Good beginner workout routines that rotates muscle groups?

Options
Hello my mfpers, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good beginner workout routines that rotates muscle groups so that it can be done mon-thur. All the workout routines I have seen for beginners so far require rest days in between each day as they tend to be full body workouts, even though days A and B are different exercise they tend to target the same areas, so I guess that means I shouldn't be doing them back to back (and by listening to the dom, dom, dom, DOOOOMS! throughout my body I probably couldn't do it on consecutive days even if I tried.) Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm strapped for time on Fri-Sun, Thanks.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with a split routine...they're really sub optimal for a beginner. They are designed to be high volume to put on mass...ie bodybuilding. In most cases, the volume is excessive for a beginner.

Even with a proper split, most call for a rest day after two consecutive days of lifting.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Just posted this elsewhere. I worked through it and though it was fantastic

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-0

The way it's structured also helps you build good habits in the gym, and try out different split-styles to see what works for you.

It's 4 weeks long, and each week splits your workout different ways. One week is upper body, lower body. One week is arms, legs, back, core. etc.

It starts with rest days between, but builds up to a 6-day workout.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Given the constraint you want to work under, nothing is going to be optimal. That said I'd do upper/lower/upper/lower
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do the full body workouts! On your rest days, do ab exercises, or yoga, or walking. Incorporate another type of workout. Mon, Wed, Friday - Full Body Tues, Thursday - Cardio, Abs, Yoga. Weekend - Fun Workouts
    Are you doing workout videos or getting workout plans from online?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd do either upper/lower/upper/lower or FB/rest/upper/lower. That way you hit everything twice a week.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Mon-Bench with light OHP
    Tues-Squats with light Deads
    Weds-OHP with med Bench
    Thurs-Deads with medium squats

Will get you something done.
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try the fitness blender videos on YouTube.
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Given the constraint you want to work under, nothing is going to be optimal. That said I'd do upper/lower/upper/lower

Yeah I know but I have twelve hour work days on Fridays Saturdays and Sundays, so anything more intense then a light jog is going to knock me off my feet, or affect my performance at work. I'm the most in shape guy there (which is sad) but as so, anything heavy is my problem.

I'm on my own "clustercuss" routine which I upgraded to include "the big five" (Bench, Deadlift, Squat, Row, Military Press) and it follows the Arms Shoulders/ Legs Core days mon-thur, but I want to do an actual proper program that fits mon-thur but i'm guessing no such program exists. Or am I over thinking all of this? I'm worried about working out on Friday mornings (I'm already kind of tender from Thursdays workouts) and then have to go to work and lift and pull heavy consumable goods for twelve hours as i'm worried I will get hurt, or will my body adjust and i'm just being overly paranoid and cautious? As of now i am dead on my feet at the end of Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Yeah I know but I have twelve hour work days on Fridays Saturdays and Sundays, so anything more intense then a light jog is going to knock me off my feet, or affect my performance at work. I'm the most in shape guy there (which is sad) but as so, anything heavy is my problem.

I'm on my own "clustercuss" routine which I upgraded to include "the big five" (Bench, Deadlift, Squat, Row, Military Press) and it follows the Arms Shoulders/ Legs Core days mon-thur, but I want to do an actual proper program that fits mon-thur but i'm guessing no such program exists. Or am I over thinking all of this? I'm worried about working out on Friday mornings (I'm already kind of tender from Thursdays workouts) and then have to go to work and lift and pull heavy consumable goods for twelve hours as i'm worried I will get hurt, or will my body adjust and i'm just being overly paranoid and cautious? As of now i am dead on my feet at the end of Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Over the long term I would not expect to be overly sore/tender from the previous day's workout. I don't think I am alone in this either. Assuming you are on a good program (and by good I mean one that doesn't have you killing yourself with needless volume or intensity every single day) your body will adapt. I'm a fan of 5/3/1 so if you go with an upper/lower, I would use one of Wendler's many templates for that.