Looking for exercise ideas for someone with severe angina and other heart problems

Options
I currently have a very low METS score and find standing or walking for more than 5 minutes difficult as a result of coronary microvascular disease. I was extremely active before this started but now can do very little due to shortness of breath and chest pressure/pain. I'll try taking a five minute walk and do great the 1st and 2nd days, but by the 3rd I'm struggling and after the 4th I'll end up having to miss work, etc. My cardiologist says to exercise but never tells me how or how much. Any suggestions? This is definitely not a situation where it's safe to just grit my teeth and keep pushing.

Replies

• sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    can you do sitting down exercises?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    karenmint wrote: »
    My cardiologist says to exercise but never tells me how or how much.

I would ask them for a specific plan, including a Target Heart Rate, or find a doctor who will provide that. :+1:
  • karenmint
    karenmint Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a reclining exercise bike that 2 yrs ago I could ride 20-30 minutes. Now I'm less than five minutes. Anything that makes my heart pump hard seems to cause problems. Do you think maybe 1-2 lb weight exercises sitting down? A lot of the problem seems to be I just don't know how to pace myself. Cardio rehab would be nice but apparently that's only after a heart attack, so I'm trying to create my own. Not very successfully though.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    karenmint wrote: »
    I have a reclining exercise bike that 2 yrs ago I could ride 20-30 minutes. Now I'm less than five minutes. Anything that makes my heart pump hard seems to cause problems. Do you think maybe 1-2 lb weight exercises sitting down? A lot of the problem seems to be I just don't know how to pace myself. Cardio rehab would be nice but apparently that's only after a heart attack, so I'm trying to create my own. Not very successfully though.

I think very light movements for now until your heart/body get used to it. BTW i never asked, are you overweight by chance? I'm not asking to be offensive.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your cardiologist should be able to refer you to a cardiac rehab/exercise program which is generally run with physiotherapist and cardiac nurses.

In Australia these are accessible through public hospitals and facilitate by the Australian Heart Foundation.

If your cardiologist doesn't know of specific group you can join to exercise safely I would (personally) consider finding another one or ringing around the hospitals near you to find out if they are involved in any programs and how you can attend.

Alternatively, the American Heart Foundation may have information about getting back into supervised exercise programs on their website. It may be a good place to start.
  • karenmint
    karenmint Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was a size 2 when my heart problems began.so definitely not overweight. Unfortunately, I have gained weight as a result of not being able to exercise and a misdiagnosis that caused me to be on the wrong medications that also caused a lot of weight gain. So, yes, currently overweight but, no, not the cause of the heart problems. The heart problems are believed to be the result of pregnancy complications years ago and chronic anemia. I have been trying to lose weight but not very successfully. I managed to lose 10 pounds by limiting my water intake, but that's about all.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Your cardiologist needs to provide you with an exercise do/don't list. Make another appt and come armed with a list of questions and concerns. Email the document to the Office about a week before your appointment.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you can get just one session with a therapist / rehab professional, it would be so valuable because they could set you up with a plan.

I was going to suggest stationary bike but it seems you've already got one. Does it have a build in heart rate monitor? I have lupus which sometimes gives me vasculitis and heart inflammation, and the thing about the bike is that I can control my own level of exertion. Find out from your doctor what your target heart rate is and how long he wants you to stay in it, and do what you can on the days when you can do it. On days you can't, back off. Try to do a little more every day. Go as slowly as you need to. The problem with this kind of illness is that it's a balancing act, it's not safe to do too much but if you do too little you'll continue to lose capacity.

Seated exercises with small arm weights sounds like a good idea. You might also try bodyweight squats to strengthen your leg muscles.