ride hills for several hours, and find a -1000ish calorie adjustment).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    As others have said, if it is a HR device, than that might be the cause of the discrepancy. The step tracker portion of garmin didn't know what you were doing when your HR was elevated (and might have inflated it). The sports side knew it was a run and would have calculated accordingly (with known GPS distance being a much higher determiner on the calorie burn estimate there).