Favourite meals that tick all the boxes - what's yours?

Options
Ok so just finished my most favourite go to meal and finally tried weighing everything out (just got a scale) - surprise surprise it actually comes in lower than I was guesstimating before! Hubby (who LOVES tacos and potatoes) and I have this probably once a week.

It all started with extra potatos and a craving for tacos. What to do? In a moment of inspiration we thought, why not dress a baked potato like a taco!?! And thus was born the Potaco. Baked potato, cut in half , filled with mince chicken taco meat (I add a bit of mince pork for added richness), a sprinkle of shredded cheddar, fresh guac, lots of fresh pico de Gallo, cilantro, lime , and sour cream. I had three potato halves which filled a large dinner plate (I could barely finish it but I had already measured it and weighed it and it fit in my calories so what's a girl to do!!) And was soooo filling and yummy. It came in at 625 cal, with a macro split of C35%, F43% , P22%. I will use low fat sour cream next time and maybe skip the pork to lower the fat ratio.

Yummy? Check
Easy? Check
Filling? Check
Reasonable cal? Check
Macros? Check (maybe lol)

So what's your go to meal that ticks all your boxes?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Some of my current faves

Breakfast
    Sweet omelette made with 2 Eggs, teaspoon of Stevia powder, Fresh Blueberries and Raspberries with a little sugar-free syrup on the top. Around 200 cals 12g Protein/10g Fat/8g Carbs If I am feeling particularly indulgent I might add a few dark choc chips too.

Lunch
    Garlic Chicken & Quinoa Salad - Approx 400 cals 47g Protein/7.5g Fat/ 27g Carbs or Homemade
    Basically just Chicken cooked in a Maggi Garlic Paper and popped in a box with some quinoa, cucumber & spinach.
    Broccoli & Blue Cheese Soup (with a brown roll) Approx 345 cals 15g Protein/17g Fat/ 36g Carbs
    Dinner
    Creamy Mushroom Chicken - Approx 300 cals without sides 37g Protein/12g Fat/17g Carbs
    Chicken Breast, slow cooked in a tin of mushroom soup with extra chestnut mushrooms thrown in. Normally have it with a big portion of broccoli.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Soup and/or stew. Cheap, easy, and fully-tailorable macros & calorie density (including being the easiest way to get any significant fiber into the diet (dried split peas, beans, lentils,..). The extra fiber also makes a bowl as little as 200 calories surprisingly filling.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Another vote for soups. Great way to sneak in extra veggies.

I made a batch recently that had shredded chicken, roasted cauliflower, carrots, apples and onion in a lightly curried chicken stock base. It was heavenly, I ate it every day for a week and a half!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    And thus was born the Potaco.

This is my new favorite word. Thanks OP!

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Here is my meal. Everything but spices is straight from my farm and garden

3 lb(s), Goat Meat (Raw)
    • 1 tsp, Ground Cumin
    • 2 tsp, Cayenne Pepper
    • 2 tsp., Coriander, Ground
    • 0.25 tsp (1.2g), Kosher Salt
    • 1 each, Onion
    • 2 Pepper, Fresh
    • 2 cup, chopped, Peppers, sweet, red, raw
    • 1 Cup, Chopped, Red Onion
    • 4 potatoe, Red Potato
    • 2 cup, Royal Blend Rice Blend
    • 6 tbsp, Spices, curry powder

Nutrition Facts

Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 513
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 7 g 10 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 6 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 128 mg 43 %
    Sodium 277 mg 12 %
    Potassium 1554 mg 44 %
    Total Carbohydrate 57 g 19 %
    Dietary Fiber 9 g 34 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 68 g 136 %
    Vitamin A 36 %
    Vitamin C 138 %
    Calcium 6 %
    Iron 24 %
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mine is a really good pasta meat sauce with 1/2 a serving of whole grain pasta and a butt ton of zoodles. I get every macro, complex carbs, and a LOT of volume from the zoodles. I also tend to use beef vs turkey as it feels more indulgent.

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    AMV91 wrote: »
    Mine is a really good pasta meat sauce with 1/2 a serving of whole grain pasta and a butt ton of zoodles. I get every macro, complex carbs, and a LOT of volume from the zoodles. I also tend to use beef vs turkey as it feels more indulgent.

So smart! I never thought of mixing the pasta with zoodles. What a great way to keep calories down but still have the satisfaction of pasta!
  • jelleigh
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Another vote for soups. Great way to sneak in extra veggies.

I made a batch recently that had shredded chicken, roasted cauliflower, carrots, apples and onion in a lightly curried chicken stock base. It was heavenly, I ate it every day for a week and a half!

I love soups ! But I live in a super hot climate now and just don't crave it the same as when I was home. Soup always felt like a great autumn or winter food. ;)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Ok so just finished my most favourite go to meal and finally tried weighing everything out (just got a scale) - surprise surprise it actually comes in lower than I was guesstimating before! Hubby (who LOVES tacos and potatoes) and I have this probably once a week.

It all started with extra potatos and a craving for tacos. What to do? In a moment of inspiration we thought, why not dress a baked potato like a taco!?! And thus was born the Potaco. Baked potato, cut in half , filled with mince chicken taco meat (I add a bit of mince pork for added richness), a sprinkle of shredded cheddar, fresh guac, lots of fresh pico de Gallo, cilantro, lime , and sour cream. I had three potato halves which filled a large dinner plate (I could barely finish it but I had already measured it and weighed it and it fit in my calories so what's a girl to do!!) And was soooo filling and yummy. It came in at 625 cal, with a macro split of C35%, F43% , P22%. I will use low fat sour cream next time and maybe skip the pork to lower the fat ratio.

Yummy? Check
    Easy? Check
    Filling? Check
    Reasonable cal? Check
    Macros? Check (maybe lol)

So what's your go to meal that ticks all your boxes?

This sounds really good. Do you slice the potato length wise and scoop out some of the potato to fill it? I might do this tonight. I wanted taco bell today, but it is raining and my car is in the very far lot :(.
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    [

This sounds really good. Do you slice the potato length wise and scoop out some of the potato to fill it? I might do this tonight. I wanted taco bell today, but it is raining and my car is in the very far lot :(.

Ya the first time I did it it was a bit more like a potato skin - cut lengthwise and scooped out. After that I just didn't bother. I suppose if you wanted some less potato calories then that would work.
    Sometimes I will slice the half potato up a bit and just pour all the toppings on top. Essentially it ends up being a mound of toppings that cover some potato halves on a plate . ;) It's not the most structured plate but it sure is tasty!