Low mood

Options
Any tips on how to cope with low mood?

My usual go to was either binging on bad food or not eating at all. I suffer mood disorders and don't want to lose track as if been doing so well with my eating for the last week.

Please help!

Replies

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Exercise! It may be hard to get moving but once you do you'll feel awesome.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I also have a mood disorder (bipolar) and am in functional depression currently.

Excercise outside (running/walking in the bush if I can; weights in my backyard) helps immensely. Not always while I'm doing it, but as a regular cumulative effect it smooths things considerably.

That's to say, it's worse if I let the physical activity slip.

In conjunction with lithium and therapy in my case.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Walking or even just being outside. Maybe go to a local park, take a short walk, and then just sit and enjoy nature. Or get a nice cup of coffee or tea and sit outside and enjoy it.

Read something inspirational or something you can get lost in (e.g., a really good mystery).

Take a nice, relaxing bath.

Try a hobby such as coloring, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, crocheting, etc. (but not something that will make you feel more stressed/down).

Google guided meditations for depression, anxiety, relaxation, stress relief. Also, Google relaxation music or nature sounds. I really like some of Jason Stephenson's meditations.

Watch a movie that makes you feel better.

Consider calling or getting together with a close friend or family member.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I really like SaraKim17's suggestions and lizery's comments and want to note: not everything will work. The same thing might not work every time. Take good notes, commit to being the expert on you, and you'll start to be able to put together an array of techniques. And if something doesn't work, you haven't wasted time, you've gathered valuable data.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Exercise! It may be hard to get moving but once you do you'll feel awesome.

This!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Exercise for sure. Make goals, track your progress and be proud.

Find things that will help trigger identification that you're starting to feel xyz mood then come up with a plan how to refocus.
  • Kasey_1994
    Kasey_1994 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have aspergers and dysthymia. I find the best things when I'm incredibly low is showering and just sitting out in the sun. Sometimes I won't even shower if I'm very low so exercise certainly isn't going to happen for me. Sitting in the sun feels so warm and nice though so it's helpful to me. Everything else is baby steps and trying your hardest.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Kasey_1994 wrote: »
    I have aspergers and dysthymia. I find the best things when I'm incredibly low is showering and just sitting out in the sun. Sometimes I won't even shower if I'm very low so exercise certainly isn't going to happen for me. Sitting in the sun feels so warm and nice though so it's helpful to me. Everything else is baby steps and trying your hardest.

You know this is basically what I do when I'm really in a bad way, too.
  • KayceeSimone
    KayceeSimone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the awesome advice!! Just don't want to slip on my progress with my eating as I usually go one way or another. I appreciate you all