Working Out/A Little Hurt

Options
Should one workout out if they are even a little hurt. Always have to be aware of the signs your body tell you.

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It depends on the hurt. I have no worries about working out with aching muscles (DOMS) but if I have an actual injury, I rest.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Are you a little hurt, like a possible injury? Or are you just sore? If I'm sore I still workout. If its a possible injury then I would have to make that decision based on the type and severity of the injury.
  • pubali90
    pubali90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A little hurt could probably lactic acidosis in the strained group of muscles...it requires flushing with ingestion of lots if water..it can be prevented by stretching the muscles well prior workout...
    Sore muscles are common in people working out..not an absolute indication to pause workout..
    If the condition persists for more than a week , could be a market of muscle or tendon injury or some underlying organic cause that needs a thorough evaluation. .
    Keep going strong:))
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It depends on the hurt. I have no worries about working out with aching muscles (DOMS) but if I have an actual injury, I rest.

Agreed.

Depends on wha tyou mean by "a little hurt". In most cases, I would say you know your body, you know when you're sore vs hurt, but the MFP crowd can be a little... uh... what's the word...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on the hurt.
    Sometimes you might want to dial back intensity, change activities or rest for awhile.
    I have had a bad habit of starting new exercise too intensely and hurting myself. I've gotten better about starting smaller and gradually increasing the activity.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What does a little hurt mean?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Should one workout out if they are even a little hurt. Always have to be aware of the signs your body tell you.

Is there even a question here?

There's normal post-exercise soreness, and then there's injuries. If you are unable to tell the difference, err on the side of caution.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Is there even a question here?

There's normal post-exercise soreness, and then there's injuries. If you are unable to tell the difference, err on the side of caution.

If you don't know what is causing the hurt, seek medical help. You can tell if it is normal soreness. You can tell if you pulled something. You may not be able to tell if your foot pain is a stress fracture, strain, or arthritis.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

So what's your body telling *you*?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Is this injury or soreness? If injury, let that part heal. If possible injury, let that part heal. If you're just sore, just don't overwork it
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I can't remember a day when something wasn't hurting. DOMS pain = use it anyway. Arthritis pain = use it anyway. Injury pain = nope nope nope. The injuries are the hardest - I am in the process of healing up right now and I have to judge where I am actually at without NSAIDS on board because that med pretty much takes the pain away. Still not cleared for lifting, dammit. Hopefully by Monday.