Rowing Machine suggestions.......

Options
Hi there,
I'm looking at getting a rowing machine - hopefully gently used.
I have really bad knees and would like an alternative to my bike trainor over the winter.
I would rather not spend alot of money off the hop... just in case it doesn't appeal as much as I'm hoping it will.
I'm looking for some suggestions of Make/Model you have from experience.
Things to look for?
Things to run far away from?
Thanks !!

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 are the best on the market but they are proud of them. If you get luck to find a used one that would be the way to go. Depending on how hard you will be on it you might find something from a off brand just look for the best warranty.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    There's basically 2 choices.
    A white concept 2
    or a grey concept 2...
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    There's basically 2 choices.
    A white concept 2
    or a grey concept 2...

lol.... thanks so much for the suggestion..... I take it your already starting the Go Fund Me page so I can afford one???
    Note the part where I said I didn't want to start off having to sell my first born.

I was hoping someone out there new of some "entry level" models I could perhaps start with to make
    sure it was something I could physically do and mentally like doing - otherwise it's a really big, expensive
    dust catcher/door stop.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I had a less expensive rower. It was like riding a 3-wheeled skateboard with a bungee cord attached to the knob of a door that wouldn't quite latch all the way shut while using a smartphone propped on the floor against that door as a monitor.

Then I got a concept 2 (in black).

The two are not even in the same zip code in terms of experience.

You can get whatever is in your budget. But understand that your rowing experience is going to be sub-par, to the point of limiting the effectiveness of your workout, on the less expensive machine. Or that was my experience.

I also got mine because I wanted to see if I liked it before I dropped cash on the concept 2. It wasn't even the same motion so not really a fair comparison to begin with (although I didnt know that at the time). If you want to know if you can row or enjoy rowing, find a gym that has rowers and use a trial/guest card to try them out. That won't help with the $$$$ for the concept 2, but it will at least help you decide if you can do it/enjoy it before you pursue purchasing a machine.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There is no good cheap rowing machine. Concept 2 is it...
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Concept 2.

I've used two others, both at hotel gyms and they were terrible. They forced me into awkward rowing motions that put way too much strain on my back. But maybe it was because I learned how on a Concept 2 so I was trying to make those machines work the same.

But yeah, what @Duck_Puddle said, check out a gym with rowers in them first.

You might be able to score a used Concept 2 off the message boards at Crossfit.com. If you look under the 'Get Started' tab, there is a link to message boards, and there is a forum where people can buy equipment. You don't have to be an affiliate to do so. Almost every Crossfit box used Concept 2 rowers, so its a good place to look for a used one.
  • Park51
    Park51 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issue this past winter. As everyone has stated the Concept 2 is hands down the best I've used but it's hard to justify the price. Especially since I didn't know if I'd love rowing on a regular basis. So I found the Sunny Health & Fitness row machine on Amazon for a fraction of the price this past January. It got fairly good reviews and I figured if I didn't stick with it at least I didn't drop a bunch of money on it. For the price I have no complaints but its not a concept. 9 months later, I still row so I will be investing in a Concept 2 in the near future. I will say I do have a bad knee and it does get a little sore occasionally from rowing but its far less sore then running. Hope this helps in a less expensive alternative.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Concept2.

Lots available on Craigslist but they tend to be overpriced older versions (commonly Model C or D w/PM2 or 3 monitors) for only 10-20% less than a new Model D w7a PM5.

Better to buy one new for $940 including shipping, which is what I did.

If you don't like it or use it enough, as a newer lightly used rower, it'll be easy to sell for $750-800, which is what older less desireable models are being offered at.

If in doubt, find a gym that uses them and try it out before buying one.

• bikecheryl
    Options
    Park51 wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue this past winter. As everyone has stated the Concept 2 is hands down the best I've used but it's hard to justify the price. Especially since I didn't know if I'd love rowing on a regular basis. So I found the Sunny Health & Fitness row machine on Amazon for a fraction of the price this past January. It got fairly good reviews and I figured if I didn't stick with it at least I didn't drop a bunch of money on it. For the price I have no complaints but its not a concept. 9 months later, I still row so I will be investing in a Concept 2 in the near future. I will say I do have a bad knee and it does get a little sore occasionally from rowing but its far less sore then running. Hope this helps in a less expensive alternative.

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate you at least trying to answer the question as posted.
    Not all of us can afford the price tag of a top of the line right off the hop.... and I'm in Canada so I'm looking at closer to $1,500, not $940.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I can't afford (or rather, haven't prioritized the purchase) of a C2 either, but I wouldn't get anything else. So I belong to a gym that has one. I've tried other brands and I dislike them. Eventually, I'll probably buy a used one. For now, if I'm snowed in or the gym is closed, I just work out on my bike trainer (a mid-priced one, also bought used).
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Concept 2 all the way.

Worth getting in touch with local rowing clubs to see if they can put you on a list for next time they want to replace some of theirs. Depending where you are in Canada, there's a big rowing scene around.
    Also, the big indoor rowing competitions (not sure about Canada, certainly the C.R.A.S.H. Bs and the British Indoor Champs) normally sell off ALL the rowers used for the competition immediately afterwards, and although they're not hugely reduced they have only been used for a weekend at most.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a model C with a PM2 monitor. I've been actual rowing since 1999 and never found the additional graphs and nonsense on the newer ones the slightest bit of use. If it times, gives you a stroke rate, distance, and a split (time /500m) then that's literally all you need.
    You may need to replace the bungee, oil the chain and hoover the dust out of the fan cage, but well looked after, they go on nigh on forever. Pretty sure my rowing club gym is still mostly model Cs

Otherwise, save a search on eBay or GumTree or Craigslist or whatever so you get notifications when new ones get listed in your price range...
    I've no idea if it's reputable, but a site called Kijiji has ads listing them from a few hundred dollars. I can't get the pictures because I'm at work, but you really don't need the latest model!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    My gym have Concept 2. I like them
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    Gym isn't an option.... I already spend 2+ hours commuting to work, getting up at 5:00 am now. :#
    That's why I'd prefer something at home. :)
    I'm keeping an eye on Kijiji... but I don't think there's an overly huge rowing community around here because I've yet to see one come up for sale.
  • Laural7
    Laural7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a sole sr500 I waited and on black Friday 2016 I snaged it for $390 with free shipping (I've seen it marked down on whoot as well). I'm pleased with it. It still works and looks new, the action is smooth, has programs, adjustable resistance ect... My dad has a concept 2 I love it, the sr500 is close (as close as I've found atleast) and I'm happy with keeping my 400+ bucks and using this one till it dies. Honestly if you can snag it for the 400ish ball park I think you'll be happy :) best of luck
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,929 Member
    Options
    I just keep an eye on Gumtree for a Concept2.

One has showed up recently, but was, of course, snapped up a few hours later. Maybe next time.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    Laural7 wrote: »
    I have a sole sr500 I waited and on black Friday 2016 I snaged it for $390 with free shipping (I've seen it marked down on whoot as well). I'm pleased with it. It still works and looks new, the action is smooth, has programs, adjustable resistance ect... My dad has a concept 2 I love it, the sr500 is close (as close as I've found atleast) and I'm happy with keeping my 400+ bucks and using this one till it dies. Honestly if you can snag it for the 400ish ball park I think you'll be happy :) best of luck

Thanks for the input - I've put alerts out for the Sole and the Concept2 in our local Kijiji.... and have an eye open for sales on Amazon, etc.

• Rosiev2014
    Rosiev2014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can hire for a month or two to see how you go before you splash the cash! I have a waterrower...on loan from my sister...a few floating around on gumtree/eBay etc!