Pre-Op diet

Options
I'm having the mini gastric bypass procedure next week, in Mexico. I'm using premier protein unflavored (30g per scoop) and EAS chocolate whey protein. I'll be on liquids for about 8weeks post-op and was wondering if anyone had some smoothie recipes that are high in protein and low in cards/sugar

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You should really follow the diet plan set up by the clinic/your dietician. This is nothing random forumers should advice about.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    ^spot on. If they recommended a specific diet/plan to you, you should be following it. There's a reason they give it to you and it's not as a suggestion.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You should really follow the diet plan set up by the clinic/your dietician. This is nothing random forumers should advice about.

And if they didn't give you a pre-op plan, I would be seriously concerned.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

And if they didn't give you a pre-op plan, I would be seriously concerned.

That too. The OP had me concerned at "Mexico" :/
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    They normally give you a very strict liver shrinking diet for the 2 weeks before and a strict liquid diet for afterwards.

You are far more likely to get complications if you don't follow the plans.

Good luck.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this in Mexico?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I read up on mini-gastric bypass. It seems to be a shorter surgery with fewer surgical complications than a regular gastric bypass BUT there has not been enough research on it for it to be approved by insurance companies in the US.

It has all the ups and downs of gastric bypass post-surgery and uses both restriction and mal-absorption to cause weight loss. I'd make damned sure I had expert pre- and post-operative dietary and vitamin regimens fully taken care of beforehand.

Also, so as not to risk financial surprises long term, I'd make sure your insurance company covered post-operative medicines/vitamins, nutritional advice and complications even if not the surgery itself.

Medical care for American's outside the US can be cheaper or even better than what's available at home but they can also be more expensive or of less quality. The vetting process and financial implications can be really complex.

(I'm holding my tongue as an anti-surgery bigot. "Chacun à son goût," dit la vieille dame qui embrassé la vache.)

dys1f9gi7k61.jpg

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not to mention the news sites are warning americans and others to stay out(travel warning) of mexico. not a place I would want to go right now.
  • cassie30907
    cassie30907 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mini gastric bypass surgery is covered by many American insurance companies, just not mine. My insurance does not cover ANY procedure with a bariatric billing code.
    As far as the plan, yes they gave me one. What I was asking for were recipes to mix it up a little. Plain chicken broth only goes so far!!! I'm still sticking to the plan and doing well!
  • cassie30907
    Options
    not to mention the news sites are warning americans and others to stay out(travel warning) of mexico. not a place I would want to go right now.

It was actually nice. The facility was clean and the staff were able to communicate adequately.
  • cassie30907
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Because my insurance company doesn't cover ANY bariatric procedures.
    It was $26,000 in Georgia and $6,500 in Mexico.
    I'm happy with the choice and am healing well.

• joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I assume that everyone making comments of mexican medicine and facilities have never set foot in one of those facilities. Anyone know the percentage of american doctors who complete their studies in Mexico and then get licensed in the US?
  • dbanks80
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Because my insurance company doesn't cover ANY bariatric procedures.
    It was $26,000 in Georgia and $6,500 in Mexico.
    I'm happy with the choice and am healing well.

I am happy that you are healing well. :)
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I assume that everyone making comments of mexican medicine and facilities have never set foot in one of those facilities. Anyone know the percentage of american doctors who complete their studies in Mexico and then get licensed in the US?

You are absolutely correct. I've never stepped foot in a Mexican facility. All I've ever heard were the horror stories. Thanks for enlightening us. Glad the OP's surgery went well and she is doing great.