Loose skin

Options
So I'm sure this question has been asked a million times... but is there anything I can do to help prevent my skin from being loose after weight loss? Or anything I can do now in the process of losing weight that will at least improve it?
I'm 23 and my starting weight was 251 and I'm down to 241 right now. I haven't been at my highest wait for more than about 4-6 months. Before I reached my highest I stayed between 200-220 for about 4 years. I'm really enjoying losing the weight and since I've changed my diet and exercise habits I feel 1000 times better! I just want to do what I can to help my future self and body right now.

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Like Cheryl said, its genetics. Keeping hydrated and moisturizing is supposed to help. I can't say first hand.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned it really depends on your genetics/age. Either way, some of the most influential people on YouTube who have lost a ton of weight show their lose skin as a badge of honor. Their openness to share what most would want to hide due to being self conscience is a huge inspiration to me and others.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Wow! Brookielaw, I just went to your pics. What an amazing accomplishment. You look incredible. What an inspiration to others. Your muscles are incredible too. Great job.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    tnpx3 wrote: »
    So I'm sure this question has been asked a million times... but is there anything I can do to help prevent my skin from being loose after weight loss? Or anything I can do now in the process of losing weight that will at least improve it?
    I'm 23 and my starting weight was 251 and I'm down to 241 right now. I haven't been at my highest wait for more than about 4-6 months. Before I reached my highest I stayed between 200-220 for about 4 years. I'm really enjoying losing the weight and since I've changed my diet and exercise habits I feel 1000 times better! I just want to do what I can to help my future self and body right now.
    Here's a recent thread on loose skin and weight loss.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40309640#Comment_40309640
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I looked online to see the cost of an apronectomy. Averages are $8,500-$10,000. Obviously I have no idea of your financial situation and that kind of money would put a dent in most people's budgets. But it'll take you a little time to lose the weight you want. Could you open a special savings account and start saving for it now? Even a little bit each month would add up eventually. Just a thought. And good luck to you; you're off to a great start. :-)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    TAMayorga wrote: »
    I looked online to see the cost of an apronectomy. Averages are $8,500-$10,000. Obviously I have no idea of your financial situation and that kind of money would put a dent in most people's budgets. But it'll take you a little time to lose the weight you want. Could you open a special savings account and start saving for it now? Even a little bit each month would add up eventually. Just a thought. And good luck to you; you're off to a great start. :-)

That's a good point! Could you put away $10 for every lb you lose? Maybe have a conversation with your parents, if you lose X-amount of weight would they put money towards it?

ETA or, further down the line, would you feel comfortable doing a sponsored run to raise money? Maybe family and friends would chip in to help that way?

I just realised I totally went off track with that one, sorry :#
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Genetics and age. You are young so you will likely have less loose skin than I will at 61. Nothing will prevent it, but you can give yourself the best chance by losing slowly, staying hydrated, and pamper your skin with moisturizers.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Genetics and age. You are young so you will likely have less loose skin than I will at 61. Nothing will prevent it, but you can give yourself the best chance by losing slowly, staying hydrated, and pamper your skin with moisturizers.

Seconded, just remember that all moisturizers are basically the same, so don't let yourself get tricked into spending $$$ on something that promises the moon and stars.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone has said so far. I have lost about 200 lbs and when I am naked I look like I am melting. I am also in my 50s so there's the age factor - my skin most likely won't bounce back. I've considered skin surgery but not only is it cost prohibitive, what I have seen from people i know who had it is that the recovery can be extremely painful, difficult, and it can take a long time. Also, the scarring is pretty major. My loose skin isn't pretty, but it doesn't keep me from doing things in any way, and honestly I feel amazing and I am healthy and that was my goal. All that said, the skin on my face is great now, probably from the lifestyle changes I have made.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Starting at age 23 will help you minimize some of it, because your young skin is more resilient. I'm 57 and am sad to report that my skin hasn't bounced back so much. I stay hydrated, slather on some moisturizer, and look at that saggy skin and rejoice that I'm thinner and healthier. You're very smart to do this while you're young!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Seconded, just remember that all moisturizers are basically the same, so don't let yourself get tricked into spending $$$ on something that promises the moon and stars.

Agreed. I use Dove moisturizing body wash and Curel lotion. Both inexpensive, effective, and don't have the ingredients I am allergic to.
  • shipleyamye
    shipleyamye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Losing at a reasonable rate, so not too fast. 1-2 pounds per week will help minimize loose skin.
  • tammystarren
    tammystarren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 41 started at 270 and am at 212 with about 60 more to go. I have loose skin in my underarms and tummy. Some of it has tightened back up but i imagine i will have an issue in the end.

Good thing is you are young and may have less of an issue! Prob with good skin care and toning you can prob keep it more minimal.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your youth will help you. I was about your size but 20 years older. Mine isn't too bad--not even bad enough for me to really care. I'm much happier with the weight gone and a little loose skin than I ever was being overweight.