Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, and wait.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    How do people know when it's water weight? What if it's just weight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

If you've been eating at a deficit it should be pretty obvious...not rocket science.
  • Blezzed888
    Blezzed888 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse the problem is the water weight doesn't come off!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Blezzed888 wrote: »

Are you sure it's actually water weight then? And do you know what's causing it?

If I was retaining fluid for no apparent reason, I'd see a doctor.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I fight water weight a lot due to hormonal issues. I weigh myself every day and use a weight trending app to keep things in perspective.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    And how much weight are we talking about here? We could really do with some more information in order to answer your question fully.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options

How long have you tried to have it come off? What caused it?
  • Blezzed888
    Blezzed888 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse, @rileysowner, I have to wait a whole month before my weight drops off to 4 pds, that has been happening every month of my weight loss. Until this past August, I only lost 2 pds, due I think to increased sodium intake this month. But the rest of the weight won't drop off even a week later.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, and many people go for weeks at a time and then see a big woosh loss. This is why you need to look at the overall trend, not day to day or even week to week. You know that's your weight loss pattern, so don't worry about it :)
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Yes it does. Just not when you expect or want it to. There are many factors that make it fluctuate. It is a component of your overall weight. If you are trying to lose fat, you will lose it on a deficit. There is no point in trying to manipulate water retention, unless you have a specific medical problem with it. The body uses it for a variety of things, many of them good things.

When I hold onto water after training or making a change, I am shortchanging its purpose (muscle repair for example) by trying to get rid of it in order to satisfy a desire for a scale number.

Don't sweat it. (Or maybe do sweat it...literally...just don't become dehydrated and happy with a scale number at the same time...)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your body is about 60% water weight. You cannot and should not try to lose large amounts of water and small amounts don't matter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lowering insulin (cut carbs and keep protein moderate) is a fast way to lose water.