Weight loss/muscle build & Low Carb High protein diet

Replies

• jonathanclough
    jonathanclough Posts: 20 Member
    Why don't you want to eat all of the calories you're supposed to? It makes no sense that you're punishing your body this hard and given you work in what I imagine is a hot environment, you're going to end up fainting on the job sooner rather than later if you keep this madness up.

You are netting a minus number. You don't have enough calories to sustain normal bodily functions much less all the activity you do and it's not like you're 300lbs with enough fat stores to take up a lot of the slack.

Eat more. If that means adding carbs to your day then do it, there's nothing wrong with carbs and they are an easy way to bring up the calories. Plus, they're awesome for fuelling workouts and are actually muscle sparing. And you have to look to the long term too, if you are so scared of eating a paltry 1600 calories what happens when you get to maintenance and have to eat 3000+?

As for the strength training you are doing, sure you can retain (and build if eating at a surplus) doing high reps low weights but it's not the best use of time. I'd rather spend 45 minutes doing it as efficiently as possibly vs 2 hours to get enough reps with the high rep method.

This thread is a great resource to find the training program that's the best fit for you:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I know that to gain the muscle faster I'll need to eat more, and that's totally fine. Right now I'm trying to shred off some of the 30 lbs I put on in the last year since I quit smoking. And that 30 lbs was mostly fat. Which sounds crazy considering I was only 160 tops to begin with
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Why don't you want to eat all of the calories you're supposed to? It makes no sense that you're punishing your body this hard and given you work in what I imagine is a hot environment, you're going to end up fainting on the job sooner rather than later if you keep this madness up.

You are netting a minus number. You don't have enough calories to sustain normal bodily functions much less all the activity you do and it's not like you're 300lbs with enough fat stores to take up a lot of the slack.

Eat more. If that means adding carbs to your day then do it, there's nothing wrong with carbs and they are an easy way to bring up the calories. Plus, they're awesome for fuelling workouts and are actually muscle sparing. And you have to look to the long term too, if you are so scared of eating a paltry 1600 calories what happens when you get to maintenance and have to eat 3000+?

As for the strength training you are doing, sure you can retain (and build if eating at a surplus) doing high reps low weights but it's not the best use of time. I'd rather spend 45 minutes doing it as efficiently as possibly vs 2 hours to get enough reps with the high rep method.

This thread is a great resource to find the training program that's the best fit for you:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I know that to gain the muscle faster I'll need to eat more, and that's totally fine. Right now I'm trying to shred off some of the 30 lbs I put on in the last year since I quit smoking. And that 30 lbs was mostly fat. Which sounds crazy considering I was only 160 tops to begin with

You're not going to gain muscle when in a deficit, especially with how little you are eating. You don't have enough fat stores to support how little you are eating so you will be obliterating muscle instead of maintaining, never mind building.

Did you even read the first paragraph of my response never mind the rest? You are doing harm. Potentially a lot of harm.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Before people go off the rails sounding alarms about the seemingly high daily deficit, the OP is likely not burning close to 4K+ calories per day. A 4-lb wt loss in the first week is nothing either. 75% of the loss is water and glycogen--quite frankly I'm surprised it wasn't more (more evidence to support the idea that OP's TDEE is overstated).

OP: while I agree with others there is no need to go low carb, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with your program. You've only been doing this for a week. Pay attention and make adjustments if necessary. You will likely find that you will have to up your calories a bit to maintain your activity level.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Gaining muscle doesn't work like that
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I'm 32, 5'6", 152 when started 1 week ago (148.4) as of this morning...
    ...Right now I'm trying to shred off some of the 30 lbs I put on in the last year since I quit smoking. And that 30 lbs was mostly fat. Which sounds crazy considering I was only 160 tops to begin with

I'm not following the math here. If you were 160 and added 30 lbs, how were you not around 190 last week when you started working on losing weight?

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    OP, you are at a "normal" weight BMI so I can't understand why you'd want to be in calorie deficit and lose more. Your protein intake is higher than necessary but that could be your preference. You don't "need" more than .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass.
    I'm guessing your aren't happy with how your body looks and you see too much fat. You may be "skinny fat". Eg. too high a body fat % for your weight. Hard to say without pics. If I were you, I wouldn't be looking to drop weight. I would be getting adequate protein and lifting weights on a full body compound movement program. I'd eat at maintenance. This is called a recomp. You will slowly lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass and reshape your body. Low carb not necessary. Just hit protein, adequate fats, about .35 to .45 grams per body weight and the rest carbs or whatever you prefer.
  • jonathanclough
    jemhh wrote: »
    ...Right now I'm trying to shred off some of the 30 lbs I put on in the last year since I quit smoking. And that 30 lbs was mostly fat. Which sounds crazy considering I was only 160 tops to begin with

I'm not following the math here. If you were 160 and added 30 lbs, how were you not around 190 last week when you started working on losing weight?

