Anyone play Pickleball?

Options
I just moved to a new town which has a very active recreation department. I am thinking of signing up for Pickleball. but I had never heard of it. I did check out a bunch of YouTube videos but want some real life experiences. The sessions I am thinking of are subtitled "Social" (as opposed to some other nights/locations that are labeled "Competitive").

I am OK at ping pong, really good at badminton, and suck at tennis.

Replies

• MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I want to try pickleball, it looks like fun.
  • Royal1954
    Royal1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I play competitive pickleball. Lots of outdoor fun. Good people. Great activity. It's the fastest growing sport at the moment. With your racquet experience I wouldn't hesitate a second to try it out. Start out with social/beginner sessions to learn the rules and etiquette at your location. I'm sure you won't be sorry. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
  • lk031
    lk031 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun and you'll pick it up fast. The hardest thing to get used to is how hard you have to smack the ball. I've seen 80 year old ladies who have never done sports pick it up, so you should not be intimidated to give it a go!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just signed up ($20 for 12 weeks). The listed classes filled up really fast so they added more at another location and there were only 4 spots left there. Apparently it is really popular here. The original location was a few blocks from my home so I could walk there. The new location is a little over a mile from my home so I can still walk there, but I think I will drive the first time to see how tired I get.

It looks like a fun activity, something I should be able to do, and a way to get to know people in my new town (village technically).

So . . . . how many calories do you think I will burn :*
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    We played pickleball in HS gym it was really fun!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    lk031 wrote: »
    It's a lot of fun and you'll pick it up fast. The hardest thing to get used to is how hard you have to smack the ball. I've seen 80 year old ladies who have never done sports pick it up, so you should not be intimidated to give it a go!!

How heavy is the paddle? That was my biggest issue with tennis, I just could not swing the racket hard enough. Badminton rackets, no problem.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    We played it in gym class in high school. I don't remember it being very difficult. I think we used wood paddles that were a bit bigger than ping pong paddles.

Looking it up the paddles are about 6 oz -14 oz.
    http://pickleballhelp.com/how-to-pick-the-right-pickleball-paddle/
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    We played it in gym class in high school. I don't remember it being very difficult. I think we used wood paddles that were a bit bigger than ping pong paddles.

Looking it up the paddles are about 6 oz -14 oz.
    http://pickleballhelp.com/how-to-pick-the-right-pickleball-paddle/

Thanks. I usually bowl with a 12 lb ball so I should be OK.