How to plan for meals when you're away from home?

Options
I will be attending a class for a week in Chicago. This pretty much means I'll be eating lunch and dinner out every day (not sure on breakfast, as I haven't made reservations yet, and the hotel may provide something) for 6 days. I'm trying to see if I'll get into a hotel room with a fridge and/or microwave, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Do any of you have some great tips to keep me on track next week? Thanks!

Kelli

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I live and work in Chicago and can tell you that there are TONS of options for healthy eating. That being said, I also travel a lot for work, so I feel your pain. Bring fruit with you (you can get it through airport security now, just not drinks). I usually travel with apples and grapes. Bring good snacks for yourself and then just be smart with dinner. The snacks will keep you from losing your cool at dinner. I always have almonds, fiber one bars, and fruit with me when I travel. Also, search for restaurants near your hotel and look at their menus on-line. See if they have nutrition facts and pre-select a few options for yourself. And go rent a bike and ride along the lakefront to burn some calories!!!
  • maestro501
    Options
    Hi! I always do best when away from home when I know the nutritional info of the food, so I try to eat at places that provide the info. For example, there are Starbucks and Panera - both of which are easily found in a city, and both of which put caloric and other nutritional info in reach of customers. Using myfitnesspal, you can also find nutritional info for food at many other restaurants (i.e., Portillo's, a Chicagoland classic) so you can easily stay on track with your fitness goals.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Try to find out what restaurants are in the area and look up their menus on line. Pack non-perishable snacks like almond butter and pita chips. If they have a Continental breakfast in the morning swipe some extra fruit and keep it in your room.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work in the spring and the fall, and this is always my biggest challenge.

Break the ingredients down bit by bit in order to log everything. Also, do something active each day. This helps since you are off of your normal routine, and normal eating routine. Even if you take a walk each morning and bring a workout DVD you can do in your hotel room (YouTube also has some free workout videos...Power Yoga is easy to do in a hotel room). If you set aside time during each day (even 1/2 hour) it will make a big difference.

Also, if you are eating out for lunch be aware that not all of the healthy menu items are actually healthy. Some salads in restaurants have 1,000 calories or more do the dressings they use. You're better off to go to a place that has a salad bar and make your own salad.

On my last business trip I tried to eat a lot of fruit and things like wraps for lunch.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I travel frequently for work. In fact, I'm heading out of town tomorrow. Here's what I do. First, I bring my favorite snacks (beef jerky, microwave popcorn, premeasured 100 calorie cookie packs) with me. That way I don't go roaming for goodies in the vending machine.

I've found that hotel breakfast can be HUGE and way too much food. So I do one of two things. Either I bring pre-measured baggies with my favorite cereal for breakfast, OR I get an omelet -- regular or egg white, with spinach, mushrooms, and I tell them to put the cheese on the side, so I can supervise how much I put on top. Tell the waitress that you're trying to watch what you're eating... they'll be surprisingly accommodating.

I have 2 favorite lunches that are available EVERYWHERE, and I stick to those. My favs are chicken caeser salad (no croutons, dressing on the side), or a cheeseburger (no bread). Substitute a green salad or fresh fruit salad for the always present french fries, and you're good to go.

For dinner, grilled, steamed or baked anything is best. No fried!! If a dish comes with rice or potatoes, I ask the restaurant to substitute some steamed veggie (whatever is available). Always get your salad dressing on the side, since you can then control how much is actually used.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I travel frequently for work and all over the US so planning is the key to staying on track. for the flights in and out, I prepack foods in my trusty lunch box. For the days I am at the new city, most hotels (if not all by now) serve at least a continental breakfast which usually includes boiled eggs. I get 10-12 and take out the yolks with 2 apples, and 2 slices of whole wheat bread. That's my meal 1-2.. Then depending on the lunch, I will get a grilled chicken salad, no dressing, no cheese no croutons. I split that into two and one part for meal 3 and the other for meal 4. Then dinner and I split that into two also with choices being lean protein with 1 cup veggies. Hope this helps.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Usually hotels will have a microwave, even if not in your room-as part of the lobby/breakfast area.

Look for grocery stores nearby and see if you can get lean cuisine or such. Sometimes you can even find shelf stable meals like that.

Other suggestions have been great too.

