How to make exercise a habit?

Options
How do people go from doing no exercise to becoming addicted to it? I'm great for a month, then back to my normal lazy self. I just can't get myself to stick to it. I've just never been someone that enjoys exercise, or any sports.

I've been eating 1300 calories for absolute ages, I really would love a bit more calories as I'm really struggling with it now. Plus my body doesn't look great. I have skinny legs and arms, with a massive bloated-looking stomach. I fit in small clothes, but can't wear anything tight-fitted as I have too many lumps and bumps and I look pregnant. I've surpassed my goal weight, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be and know that exercise the key to what I want. But I just can't do it.

How do I get from couch potato - literally, I probably walk 500 steps a day - if that, to at least somewhat active?

Replies

• Winner5555555
    Winner5555555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great question
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I suggest strength training! It's awesome because it will help you build muscle and you will notice yourself getting stronger and stronger. It's so exciting for me going from doing 3 push-ups in a row to 20, all in 2 or 3 weeks. And I only do bodyweight, so imagine if you use weights!
    I used an app called "Fabulous" for like 20 days, and I know picked up the habit of drinking water as soon as I wake up, I don't even think about it. Check it out, the basic package is free!
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a good 4 week plan online, and do it. Once you finish it find a 12 week plan...and do it. Repeat.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Get a dog?! Having a high energy animal who needs daily runs or a very long walk motivates me most of the time. And it makes hiking more fun, I think.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    How's your nutrition? I started enjoying exercise when I started eating more nutritiously, specifically more iron and more protein, but perhaps other vitamins as well. It's hard to keep up an exercise regimen when you're anemic.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    I found that this article helped inspire me to go to the gym more. I hope this helps you.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mensfitness.com/life/entertainment/workout-advice-terry-crews/amp
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You know exercise is the key to what you want. The question is, how bad do you really want it?
    Sign up for classes or make appointments with a trainer. That helped me develop a routine.
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    try listening to Shia Lebeauf "JUST DO IT"
    every morning before your tasks.

YESTERDAY YOU SAID TOMORROW

JUST DO IT

DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If i want to eat more than the bare minimum then i have no choice but to make exercise a habit.
    My desire to eat more outweighs my laziness.

I'm no gym junkie or hardcore exerciser. I have a Fitbit with a set step goal which i try and hit everyday.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Setting small goals is an effective way to start.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some people like to dance...so they do that. I have always loved martial arts so I started doing that years ago and dropped 30lbs in 3 months. Then when i stopped MMA i gained like 60 lbs over an 8 year period. Now I started running races and i hate running but i love getting medals so we shall see how that goes. Find what you love that gets you moving and it wont feel like exercise.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i find joining a boot camp or doing a groupon or something motivates me more than just going to the gym everyday. I'm all about accountability and if people know if i show up or not, it makes me go.

once i get in the habit [2 months or so] it's hard to get out of the habit...whether working out or being lazy....

they say it takes 21 days to make a habit so workout 21 days in a row...and see what happens....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    How do people go from doing no exercise to becoming addicted to it? I'm great for a month, then back to my normal lazy self. I just can't get myself to stick to it. I've just never been someone that enjoys exercise, or any sports.

How do I get from couch potato - literally, I probably walk 500 steps a day - if that, to at least somewhat active?

Incorporate it throughout your day.

I walk as part of my commute ... can't get to the bus without walking! And sometimes I get off a stop or two early to make it a longer walk.

I walk at lunch ... mainly to run errands, but about once a week it is just a nice long brisk walk.

I climb stairs at work. I climb them to get to my floor, and I do some extra on breaks as well.

I walk after work with my husband. That's our "date" several times a week ... it's the time when we can talk to each other without the TV going and computers on and housework happening, etc.

This semester, on Mondays I am at the university. I walk from work to the university, and then after my classes, there's a spinning class at the university gym, so I go to that. I might also stay and use the rowing machine or treadmill as well.

On the weekends my husband and I cycle because we love cycling ... I've been cycling since I was a kid and have loved it ever since. We will also cycle after work sometimes too instead of walking ... just depends on darkness and the weather.

It's just what we do. :)

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is something that I do just for me! That is one of the things that only I can benefit from that no one can interfere with. It started because I was at a point were I was so unhappy at work and not doing much better at home that when I started working out and seeing/feeling the results I kept going because I needed to. Maybe you need to find something that you enjoy and can benefit from that is just for you.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did enjoy going to the gym when I was going, I much prefer it to classes, but once I stop going, it takes me forever to get back into it. I think I need to exercise for longer than a month. Maybe 3 or 4 months or so before it starts becoming a habit. Also, whenever I start exercising I usually go all out, maybe I'll aim for just 4 days a week to begin, then try to increase to 5-6 days later.