Fitness for diabetics

Options
Hello everyone,
is there anyone who has been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes?
As a diabetic, I have to look at several things in my mind in terms of diet and exercise. So looking for similar kind of people and want to discuss further.
I was 115Kg and so far lost 20Kg. Now I am 95Kg, but my weight got stuck at 95Kg for several months.
Thanks,
Regards,
Sajid.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My overfat boss was classified as "pre diabetic" with an A1C of 9.0. He started a Keto diet (mostly fat, <20g carbs daily) and has in eight weeks dropped 45 lbs as well as his A1C to median normal levels.

I would strongly suggest taking up weight training on any beginner's program (Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc) as well. The physiological effects of weight training help as well.

Best of luck!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    For me, walking has helped so much.
  • lindseyschwinger
    Options
    I'm a very active type 1 diabetic and follow a ketogenic diet also. Been life changing, it seemed when I started lifting weights that my insulin sensitivity went up as in now I need less insulin from day to day which has also leaned me out and reduce overall body fat. I definitely second the weight training combined with whatever cardio makes you happy!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    walking and strength training
  • DownrangeDave57
    DownrangeDave57 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Keto dropped my A1c from 6.7 to 5.4 in 6-8 weeks, along with walking and other mildish cardio.
  • Extreme_Design_Fitness
    Options
    I actually got rid of my type 2 by diet and exercise I am now a pre diabetic and also since I fell in love with fitness I became a personal trainer.. the key is diet and strength training
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SajidAust wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    is there anyone who has been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes?
    As a diabetic, I have to look at several things in my mind in terms of diet and exercise. So looking for similar kind of people and want to discuss further.
    I was 115Kg and so far lost 20Kg. Now I am 95Kg, but my weight got stuck at 95Kg for several months.
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Sajid.

I am in remission (A1C ranges between 5.0 and 5.4). My exercise is walking, swimming, and water aerobics.

Unless you have already progressed to neuropathy, your diabetes should not inhibit any activity. If you do have issues, you really need to speak with your doctor and a physical therapist for a workout program.