PIYO

Options
Hello all. I'm on a new journey to lose a lot of weight. My mind is finally focusing on the eating portion, but I still need to figure out the right exercise program that I will be able to stick to. I did some research and purchased the PIYO dvds. I was hoping to get some feed back from people who truly used the program. Did it really work for you and how many pounds/inches did you lose and the amount of time it took to start seeing results? I really appreciate any response(s)

Replies

• mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For Pilates or Yoga, you need to work with an instructor who can watch your body form and make sure you are moving correctly. If you do not have the correct form, you will not do the moves right, and you will likely injure yourself. If you are interested in PiYo, then find a class as a start. It won't be the same as 1:1 attention from the instructor but they will at least give you feedback if you're doing something wrong.

I've been doing reformer Pilates for 1.5 years (and did it for about 1.5 years several years ago before that due to life things). It's definitely helped in terms of strength training, injury recovery (and prevention), and body health but it was the "eating less" that actually caused the weight loss. Pilates has provided me with a lot of lean muscle tone however and as I lose fat it's exciting to see that definition peeking through.

Exercise is less important for direct weight loss and more important for general physical and emotional health. Do not depend on it for weight loss as it will vary too much, but it certainly helps. Also note that Pilates/Yoga/PiYo etc will increase muscle mass which will also impact weight loss (the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat). Make sure you are taking circumference measurements in addition to mass (weight).
  • adianes
    adianes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you mmmpork.
  • selenajo26
    selenajo26 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    With my diet I have been mixing Zumba fitness and piyo twice a week and put myself on a 1200 calorie a day diet. I do t drink anything with high fructose corn syrup, high amounts of preservative, artificial sweeteners or eat processed meat or potatoes. It intense but it works and I ha e gotten huge results I'm the past 4 weeks.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The program you'll stick to is the one you enjoy. You've already purchased the DVDs so I'd start there and also include walking/running, light lifting, etc into your routine to keep things interesting. I have friends who swear by PiYo but I've never tried it.
  • HoustonStrongMT
    HoustonStrongMT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Piyo consistently using Beachbody OnDemand (online) since the end of April 2017 (along with tracking on my fitness pal and sticking to around a 1200 cal diet). I love Piyo and definitely feel stronger. I've lost around 15 lbs so far - 5 lbs away from goal weight. I didn't measure inches but there's a noticeable difference in muscle definition in arms, legs, butt and abs. She does a really good job taking you through the moves.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bought PiYo last year. He did the full 60 day calendar and used MFP to track his calorie intake and lost 26lbs ☺️ I do the workouts from it a lot but also run and do some other exercises but I do think the program works. I really love the way it makes me feel - all the stretching is great! Drench from it is one of my all time favorite workouts!
  • doceo
    doceo Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi. I purchased the dvd a few years ago, but never got started with it. NOW, however, I'm free from work and started working out daily again. I took yoga and pilate classes for the first time. After a few weeks of yoga and pilates, I signed up for a piyo class once thinking it would be easy. Heehee. My hair and shirt were soaked by the time I finished: I have a love/hate relationship with PIYO. I love what it does; I hate that I'm still struggling to move from position to position as fast as the rest of the women and men! Of course, the class I'm in is a class of regulars who were doing it for a year or more. Yea Me... and I'm about 25 years older than most of them....

I pulled out that dust-covered DVD and started watching it and going through the moves slowly with Charlotte. I'd stop; rewind; do it again. I think the dvds are fantastic. Charlotte explains how my body should be and what to avoid, I was fine without a physical instructor. You can do it!!

The only question I have about piyo is my physical class starts a new routine every 5 weeks or so. The way the instructor talks, the routine is from somewhere.... I would love to know where the routine is from because I would really like to take the moves apart (as I did with the DVD) and do them slowly until I get them. Maybe it's just me, but then I'm in my 60's and a little slower than the 20, 30 year olds in the class. So if anyone knows where a routine is listed or what book or whatever they are in (not the DVD), please respond with that info or pm me!

Lost: 19 lbs. I'd like to lose 10 more. My path is set as long as I avoid the holiday season pitfalls.