Tricking metabolism

Options

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I just eat within my calorie goals, and it naturally varies every day. And I eat different foods from day to day. And I'm losing weight. My only "trick your metabolism" thing is I exercise. That seems to really throw my metabolism for a loop! It's so confused it doesn't know what to do, other than to give me a little more pep to my step while I continue to lose weight.
  • tammystarren
    tammystarren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Is tricking metabolism like confusing muscles?

Next up we have baffling your thyroid, bewildering your digestive system, perplexing your nerves and confounding your ligaments.

best response ever!

Not really! Just trying to be funny and its not. If you look up how metabolism works during weight loss you would know what I mean ! Read the book the obesity code.

Your body tries to maintain thats why our metabolism changes..slower and faster! If you always eat at 1300 cals for example your metab will slow down and so will your weight loss along with other involved factors. By varied eating you can keep your metabolism more revved up. Its a way to fool your system rather than it being at a consistent rate.

You asked for input, we gave it to you. You rejected it, so clearly there is some specific answer you want to her. PM it to me, I'll post it for you, and we can all go on with our day.

Yes i did and its fine if you disagree! My question was just asking if you stick to your daily set limit on mfp! For those who fluctuate it I was wondering how they do it and how it has worked for them!

I didnt really need sarcastic comments.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I vary my exercise and my calorie intake by the hour, sometimes by the minute... my body never knows what to expect. it's awesome!!!

THIS! Go with this.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Apparently it's not fine if we disagree because you've made it very clear that we are all wrong.

But if you really want to continue down this path, when you ask about varying/fluctuating intake, how big of a variation are you asking about? No one ever eats the exact same amount of calories each day... is 10% enough? 25%? For some that could only be 120 cals per day, for others it could be 1000.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    You guys your body senses weight loss and when you are eating a reduced calorie diet to lose weight your metabolism slows down! Its a protective mechanism so yes you can trick it by not staying the same everyday. That way it helps your metabolism stay revved!

I was asking how you guys do this but sounds like you stay the same.

Am I missing something? I thought you were the one who came in with questions. If you find that The Obesity Code is helping you, go for it. We should all do what brings us success as individuals. But it's not for the reasons you think.

Yes you are missing something! Going back to my original question....mfp sets your daily calories to eat every day .... do you guys fluctuate from that to try and work better with your metabolism (since you dont like the word tricked) ? Or do you consistently go by your daily calories as set on mfp ?

I am switching over from ww which obviously does things differently! We are given a range to eat in!

Your metabolism cannot be manipulated, tricked, scared into submission, etc. etc.

Really so you have the same metabolism rate since birth then ? Did you know increased muscle mass speeds metabolic rate ? Decreased caloric intake slows it ? Being a bigger person increases it vs being a smaller person which is why bigger people have higher caloric needs

People of different sizes have different calorie needs. Adults have higher calorie needs than children. Nobody denies this. This has nothing to do with "tricking" your metabolism.

Exactly but we CAN purposely affect and change our metabolism! Okay so forget about tricking as you know what I mean!!!! I guess i should say purposely altering! We can do this by changing our body mass increasing exercise and by changing our caloric intake for example! Thats my point! Would our metabolism be more revved up and effective at weight loss if we put more of a range in our caloric intake than by staying the same every day!

Its a simple question! I was asking about those who do this and how they do that with mfp so that i can proceed with this program!

I am unaware of any evidence demonstrating that our metabolism is more effective when we vary our day-to-day intake.

That said, many people here do vary their intake day-to-day so that they can do things like eat more on the weekends or fuel their higher activity days. If you log your activity calories and eat those back, it's likely that you're going to be eating a different amount on different days. And if you go by a weekly calorie goal, you'll probably be doing the same thing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You guys your body senses weight loss and when you are eating a reduced calorie diet to lose weight your metabolism slows down! Its a protective mechanism so yes you can trick it by not staying the same everyday. That way it helps your metabolism stay revved!

Am I missing something? I thought you were the one who came in with questions. If you find that The Obesity Code is helping you, go for it. We should all do what brings us success as individuals. But it's not for the reasons you think.

Yes you are missing something! Going back to my original question....mfp sets your daily calories to eat every day .... do you guys fluctuate from that to try and work better with your metabolism (since you dont like the word tricked) ? Or do you consistently go by your daily calories as set on mfp ?

I am switching over from ww which obviously does things differently! We are given a range to eat in!

Your metabolism cannot be manipulated, tricked, scared into submission, etc. etc.

Really so you have the same metabolism rate since birth then ? Did you know increased muscle mass speeds metabolic rate ? Decreased caloric intake slows it ? Being a bigger person increases it vs being a smaller person which is why bigger people have higher caloric needs

People of different sizes have different calorie needs. Adults have higher calorie needs than children. Nobody denies this. This has nothing to do with "tricking" your metabolism.

Exactly but we CAN purposely affect and change our metabolism! Okay so forget about tricking as you know what I mean!!!! I guess i should say purposely altering! We can do this by changing our body mass increasing exercise and by changing our caloric intake for example! Thats my point! Would our metabolism be more revved up and effective at weight loss if we put more of a range in our caloric intake than by staying the same every day!

Its a simple question! I was asking about those who do this and how they do that with mfp so that i can proceed with this program!

The short answer to you question "Would our metabolism be more revved up and effective at weight loss if we put more of a range in our caloric intake than by staying the same every day!" is no. Unless you have some specific information proving it does (and the Obesity Code is not evidence), forget this idea for weight loss.

Now if you want to eat a varied calorie allowance, many here do. Less during the week and more on weekends, or a variation of intermittent fasting, and many find it helps them with weight loss as it helps them hit their weekly calorie goal to eat this way. That comes down to personal preference. If you want to use MFP to set a daily goal that varies, you will need to pay for the premium version. I look at the week view on the app (doesn't work on the website) and try to hit my goals on a weekly basis, instead of focusing on the daily. But that is so I can have a higher day when going out.
  • tammystarren
    Options

I am unaware of any evidence demonstrating that our metabolism is more effective when we vary our day-to-day intake.

That said, many people here do vary their intake day-to-day so that they can do things like eat more on the weekends or fuel their higher activity days. If you log your activity calories and eat those back, it's likely that you're going to be eating a different amount on different days. And if you go by a weekly calorie goal, you'll probably be doing the same thing.

I am unaware of it too but if you look at people who plateau I find it very interesting the methods they use to get going again. Its fine I will just try and adjust things as I see fit and will eventually figure out how my body responds. I was just curious if people have had more success varying their calorie intake vs staying the same everyday! With a huge community like this I was thinking some people have come across this.
  • tammystarren
    Options

The short answer to you question "Would our metabolism be more revved up and effective at weight loss if we put more of a range in our caloric intake than by staying the same every day!" is no. Unless you have some specific information proving it does (and the Obesity Code is not evidence), forget this idea for weight loss.

Now if you want to eat a varied calorie allowance, many here do. Less during the week and more on weekends, or a variation of intermittent fasting, and many find it helps them with weight loss as it helps them hit their weekly calorie goal to eat this way. That comes down to personal preference. If you want to use MFP to set a daily goal that varies, you will need to pay for the premium version. I look at the week view on the app (doesn't work on the website) and try to hit my goals on a weekly basis, instead of focusing on the daily. But that is so I can have a higher day when going out.

Okay so I CAN set mfp to vary !!! I did pay for premium. Just trying to figure it all out on here!