Elliptical

Options
What is the best elliptical and affordable and will last ? I plan on using it 130 min a day. thanks !

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you need to exercise for over 2 hours on an elliptical?

What are your fitness goals?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My favourite is the Cybex ARC trainer but....
    I plan on using it 130 min a day.
    ... sure sounds dreadfully dull. Intrigued to know why you would want to do that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    http://www.hammacher.com/Product/84876?promo=search

Cheap, effective. I have a high grade treadmill which I used in my early days of this weight loss experience. My wife observed my progress and asked me to purchase this device for her own use. It has a 100 kg weight limit. After my weight declined below 200 lb, I started using this device.
    Now, I prefer this device and use it most days.

I did have to buy a carbide drill bit, drill two new holes and add 2 new screws to truly strengthen and stabilize the handles. After that bit of aftermarket improvement, it's a product I'm pleased to recommend.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use a NordicTrack that has a stride adjust incline ramp. It's a great piece of equipment, I love it.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    i also have a Nordic track cross trainer / eliptical- i bought mine from a local charity shop for £15. ( would have cost £700 new, as it was a semi commercial machine,). I needed a heavy duty model as i started out at over 200kg, a lot of the cheaper models are rated at 100kg or 120kg, ok for many people but something to bear in mind. i use mine everyday but do Hiit on it for about 10 to 15 mins. Nordic track are well made machines
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    What is the best elliptical and affordable and will last ? I plan on using it 130 min a day. thanks !

Hit up thrift shops and used equipment ads in late spring and early fall (when New Year's resolution & "beach body goals" equipment gets sold). I have a gym quality Precor elliptical and a NordicTrack treadmill (combined cost if new > $5000) that I bought for $600.

Sadly, you usually get what you pay for. Go to any sports equipment store and try out several models. Especially on an elliptical, you will feel a huge difference between the cheaply made models and the nice ones. Most used ones, are sold because they aren't used.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    i also have a Nordic track cross trainer / eliptical- i bought mine from a local charity shop for £15. ( would have cost £700 new, as it was a semi commercial machine,). I needed a heavy duty model as i started out at over 200kg, a lot of the cheaper models are rated at 100kg or 120kg, ok for many people but something to bear in mind. i use mine everyday but do Hiit on it for about 10 to 15 mins. Nordic track are well made machines

I am on my 2nd NordicTrack treadmill. First one lasted me about 10 years (I literally wore the tread off). I have never had any problems with them. I lucked out and found my new one used (well, I don't think it was very used - the tread still looked brand new).
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I found a "good" elliptical to be cost prohibitive. So, my gym, Retro Fitness, at $22 per month was a better deal. Considering that my health insurance pays me back $20 for every month I go to the gym 12 times, it's even better.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I found a "good" elliptical to be cost prohibitive. So, my gym, Retro Fitness, at $22 per month was a better deal. Considering that my health insurance pays me back $20 for every month I go to the gym 12 times, it's even better.

^^^ This.

Unless you're prepared to spend 1500-3000 for a Precor/ARC/Life fitness Pro model don't bother.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

^^^ This.

Unless you're prepared to spend 1500-3000 for a Precor/ARC/Life fitness Pro model don't bother.

This. Your best bet cost-wise is to find one lightly used. Otherwise a halfway decent machine will run upwards of $2K easy.

Another alternative if you get lucky - look for gyms that are going out of business or ask your local gyms what they do with older machines. You might be able to get a gym-quality machine for a song.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I dont know why we need $2,000 elliptical. I got some cheap one from Dick's Sporting Goods almost 8 years ago and its going strong. Probably logging 1,000+ minutes a year minimum.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I dont know why we need $2,000 elliptical. I got some cheap one from Dick's Sporting Goods almost 8 years ago and its going strong. Probably logging 1,000+ minutes a year minimum.

1000 minutes? That's 2 weeks usage for most people. A month at the outside.