Can't Breathe

Options
Hi all,

I'm having a problem when I'm exercising and wondering if it sounds like a medical problem or just not being in good shape. It is easy to over-react when looking at online symptoms and go from out of shape to dying in a matter of a few clicks, so I was hoping I could get some opinions before taking my next steps.

I'm 25, female, my BMI is in the mid 19-20 range. I haven't been overweight in over a decade and I go back and forth with exercise, here is why:

Whenever I do -any- cardio exercise that is moderate intensity or higher, I lose my breath very quickly. For instance, even when doing squats (I do rapid paced squats, Ross Enamait style) at around 30 I MUST stop or I will pass out. If I do slow (normal) squats, that number is around 50.

Essentially, I go from fine (now) to a little bit roused/breathing pretty heavy (my perception of normal) to rapid gasps for air where I literally cannot breathe normally and have to gasp and stop and take sharp inward breaths for oxygen.

When I'm more active with cardio it gets a little better (as in I can go longer before this happens, but not by much - maybe a minute or two).

It really bothers me because I have more stamina, energy and will to push through exercises but I feel like if I don't stop I will end up passing out. In cardio routines it comes much before any kind of burn. It fortunately doesn't happen with many strength exercises except squats.

Does this sound like some kind of asthma or other condition? Or is this totally normal and I need to train more? Would you recommend any cardio routines for someone like me?

Thanks

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, and I haven't examined you. Plus my advice comes with a money back guarantee.

What happens with moderate intensity exercise? Can you do a low key bike ride, or a hike, without feeling like you can't breathe?

It sounds like you're trying to go too hard without building up your fitness to support it. But what do I know?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ...I go back and forth with exercise...

Whenever I do -any- cardio exercise that is moderate intensity or higher, I lose my breath very quickly. For instance, even when doing squats (I do rapid paced squats, Ross Enamait style) at around 30...

When I'm more active with cardio it gets a little better (as in I can go longer before this happens, but not by much - maybe a minute or two)...

Sounds like a cardio conditioning issue. Your expectations are too high considering the on again off again nature of your training.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

North, as long as the exercise doesn't involve quick movements (jumping jacks, for example) I'm fine. I could do a two hour hike and as long as we aren't running I'd be fine.

Jemhh, that is what I was hoping! Would you happen to have any programs you would recommend to build up a poor cardio base into something more average even? Or should I maybe try going for runs and just taking breaks?
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You could have exercise-induced asthma, like I do. About three minutes into highish-intensity cardio is the only time I have symptoms. Sometimes it's a problem, sometimes it's not, but when I get that "why the heck can't I breathe" feeling, I take one puff of an inhaler and it usually goes right away. Worth talking to your doctor about!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

North, as long as the exercise doesn't involve quick movements (jumping jacks, for example) I'm fine. I could do a two hour hike and as long as we aren't running I'd be fine.

Jemhh, that is what I was hoping! Would you happen to have any programs you would recommend to build up a poor cardio base into something more average even? Or should I maybe try going for runs and just taking breaks?

Well I'm not sure that your cardio base is below average and I'm not sure what your goals are. If your goal is to get better at running, use a beginner's running program like C25k, which has you work up to full runs by using walk/run intervals. If you want to be able to do 50 bodyweight squats, start with doing fewer and working up (e.g., 3x10 with a bit of rest in between.) If your goal is to do 50 back squats, accept that you likely are always going to feel pretty gassed while doing it.
  • Trishous
    Trishous Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It could be paradoxial vocal fold movement. I have this and anything that is high intensity causes issues. An inhaler won't help with this and you need to do breathing techniques to exercise. I recommend you go to an Asthma and allergy doctor. One that is familiar with both asthma and the pvfm. Asthma you can't get air out. PVFM you can't get air in. Asthma you need meds, PVFM there are no meds only breathing techniques. Just a thought but the doctor would be able to figure it out for you a lot faster than going through the forums.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    See a doctor, check your resting heart rate and your rate after an"episode "... also check your bp.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Everybody gets out of breath doing cardio at some point. Just about everyone can do easy cardio, as the intensity goes up, people start huffing and puffing, and if it keeps going up they wind up gasping for breath. The point where it gets hard to breathe can move around with your fitness level.

It sounds like that's what's going on. Obviously none of us can rule some medical issue out. If you're concerned about that possibility, see a doctor. It's up to you to decide.

To build up your endurance, do moderate cardio. Making your heart and lungs work harder than normal and making them keep it up will make them stronger. It doesn't have to be intense, just more than normal. Ride a bike instead of running, for example. Walk uphill instead of doing HIIT. Build up a solid base and the intense stuff will pay now dividends later.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    It could also be something as simple as remembering to breathe during certain exercises and keeping your breath even. It's easy to focus so much on the exercise, such as the squats, that you forget to breathe deeply and evenly and by the time you realize it it's too late and you're gasping for air.

That may be why hiking isn't as bad for you because it's much easier to remember to breathe evenly while walking. Just a thought.