Swimming, water and caffiene

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »
    Today I actually swam with an expert. I shared a lane with an Olympic trials veteran. He swam 4km in 40 min. No fins. No board. Just blasting by. He must have done 10 x100 IMs. It was a sight to behold! That is what I call expert.

We have one of those who teaches swimming at my pool. Sometimes he stays late and does his laps. Yes, it is a sight.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Today I actually swam with an expert. I shared a lane with an Olympic trials veteran. He swam 4km in 40 min. No fins. No board. Just blasting by. He must have done 10 x100 IMs. It was a sight to behold! That is what I call expert.

We have one of those who teaches swimming at my pool. Sometimes he stays late and does his laps. Yes, it is a sight.

The amazing thing is that he was not really working that hard. I mean he was working steady, but no sprints. It was nowhere near his maximal effort and it still blew me away. His breast stroke is nothing short of amazing. It made me start working on my own, because after my calculation for the 400 on MFP - I wanted to get my time down. And I managed to by another 20 sec, but maybe the real reason was that I was trying to go fast enough to stay the heck out of his way! There's nothing like having someone so good swim with you to make you want to swim better!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Yes, the truly talented swimmers are impressive to watch. Their stroke seems so effortless and their glide is so smooth that it seems as if they are being pulled by a cable.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How far are you going in the full two hours?

What exactly is your question?
  • weluvmike69
    weluvmike69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »
    If the OP is an advanced swimmer and covering 5 or 6km an hour then I'm pretty sure his burns are close to 1000 an hour. Although I'm not sure what happens when you add zoomers into the equation. They make you work harder on your kick but they also take you further in your distance.

Actually, I'd argue less, as the OP clearly indicates that he is using aids (Kickboard and fins). Kickboards are great for isolating the kick movements to build leg strength and improve kick performance, but it will actually reduce the calorie burn by at least half. Though, an expert swimmer it's probably more since most of the work and strength in swimming comes from the upper body strokes rather then the kicks.

While the fins don't cut the calorie burn down, they do artificially inflate the distance and speed one can cover in a specific time without actually increasing calorie burn all that much. Which makes pretty much ALL the calorie calculators useless.

I usually cut the calcultor estimates in half for any time spent using aides (Fins, paddles, kickboards and pull bouys).
    however, bc I'm an 'Expert' it is My contention that I burn a Tremendous amount of calories!

Actually, your contention would be misguided as "expert" in anything tends to reduce calorie burns as strokes and kicks become more efficient and you body becomes accustomed to workouts. Though the actual difference between beginner burns and expert burns is pretty minimal to not be worth stressing about.

If you are really curious about you actual calorie burn, rather then "perceived" (which is very fallible), keep track of the total distance swam and use the above calculator. I swim a mile 4 days a week in about 45 mins. Since about a fifth of the workout uses training aides (Who doesn't love the ab work of a flutter kick!), I calculate .8 miles at full calorie count and .2 miles at half calorie count. At 215 lbs, this gives me a solid 550 cals burned for a 45 min workout.

That said, depending on your current weight, I can easily see 1500 calories for a solid 2 hr workout if it's primarily aid free and probably even slightly higher then 2000 cals for a 3hr workout. But if your goal is to lose weight, as your profile suggests, then being more accurate then what you perceive is pretty important.

BC I actually AM an Expert when I Utilize a Kickboard in conjunction with my Zoomers, it Helps Isolate my Abdominal muscles, it's a Drill that I'm doing. I don't swim the entire workout with the Zoomers, only for a portion. And to be honest, of Course I realize that the fins assist with my propulsion, which is Why I don't use them the entire hour.5 workout!
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone really knows what the question is here, other than something to do with calorie burn calculated by MFP. Given that the OP is "Expert" (and swimming at paces that rival competitive Olympians), I suggest he work with his coach on proper nutrition for training. Professional advice will be more useful, personalized and helpful.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    matti422 wrote: »
    I'm not sure anyone really knows what the question is here, other than something to do with calorie burn calculated by MFP. Given that the OP is "Expert" (and swimming at paces that rival competitive Olympians), I suggest he work with his coach on proper nutrition for training. Professional advice will be more useful, personalized and helpful.

I try to be kind because not everyone here is a native English speaker but I have no idea what the OP is talking about or asking here either.