I was 160 at the highest mark after gaining the 30 lbs. Sorry for not being too clear
  • jonathanclough
    mmapags wrote: »
    OP, you are at a "normal" weight BMI so I can't understand why you'd want to be in calorie deficit and lose more. Your protein intake is higher than necessary but that could be your preference. You don't "need" more than .8 to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass.
    I'm guessing your aren't happy with how your body looks and you see too much fat. You may be "skinny fat". Eg. too high a body fat % for your weight. Hard to say without pics. If I were you, I wouldn't be looking to drop weight. I would be getting adequate protein and lifting weights on a full body compound movement program. I'd eat at maintenance. This is called a recomp. You will slowly lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass and reshape your body. Low carb not necessary. Just hit protein, adequate fats, about .35 to .45 grams per body weight and the rest carbs or whatever you prefer.

You sir, hit the nail on the head. As of yesterday morning I was at 19.1% body fat
  • mmapags

You sir, hit the nail on the head. As of yesterday morning I was at 19.1% body fat

Which honestly, is a fine body fat. You don't say how old you are but that would be decent even in your 20s. So, then it's a body shape issue. Eat at maintenance and lift weights. It's going to take a bit so you will need some patience as you slowly drop body fat and gain muscle mass. You will see some short term improvements in muscle mass and shape but that will level off and change more slowly. You will see strength gains the whole while if on a progressive program.
  • jonathanclough

Which honestly, is a fine body fat. You don't say how old you are but that would be decent even in your 20s. So, then it's a body shape issue. Eat at maintenance and lift weights. It's going to take a bit so you will need some patience as you slowly drop body fat and gain muscle mass. You will see some short term improvements in muscle mass and shape but that will level off and change more slowly. You will see strength gains the whole while if on a progressive program.

I think I said my age? Anyways, I'm 32
  • mmapags
    edited September 2017

I think I said my age? Anyways, I'm 32

Yes you did. My bad. I missed it. So, you are in the "average" group for your age. (depending on which source)
    You have 2 choices. Cut down to 15% (assuming how your measuring is accurate) while lifting to maintain muscle mass. Then bulk to gain muscle mass.

Or, recomp as I already said. They'll both take about the same amount of time and get you to the same place.
    ETA: a high deficit would be self defeating given your BMI and BF%. 1/2 lb per week would be right. More is too aggressive and could prove muscle wasting.
  • jemhh wrote: »

I was 160 at the highest mark after gaining the 30 lbs. Sorry for not being too clear

so you are wanting to be 130 lbs? thats probably underweight for a male at your height. for my height(half inch taller) my weight should be 118-152 I think it says. I know at 118 I look sickly. But Im female too so that makes a little difference.
  • mmapags wrote: »

how are you measuring your body fat?
  • jonathanclough

so you are wanting to be 130 lbs? thats probably underweight for a male at your height. for my height(half inch taller) my weight should be 118-152 I think it says. I know at 118 I look sickly. But Im female too so that makes a little difference.

No, I dont want to go down to 130 again. That's too little. I want to get down to 140 before I started putting on muscle though
  • jonathanclough

how are you measuring your body fat?

I have a Withings scale. It fluxes between 18% and 20% but that's mostly due to how much water is in my body
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

No, I dont want to go down to 130 again. That's too little. I want to get down to 140 before I started putting on muscle though

Okay, so that's what, 8 lbs? Definitely go for 0.5 lb per week weight loss, get your 0.8-1g of protein per lb, and your 0.35-0.45g of fat, eat all your calories (including at least half your exercise cals), stop worrying about carbs, lift heavy things (using a progressive programme, don't just wing it), eat mostly whole, nutritious foods, but allow some room for treats (with your cal allowance, you have plenty of room).

Is this all making sense now?
  • jonathanclough
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Okay, so that's what, 8 lbs? Definitely go for 0.5 lb per week weight loss, get your 0.8-1g of protein per lb, and your 0.35-0.45g of fat, eat all your calories (including at least half your exercise cals), stop worrying about carbs, lift heavy things (using a progressive programme, don't just wing it), eat mostly whole, nutritious foods, but allow some room for treats (with your cal allowance, you have plenty of room).

I started a progressive routine already. Today is day 2 of week 2. It all made sense except the carbs from the beginning
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

I started a progressive routine already. Today is day 2 of week 2. It all made sense except the carbs from the beginning

Okay, good. You all good with the carbs now?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Okay, good. You all good with the carbs now?

And eating more if necessary once you have more data on losses?
  • sarakhan8725
    sarakhan8725 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello I m 73 KGS I need help to reduce my weight up to 55 KGS and also I m mother of 3 kids I m 5'4 hight