Bogus calories and macros in database

Options

Replies

• dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I scan a lot of food when I can (other than fresh produce) using the barcode but never cross checked it and assumed it was accurate, I might start paying more attention.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've found so many suspect entries in MFP that I ignore it altogether. I default to USDA and/or conventional wisdom gathered from multiple sites.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Actually the FDA allows for up to a 20% margin of error on all nutritional information on packaging.

I have also seen this number mentioned on MFP. I have not done a lot of research on this yet - I will put it on my list of research projects for a rainy day. My initial guess is that the 20% number is actually a range centered on the target value; meaning an allowance of 10% below or 10% above the target number, resulting in a 20% range.

I believe this range is specified in the FDA or USDA guidelines for implementing a quality control program. I will check on that later. The quality control range is normally applied to the weight of packaging, so I would assume the target number is the actual weight of the item per package, and sometimes per serving. Most manufacturers do not want to package more weight than labeled/advertised (that would cost them money), nor do they want to package less weight than labeled/advertised (that would cost them customer dissatisfaction - think of the controversy about Subway foot-long sub that measured 11 inches instead of 12 inches).

On average, the majority of items I have weighed are slightly above the target weight as labeled. Very few items I have weighed turn out to weigh below the packaged weight label. Very few items have weighed more than 10% of the packaged weight label.

The items that tend to weigh below the packaged weight label are either non-branded items or some branded items that are sold at discount stores that are edible, but have been rejected by the manufacturer's quality control program for being under the stated package weight label. Those are normally sold to discount dollar-store chains and sold at deep discounts to patrons.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It's not as hard as you're making it out to be. Your best bet is to do your own research on a particular food first, then find a matching one in the database. It's the nature of the beast and it's totally workable.

This. Unfortunately it's possible that not all of the exact information you need is going to be handed to you from the MFP database. It takes some effort and tweaking in the beginning but figuring things out is part of the process.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do understand what you are saying though. Everyone is always advising others to weigh your food to be sure you are accurate on portion size. But if the calorie database of foods are inaccurate then being accurate on measuring is rather moot. Then we are told to only aim for a 500 calorie deficit, but are told that the exercise calories are over estimated. Sometimes it feels like you are throwing darts.
    That said I consistently have been losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.

I like to think of calorie counting as educated guessing. The basic concept is simple: CICO. The nitty-gritty are incredibly complex and sometimes even completely unknown. However, if you trend consistently close enough to a regular deficit, then you will lose weight. It just takes time and observation. Most people don't eat completely different foods every single day - I would guess the majority of people have a fairly small selection of go-to foods that they eat regularly. Figure out how your body reacts to those foods in combination. See what your weight does over time. Getting too focused on being exactly correct assumes that there is objectively knowable nutrition information out there, but there really isn't. Maybe calorie counting isn't for you at all - plenty of people lose weight just by reducing their portion sizes, relying on common sense and nutrition labels and the number on the scale.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jaza48 wrote: »
    Did what you said. "usda pork center cut chops boneless raw"......only looked at USDA listings......8 listings then I quit because it was quite scary.

Highest....Cal 239....Carbs 1g....Pro 24g....Fat 16g
    Lowest.....Cal 130....Carbs 0g....Pro 20g....Fat 5g

You may need to be more specific than "usda pork center cut chops boneless raw" if you want to hone in on a more exact number. The above is sold in various forms of lean-ness and cut so you would have to specify.

from USDA:
    syuryaa7h8yz.png

And this is, by far, the most complete database out there. Any site where the entries are fully checked by an administrative team are going to be either tiny and/or very expensive. The quality/completeness of the user-entered food name/description usually gives a good idea of the quality of the following information. In some cases, packaged foods have been reformulated at some point so you can get varying information there (with possibly both versions of an item available in different stores). Sometimes the entries don't make it clear whether an item is uncooked/dried or cooked (beans, rice, etc)-don't use those. If you eat something frequently, very closely check the entry or make your own entry (mine are initialled after the description so they come up quicker when searching).
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I find it really easy to match up my entries with the food I'm eating, it's pretty easy to weed through the bad ones, and if you can't find one that matches make your own.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm also not especially anal about tracking my macros and micros 100% accurately so if I can't find an entry with barcode or manually, I just quick add from the nutrition info on the packet. Even lazy loggers can find a way.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    MFP needs to find a way to clean up their database for sure. It wouldn't be a difficult task tbh. And possibly require people to make "recipes" for themselves without adding them to the whole database. Finally, it would be smart if they got the official information from the Companies regarding retail products and delete anything that isn't an official

Clearly leave the stuff you can't get an official number on. But anything you can, you don't need to have anything else in the database. Update the database annually.