Eating within calorie deficit, then why am I gaining?

Options

Replies

• JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Goober1142 I hope that's all it lol
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well I was late to the game never mind!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    also when scanning foods the database can be off and you still want to weigh those foods as well,then scan if you want and find the right entry as labels can be off by up to 20%. I used to scan stuff and found that most of the entries were off or completely wrong. so I stopped doing that. you dont have to just cross reference anything. but I was on a medication a few weeks ago and I was retaining close to 10 lbs of water, its now just coming off day by day and its been more than 3 weeks. so yes it can be water weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    try to eliminate processed foods, and foods with added sugars. Go whole foods and keep those foods under in a calorie deficit. for me it was too many sugars. I thought I was eating so healthy! Yogurt, and whole grain breads, whole wheat bagels, diet and low fat foods. WOW was I wrong! I didnt lose weight until I cut out sugars and carbs. since Jan I am down 32 lbs!

Plenty of people lose weight eating high carbs too. It's all about controlling calorie intake.

If you like low carb and can see yourself using that as a maintenance strategy that's great. But elimination diets never helped me maintain, I always went back to old habits. The best diet helps you lose weight AND helps you keep it off too.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    try to eliminate processed foods, and foods with added sugars. Go whole foods and keep those foods under in a calorie deficit. for me it was too many sugars. I thought I was eating so healthy! Yogurt, and whole grain breads, whole wheat bagels, diet and low fat foods. WOW was I wrong! I didnt lose weight until I cut out sugars and carbs. since Jan I am down 32 lbs!

Plenty of people lose weight eating high carbs too. It's all about controlling calorie intake.

If you like low carb and can see yourself using that as a maintenance strategy that's great. But elimination diets never helped me maintain, I always went back to old habits. The best diet helps you lose weight AND helps you keep it off too.

I am losing simply by focusing on protein intake and staying on calorie deficit. I probably eat ALLLLL the carbs and then some.

Poster, keep doing what you're doing. I'm also having a bad week since the scale isn't moving (just this week) and I'm on an aggressive cut so losing 1lb per week is crucial.. but I also have to factor in the fact that I'm on my TOTM and I probably won't see a difference in the scale until it's over. BUT, there's definitely a difference in my progress pictures (pic I took last week and the pic I took today). So don't stress!

• melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound stupid to some of you and you will probably roll your eyes, but what is TDEE??

I am glad you asked because I had no idea either. Hang in there, it sounds like you are trying and even if you don't see the results on the scale right now, know that they will come. I agree with a previous comment suggesting measuring.
    Keep up the good work!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    One more thing to check, are you putting yourself down as "sedentary" and then logging exercise, or are you putting yourself down as "active" and not logging exercise? Or are you putting yourself down as "active" and ALSO logging exercise, because that could make your calorie goals off.

Keep chugging along soldier! :)
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @timtam163 I'm putting myself down as sedentary and then any exercise I do my Fitbit adds my calories into my fitness pal. So like if I walk 1.5 miles it'll add 300 cals extra on to my normal cal deficit. Should I not be doing this??
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Before I bought a fitness tracker I read the Which reviews (UK consumer association). Fitbit monitors could regularly overestimate calorie burn by up to 40%. That's why I bought a Garmin, and even then I don't link it to my account, I use it to make sure I'm not over-estimating my walking speed and putting down 4mph when I'm actually only walking 3mph. Try unlinking your fitbit (you don't have to stop using it entirely) and using the MFP estimates - I know some people think they are overgenerous, but I lost my weight using them AND eating back my calories so they can't be that far out. If you walk at 3MPH, 1.5 miles will take you half an hour. For me at 10st 5lb that is 106 calories. I know if you're heavier you will burn more, but try adding the time and effort rather than the fitbit calories.
  • timtam163
    Options
    @timtam163 I'm putting myself down as sedentary and then any exercise I do my Fitbit adds my calories into my fitness pal. So like if I walk 1.5 miles it'll add 300 cals extra on to my normal cal deficit. Should I not be doing this??

That seems fine in theory but how are you burning 300 calories doing 1.5 miles of walking? I burn about 120 calories running 1.5 miles and maybe 100 walking that distance, probably less... I'm puzzled. Can you give a few more examples of calorie burns for activity? Might help to see if you might be off there.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »

That seems fine in theory but how are you burning 300 calories doing 1.5 miles of walking? I burn about 120 calories running 1.5 miles and maybe 100 walking that distance, probably less... I'm puzzled. Can you give a few more examples of calorie burns for activity? Might help to see if you might be off there.

She posted earlier that she was obese, so she might be burning more as a heavier individual. Either way, this was a good catch and OP should make sure she isn't overestimating that burn.
  • timtam163
    Options

She posted earlier that she was obese, so she might be burning more as a heavier individual. Either way, this was a good catch and OP should make sure she isn't overestimating that burn.

Fair point. After looking at some calorie counters, it looks like 300 would not be far off for a heavier person. Haha! I walked like 3 hours the other day and MFP only gave me 120 extra calories using the step adjustment feature (life's not fair...) hence my gut instinct that 300 was too high. But it's very likely correct.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Fair point. After looking at some calorie counters, it looks like 300 would not be far off for a heavier person. Haha! I walked like 3 hours the other day and MFP only gave me 120 extra calories using the step adjustment feature (life's not fair...) hence my gut instinct that 300 was too high. But it's very likely correct.

My stupid fitbit rarely counts walking as active minutes anymore. Which, you know, is awesome because I'm actually starting to be able to jog more than ten seconds without getting winded, but is making my fitness goals more difficult to hit. /humblebrag
  • jenjen3713
    jenjen3713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know it can be annoying trying to use weight. Just the fact that you are out there working out and watching what you eat shows that you are on the right track. Also, there will be ups and downs when trying to lose weight, just keep doing what you are doing. For some people, the weight just seems to just melt off. While others, like myself, it takes time. For myself, what I do today I will not see the results from the workout or my eating habits until 6 weeks from now. Also, weight loss is not only how many pounds you lose but also how many inches you lose or how tone you are. Don't give up! I wish you much success on your weigh loss journey.