L-Glutamine supplement for sugar addict

Options
Does this supplement work and has anyone here tried it? Having awful sugar cravings. Debating to do the sugar and flour detox but curious about these supplements

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Does L-Glutamine work for what?
    For sugar addiction? No, because sugar addiction isn't a thing.

They just want to know if it helps reduce their sugar cravings :+1:
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of LGlutamine for sugar cravings.
    It's normally chromium.

If you over eat sugary foods then not buying them or having them in the house is a great way to reduce the amount you eat.
  • CamGoddess
    CamGoddess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did a google search and found it was being promoted on the Goop website and some paleo sites.
    I can't vouch for this site (since I'm not familiar with it) but it had an interesting article that was somewhat well-annotated (and they had NOT found studies or medical journal articles to support effectiveness on sugar cravings):
    https://paleoleap.com/glutamine/
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you see it in Facebook or as a YouTube link, it's not real. Just scammers trying to sell you stuff.
    A pill from a link is never the cure.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm on an alcoholism forum and members there highly recommend L-glute for sugar/alcohol cravings,I've only tried it a couple of times and it just made me tired and GI issues
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Supplements from Facebook links: hn9nbid8arw4.gif
  • craigspaterson33
    craigspaterson33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try some naturally sweet and healthy fruit.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    https://examine.com/supplements/glutamine/
    A conditionally essential amino acid which only appears to benefit the body as supplementation when otherwise deficient (vegans, vegetarians with low dairy intake) or during prolonged endurance exercise. Anecdotally reported to reduce sugar cravings.

It's not mentioned anywhere else on the page so it doesn't seem like any studies have really been done in regards to sugar cravings. But it could work, who knows.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    https://examine.com/supplements/glutamine/
    A conditionally essential amino acid which only appears to benefit the body as supplementation when otherwise deficient (vegans, vegetarians with low dairy intake) or during prolonged endurance exercise. Anecdotally reported to reduce sugar cravings.

It's not mentioned anywhere else on the page so it doesn't seem like any studies have really been done in regards to sugar cravings. But it could work, who knows.

The placebo effect is a powerful and mysterious thing.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of using it for reducing sugar cravings. As a BB it has benefits...

Protein synthesis - preventing your muscles from being catabolized during a cut. Helps to maintain cell volume and hydration, speeds up wound and burn healing and recovery, replenishes declining glutamine levels during intense workouts, can help produce growth hormone levels, can boost immune system, can help intestines.. I use it daily and I also eat sweets daily :smile:
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have tried this, but didn't notice any real difference. The only thing that really keeps my sugar cravings under control is protein, protein, protein (.8g/# of body weight). Keeps me full and I rarely crave sugar if I stick to that.