BMI and recommended Weight

Options

Replies

• Tangled2015
    Tangled2015 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not sure but what's suitable BMI for 5.4 female?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Not sure but what's suitable BMI for 5.4 female?

BMI is a weight range - Body Mass Index. You can find BMI charts that will show the range you should be in quite easily via Google. Where you ultimately want to end up within that range is up to you.
  • Tangled2015
    Tangled2015 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Let me check mine first.
  • johnmurrayus1
    johnmurrayus1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good discussion, yes BMI is a scale defining the required weight for a person as per his height, age and current weight.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think with BMI people get all caught up on a "perfect #". Then they hear others say it's "rubbish". And honestly, people's perception of the correct body proportions are all messed up. We've gotten used to most people being overweight. Then people feel like it's too much work to get within that window, especially if you've alway been on the heavy side (fat, not muscle). And because it's easy to listen to others than actually lose more weight, they stop, because it's easier. Not everyone will fit in that healthy weight window, but it's a good gage for most of the population. You just have to know yourself and how you are built.

I know, for myself, I feel my best at a 21 BMI. According to the window, I'm healthy up to 179lbs. But even at 165 I start feeling "tubby". The perfect weight for me is 150, at 5'11, and a 38 year old woman. I just have a hard time staying there...hence why I'm here, writing this. I need to keep coming back to MFP after 6 years on and off to get a little 'reality check'. Basically proving that once you hit goal, it's not over.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    Point was that BMI allowes both to carry 20lb more belly fat and be normal . It's too loose. So for folks who are trying to be fit, don't just get to the edge of it, you want to be at center, and especially for women, then the center is still high.
    With IBW, you can't loose 20lb more.

I'm 5'8". The median for my BMI range is 143.5. The IBW for my height is 138-141.

So you're telling me that, especially for women, the center [of the BMI range] is still high? It's a two pound difference...not a 20 pound difference. You're splitting hairs over a negligible figure.

IBW still fails to account for people who are skinny fat (as does BMI). Both have their faults.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You can "absurd" all you want, reality is that those 2 fit males, athletic, were at ideal weight for their performance. No one is carrying 20lb of more bone mass at a given height, or you better check for tumor. And we are not talking about bodybuilder who alters his hormones so he gains 20lb more muscles. If you have extra 20 on you, it's fat. We all pacify ourselves that it's bone mass, it's muscle, it water bloat, we are all so loving and full of excuses for ourselves. It's ok to be more critical, and push ourself into fitness. Get inspired and improve yourself.

For a particular sporting event/performance.

Additionally, if you were a fight fan, you would know that their "official" weight bears only passing relationship to their fighting weight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/08/25/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-weigh-in-live-updates-stream/

Mayweather is a little light there and McGregor looks very big at the weight. He will be 15-17 pounds heavier tomorrow night and will try and bully Mayweather physically early. Great weigh in great atmosphere

Great weigh in for Conor Mac
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    You can "absurd" all you want, reality is that those 2 fit males, athletic, were at ideal weight for their performance. No one is carrying 20lb of more bone mass at a given height, or you better check for tumor. And we are not talking about bodybuilder who alters his hormones so he gains 20lb more muscles. If you have extra 20 on you, it's fat. We all pacify ourselves that it's bone mass, it's muscle, it water bloat, we are all so loving and full of excuses for ourselves. It's ok to be more critical, and push ourself into fitness. Get inspired and improve yourself.

Wrong. My husband is 5'8" and 175#. That's an overweight BMI and, according to IBW (lol), his ideal weight is 148-153.

His body fat is 12%. No hormones, no steroids.

Maybe now you can get inspired and improve yourself...let go of the excuses that say it's impossible to have a few extra pounds of muscle with a disciplined diet and workout routine. It's okay to push yourself into fitness.

Clap, Clap, Clap! (the sound of applause)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Stanman, a 153lb body would look like a marshmallow with additional 17 lb of water. It's was a boast mcgregor made, its nonsense.
    Example. I'm 155, i have abs, was very sore for few days after overtraining, so sore I could not attend gym, my body was recovering for 3 days, and I was weighing in at 161. This 6lb water retention is heavy in the abdomen and chest. It was very notable and I could not see abs. I was fully recovered by day 3, thanks for caring, and body flushed out. So that claim was BS, it was extra obvious to me, since this was real recent.

Clearly you don't understand the fight game... 17 lbs of water(10% of TBW) is typical.