Hmm.. MFPs sugar recommendations seem a little odd..

2»

Replies

• In not sure how accurate MFP is on sugar content. I always look at the sugar content on the packaging itself its amazing how some foods are loaded with sugar. And its foods you would never think aswell. I allways read the packaging to be sure.

Yes, seeing how much sugar is in the pro-biotic yoghurt has raised my awareness about sugar. I'll be checking food labels from now on!

Sugar isn't the problem for me, Sat. Fat is more confusing to me because it doesn't break down the types of fats. Mono Unsaturated fats are actually better for you and help with getting rid of belly fat... avocados, nuts, ect.. But when I added Mono unsaturated to my list of items to track, it says my goal is n/a and any that I do have it puts a negative number in my "left" column. It list that I should have 17 g of saturated fat....if it is including the good fats, then fine....still a bit confusing. I know it can't expect me to eat 17g of trans fat!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    You need to set your goals manually for unsaturated fats, as there is no recommendation for limits for unsaturated fats (that I'm aware of.)
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Yes, the sugar recommendation on MFP is misleading. I think it's based on the USDA recommendation that ADDED sugars make up no more than 8% of the daily intake of calories (which for me is 28g). However, having this as the recommended total is inaccurate and misleading. Trying to limit ALL sugars to below the recommendation for ADDED sugars is unhealthy. The sugar counts on labels and in the database make no distinction between NATURAL sugars (which there is no upper limit for) and ADDED sugars, which are good to limit. In trying to find a recommendation for NATURAL sugars, I found a site which recommends 100 g a day of NATURAL sugar. Therefore I changed my sugar recommendation on MFP to 128g a day to give me a goal for both NATURAL and ADDED sugar.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_sugar_are_appropriate_per_day_for_the_average_adult

Thanks. Really helpful. I am going to change my sugar settings right now.