Sarah
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    bump so i can read later. i will be traveling quite a bit for work over the next few months.
  • hfsgirl
    hfsgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're staying in a hotel, find out if there's a fridge in the room. If there is, you could always pick up some healthy snacks to keep yourself from eating huge portions when you go out. Or you could even get a few things that you could eat as meals that don't require cooking. As childish as this sounds, you can make soup in the coffee pot if there's one in the room. Or boil some veggies! You can always keep dry goods in the room too. Basically do anything you can to limit how much you eat out. And when you do, plan out where you're going, and try to have an idea of what you're going to get. Pick something off the menu that's relatively healthy. I already know what to get at some chain restaraunts because I've looked up the menus before, so I would try going to places that are familiar to me, so I know what I'm getting is relatively healthy.

I hope this helps you! I know it's hard to stay on track when you're away from home. It's so hard to stick to a healthy diet! But I wish you all the luck!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Also there is a whole foods I believe in down town chicago see how close you are to it if at all they have restaurants in it. The dressing on the side is a good tip for the salad and dip your fork in the dressing when eating it instead of drenching your salad tastes so much better and you use that much less dressing!
  • Antlerdancer
    Antlerdancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above! I travel a LOT in the fall for my job. I just came back yesterday from a three day trip. It was HARD! I started off great but ended up eating way more than I wanted to, and not good stuff at that!
    I recommend bringing the Fiber 1 bars, packing fruit or buying some when you get there. If you can, grab some lauhging cow and some fruit at the store, or pack it. Laughing Cow does not have to be refrigerated. Think protein, too! I bring oatmeal packets to eat because more of my events provide coffee/tea and I can stir up the oatmeal. The most important thing to me is to have "fresh" food available -salads, fruit, veggies.. eat lots of those when you can. Dress them lightly and incorporate protein.
    Drink LOTS of water. Exercise when you can but commit to it. I hate lugging my giant size 11 workout shoes but it's important to be able to work out, even for 15 minutes!
    This fall, I'm committing to bringing my big fat shoes on the road with me and using them! Keep tracking everything here, even when you go overboard!
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? If so, be sure to get the MFP ap (of course) and try to find some other restaurant/menu aps. I have one called Restaurant Nutrition on my droid and I love it because I can search the database by restaurant and then by calorie content. For example I type in Taco Bell, put the calorie range between 0 and 500 and it spits out a list of items that Taco Bell has under 500 calories. Or you can search by restaurant and see exactly how many calories/nutritional info each menu item has. This works great if you don't have a choice of where you're eating, but of course it's only for chain type restaurants. There are a lot of restaurants in the database though.

Enjoy your time in Chicago!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    A girlfriend of mine had a similar issue.

Find out where you are going to eat before hand and check the menus. Let the waitstaff know how you want food to be prepared. If they hassle you, tell them you have food allergies and your doctor wants you to follow a strict diet.

She also called the hotel where she was staying, told them what she was doing and had them put a mini fridge in her room. The hotel was super helpful.

She took a small George Foreman grill and grilled chicken in her room, a bullet blender to blend protein shakes/smoothies, and a bottle so she always had water. Given you are in Chicago, you could probably have Whole Foods deliver your food to the hotel and the staff can stock your fridge.

Oh, and use the gym at the hotel.
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    Before you go out, look at the website of the place you're going to and look though their menu before you get there. That way, you can choose what you get beforehand and plan out the calories, how much you can realistically set aside for later, and such.
  • msmgis
    msmgis Posts: 15
    Options
    I second checking with the hotel and see if they can put a mini fridge in your room. They may have microwaves available too.
  • kbcakes
    kbcakes Posts: 84
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? If so, be sure to get the MFP ap (of course) and try to find some other restaurant/menu aps. I have one called Restaurant Nutrition on my droid and I love it because I can search the database by restaurant and then by calorie content. For example I type in Taco Bell, put the calorie range between 0 and 500 and it spits out a list of items that Taco Bell has under 500 calories. Or you can search by restaurant and see exactly how many calories/nutritional info each menu item has. This works great if you don't have a choice of where you're eating, but of course it's only for chain type restaurants. There are a lot of restaurants in the database though.

Enjoy your time in Chicago!

While I don't have a smart phone, I have an Itouch, and this is something I am definitely interested in. Thank you so much for this type of app. It hadn't occurred to me to look for this, and trying to find nutrition information on the internet is not always the easiest!!
  • kbcakes
    kbcakes Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their great advise! I actually managed to lose 1.5 pounds (although I wasn't able to weigh myself before I left, so it is over the course of 2 weeks). A huge success in my book!!
  • vulrich93
    Options
    Instead of trying to lose weight, aim to maintain it. It's hard to lose weight when you're away from home. Always ask for a smaller potion, or take half of your meal home.