Need some help/advice

Options
kennethjwoodard
kennethjwoodard Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hello, my name is Ken. I’m a husband and father to 2 children. I am 37, 6’ and I fluctuate between 285 and 305lbs. I have wanted to regain control of my health and weight for about 10 years. I read articles, watch videos, buy gym memberships(go occasionally) and give half assed attempts at eating right. My problem is my job and it’s “schedule”. I am a Locomotive Engineer. I am on call 24/7, I live 1 hour from work and I get a 2 hour notice to show up. When I am off I typically have 12 hours off, minus my 2hrs of driving that leaves me 10hrs to spend time with my family and with my wife, perform household duties, attempt to attend kids activities if time of day permits, get myself ready for my next shift, try to workout, try to meal prep and try to sleep. My time off is completely random as well, could be 8am-8pm, midnight-noon or any other 12period between. Often missing my family all together if they’re at school and work. I usually need to forego sleep in order to keep up with the rest of my responsibilities. When I do go to work I am usually gone between 36-48hrs. I know there are 3 basic needs for a healthy lifestyle; sleep, nutrition and exercise. I know I could find time in there to workout and prep healthy meals, but that would mean less sleep than I already get. I would love to have a workout partner, but I can’t because I could never have a schedule that would work with anyone else’s schedule.
I am really struggling trying to find a balance when I have zero sense of normalcy. Any advice would be appreciated. Here is a screenshot of last weeks sleep pattern. The 2 missing Monday’s and missing Saturday aren’t an error, I didn’t sleep those days and Thursday was broken because I needed to get the kids up and to school.

z7antrzn8ezq.png

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    So: continue to sleep, get your wife involved with prepping you healthy meals to take to work, and take walks with your kids/ride bikes with the family for exercise.

You don't have to work out to lose weight. You just need to track your calories and learn portion control.

This is a helpful and supportive place. We're here to help you!!
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Thick_n_Fit_Mom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You forgot one very important "basic need for healthy lifestyle"..... YOU!! I totally get this...im a working mom/wife/ chauffeur....etc, However it's imperative that I make myself a priority, so I can be a better wife/mom and so forth. It's tough, but there's a way, if you want that healthy lifestyle! Get that family on board the meal prep, even fitness, your spending time and getting a workout in. You can do it! Prioritize! Good Luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you certainly have quite the schedule!

As already mentioned, you don't necessarily have to work out to lose weight, and working out doesn't have to be what we all think of as working out. You can go for a walk with the family and get everyone involved, or start a game of tag with the kids ( I am making some assumptions about age here, I suggest investing in some nurf guns personally)

Also meal prepping can be a family event, start teaching the kids how to cook, you and the wife can chat about your day together in the kitchen. Basically just try to do as much together as you can so all your duties and family time can mush together instead of having to always be separate events.

• Akkael
    Akkael Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that's been said. If you can make it a family thing thing maybe you could also get more sleep. Other option would be to consider another job with hours that fit what you want.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Wow. I thought the NTSB or some other regulatory agency limited shifts to 12 hours. Do you get to sleep somewhere when you're gone 36 to 48 hours?

I agree with the above posters about how to involve your family more in food prep. I feel for you, though. I'm an absolute wreck with too little sleep.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I do shift work so I rotate between nights and days and I work 12 hours shifts. I try to make my workouts incredibly intense when I am on a time restraint so I get them done in 30-35 minutes on the days I work. When I am off I get my family involved or I at least ask them if they want to join me. We go hiking, biking or my family favorite is kayaking. We are so similar its crazy. I have 2 kids I am 6'1, 38 and fluctuate from 190 -210. I average 6 hours of sleep on day shift and 5 hours on night shift. I am doing a diet and workout with a friend to keep him motivated so here is a example of my workouts. This is my routine from yesterday, I do it at work in a 10x10 area with a floor mat, dumbbells and a jump rope

Tabata training which is 20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest for 4 minutes.

Tabata #1
    Dumbbell curls
    D.B. front squats
    jump rope
    1 minute rest after 4 minute workout

Tabata #2
    D.B. shrugs
    Hamstring kickbacks
    jump rope

Tabata #3
    D.B. hammer curls
    Mountain climbers
    jump rope

**** Repeat all 3 ****

----Bonus Round ----
    Tabata #4
    D.B. cross body curls
    D.B. clean and press
    jump rope

Should take about 35 minutes and you will be exhausted. Feel free to add me and see my workouts and recipes. Best of luck!