Jogging vs walking hills

Options
Which would you say, is most beneficial when trying to lose weight? My town is HILLS, not little hills, my husband can barely push a stroller up type hills. I can walk these hills, I FEEL the burn in my legs walking these hills, but I cannot currently jog/run the hills (maybe for 10 seconds at a time) -- There is a running track at the high school I could run on.

Would you suggest walking the hills or doing a couch to 5k type running program on the flat ground?

Replies

• Wies1972
    Wies1972 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you have to compare to amount of time you can walk vs run? Like one hour hiking would burn more kcal then 5k running? I would say: whatever makes you happy and you can do for a longer period. I like to listen to a podcast or ebook while walking. Perhaps you enjoy the couch to 5k soundtrack.
    Or how about doing a hike on a day of rest for the c25k?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I live in a hilly area too. Why not start by waking up the hills and running on the downs?

Work up to running up the hills.

Running downhill for an inexperienced/weak runner is a recipe for injury
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Which would you say, is most beneficial when trying to lose weight? My town is HILLS, not little hills, my husband can barely push a stroller up type hills. I can walk these hills, I FEEL the burn in my legs walking these hills, but I cannot currently jog/run the hills (maybe for 10 seconds at a time) -- There is a running track at the high school I could run on.

Would you suggest walking the hills or doing a couch to 5k type running program on the flat ground?

Both have benefits, but the main thing is to work up a strategy that allows you to develop, and is sustainable.

Personally I'd suggest using C25K on the track to give yourself the capacity, then move to the roads when you're more comfortable.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Are the zombies chasing you? If so, then I would at least job, if not, start out walking and add the jogging in, until you get to the point you can jog them all once the zombies start chasing you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Sometimes walk the hills, sometimes run if you like or want to run. Both are good cardiovascular exercises. Neither are going to be beneficial to weight loss unless your eating is controlled.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If your goal is calorie burn/health, do both at first to keep things from getting boring. Once you get your running chops together, start running the hills.

If your goal is ultimately to do a 5K, then just focus on the running.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I first got into running and was on a mission to lose all of my excess fat I would go looking for hills. As I got stronger they felt great and got me pumped up. I say run on the track while walking the hills and gradually add some running up the hills to build strength.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I live and run in a hilly area and still have to walk the hills occasionally... the one on the final straight to my front door is an absolute killer!

However, running on hills has been amazing for my fitness and I can run so much faster on the flat than I could when I lived in a flat area. So I'd try and do a bit of both :)
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I live in a similar area, not a single flat plain for as far as the eye can see. I'd recommend walking as you want to make exercise as easy as possible, and nothing beats just waking up and being able to walkout the door and get it done. Once you get bored with walking i'd recommend trying to jog, just be sure to take it slow. It took me about three months to work up to jogging 45 minutes (I jog four times a week Mon,Tue,Thur,Fri). I would try adding a little every two weeks, just be sure to listen to your body. My ankles and top of the feet started bothering me a couple weeks back so I took a week off, sticking to just walking and biking, and I feel better off (and most importantly) not crippled for it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do c25k 3x week on the flats. Walk the hills 4-7 days a week. Don't push too hard on running the hills, easy to get injured until you are well conditioned and have a proper training plan for hills.
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do c25k 3x week on the flats. Walk the hills 4-7 days a week. Don't push too hard on running the hills, easy to get injured until you are well conditioned and have a proper training plan for hills.

Exactly !!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I live in a hilly area too. Why not start by waking up the hills and running on the downs?

Work up to running up the hills.

Running downhill for an inexperienced/weak runner is a recipe for injury

This is exactly how I started building my running. I haven't had an injury from running yet.

My *running* is more a jog though.
    I wouldn't even really call myself a runner although I run hilly paths or trails at least twice a week.

I think it really depends on the degree of incline, the weight and balance of the runner and the appropriateness of the footwear to the surface.

A greattip I got on this site was to tackle the downhills with a bit of a zigzag.

Work within your limits is a given isn't it?
    Don't go screaming down a steep steep incline if you can hardly run on flat surface.

My point was more that training with the hills will help condition you to run the hills.

Standard 'don't hurt yourself' disclaimer.