1st Spin class

Options
bluval89
bluval89 Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so im really interested in spin classes as I have heard a lot of things about them. Depending on my husbands schedule i would like to go at least 3 or more days a week. I wanna know what to expect (realistically of course) weight loss, how often should i be doing it, difficulty lvl and especially what to do/bring to 1st class. How will it change my body (BF loss by spinning and areas toned, how long to see some results or the effort put in etc)
Quick info about me.
27 5'9 296 lbs goal weight 220 or less recently started walking everyday

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a great workout! I've been doing it for about 20 years and still love it! Bring a small towel if your gym doesn't provide them as you'll probably be sweating during class. Be sure and bring a water bottle. It's a good idea to be well hydrated before class. Make sure you've had a little something to eat about an hour before class as the workout can cause your blood suffer to dip. Get there early and don't be shy about telling the instructor that it's your first class. He or she will be happy to help you set up your bike and go over a few basics. Don't worry about going all out on your first class. It's your ride and you need to go at your own pace!
  • bluval89
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    Spinning is a great workout! I've been doing it for about 20 years and still love it! Bring a small towel if your gym doesn't provide them as you'll probably be sweating during class. Be sure and bring a water bottle. It's a good idea to be well hydrated before class. Make sure you've had a little something to eat about an hour before class as the workout can cause your blood suffer to dip. Get there early and don't be shy about telling the instructor that it's your first class. He or she will be happy to help you set up your bike and go over a few basics. Don't worry about going all out on your first class. It's your ride and you need to go at your own pace!

Thanks so much for the reply. I am definitely nervous. Do i really need to buy padded pants and spinning shoes or is my regular workout gear is fine? Oh and (possible silly question)is it a good idea to use my waist trainer? I use it everytime i go on a walk but im not sure about spin class
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you keep the cadence high (80 to 90 rpm) it will strengthen your knees. Opposite of running.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I tried spinning for the first time, my only goal was to stay on the bike. I didn't worry about going as fast as everyone or doing the same things they did. I did that for a few weeks until I was comfortable with everything and able to start feeling comfortable. You can do this!
  • bluval89
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    bluval89 wrote: »

Thanks so much for the reply. I am definitely nervous. Do i really need to buy padded pants and spinning shoes or is my regular workout gear is fine? Oh and (possible silly question)is it a good idea to use my waist trainer? I use it everytime i go on a walk but im not sure about spin class

Start with regular workout gear. I've been spinning for probably 10 years now, and I still wear regular shoes (undistinguished light athletic type), t-shirt, and workout leggings. I sweat like crazy, so I personally need a sweatband, but not everyone does (if you think you need one, a folded bandana would work in a pinch).

Take a towel, and a water bottle that will fit a standard bottle cage (some spin bikes have more accommodating bottle holders than others, but any bottle that would work in a regular bottle holder should fit any of them).

Get to the first class a bit early, let the instructor know you're new, and get their help adjusting the bike to fit you.

Whatever advice they give you as a new person, follow. But, if they don't say much, here's what I'd suggest: Try, in your first class, just to keep pedaling through the whole class if possible, even if you have to back off the resistance or intensity to do easy pedaling. If they ask you to do something you're not comfortable doing yet, just do regular seated pedaling - the "not comfortable" ask could be anything, but for quite a few people it's some of the standing pedaling or quick up'n'down ("jumps").

Expect to have some "saddle soreness" after the first few classes. Padded shorts or a padded seat cover may help a little, but mostly it just stops being a problem after a while. Some gyms have a few padded seat covers people can use. If you're able to do some of the "standing pedaling" bits, even if a bit slowly, that gives you a break from the saddle so may help.

When I started spin, I was obese, and it was hard to do some things, but it kept getting more manageable (never easy ;) ). I've seen lots of others start at many ages and fitness levels and sizes, and do just fine, getting stronger & fitter over time. You will, too.

Don't worry: You can do this! Have fun!

Thanks! Exactly what i wanted to know
  • TomatoandMoz
    TomatoandMoz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wear leggings - short bunch and are annoying. Go early and tell the instructor you're new because fitting the bike properly is important as well as ensuring everything is safely tightened.

It's a great workout and you get out of it what you put in. You'll burn fat and get a high intensity workout if you want.

My advice would be to keep your rpm high (how fast your legs spin) until you build muscle and stamina to push at slower rpm.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,837 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I wear my cycling gear to the spinning classes I attend ... padded cycling shorts, sleeveless jersey, and shoes with cleats so I can clip in.

I would not use a waist trainer ... ever. But especially not in a spinning class. If I put in any kind of effort, I get HOT!

Bring a bottle of water and a towel. I find that my feet cramp if I don't drink my entire bottle of water by the end of the class.

And keep in mind that you can do as much or as little as you want. You do not have to do what the instructor says if you're uncomfortable with it.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I've only been spinning since June, but will add that my arms, outer/inner thighs, calves & ankles have slimmed & look good! I'm sure my back, shoulders & waist are way better, too, but am also eating at a deficit. I typically go 2x a week but I get bored easily so added yoga, OTF, and strength/balance work. I get good burns in a 45 minute class & the sore butt went away after 2-3 classes (in a week) :-)
    (Don't invest in cycling shoes til you decide you will stick with it; but I do like mine a lot! $100 at my local bike shop.) You will want to try them on- glad I did not buy online!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'll also add that I complement my Monday spinning class with about 20 min of rowing on the rowing machine in the gym area upstairs. 45 min spinning class + 10 min stretching + 20 min rowing. I figure while I'm there I might as well get a really good workout.

And then I cycle outside on weekends and whenever I can during evenings after work.
  • bluval89
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I wear my cycling gear to the spinning classes I attend ... padded cycling shorts, sleeveless jersey, and shoes with cleats so I can clip in.

I would not use a waist trainer ... ever. But especially not in a spinning class. If I put in any kind of effort, I get HOT!

Bring a bottle of water and a towel. I find that my feet cramp if I don't drink my entire bottle of water by the end of the class.

And keep in mind that you can do as much or as little as you want. You do not have to do what the instructor says if you're uncomfortable with it.

Ok got it. I use the waist trainer because a friend of mine said she used one and it helped her. I saw a difference in her so i bought one 2 months ago but ive been wearing it only for cardio (walking and bike at gym)
    CTcutie wrote: »
    I've only been spinning since June, but will add that my arms, outer/inner thighs, calves & ankles have slimmed & look good! I'm sure my back, shoulders & waist are way better, too, but am also eating at a deficit. I typically go 2x a week but I get bored easily so added yoga, OTF, and strength/balance work. I get good burns in a 45 minute class & the sore butt went away after 2-3 classes (in a week) :-)
    (Don't invest in cycling shoes til you decide you will stick with it; but I do like mine a lot! $100 at my local bike shop.) You will want to try them on- glad I did not buy online!!

If i like it i plan to do it 3x a week and add in weights at the gym to help build muscle quicker. I love hearing it slimmed your thighs thats one of my main problem areas. I want smaller thighs, butt and my belly smaller and my 2 back rolls to go away
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wear fitted leggings, nothing that could get caught in wheel. Aim to keep pedalling but don't be so worried with keeping up with gear changes or speed, you are in control of the effort. Towel and water as already mentioned. Enjoy, I love it .....
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I do a spin class 2-3 times a week and have for a long time. My advise, that many have already said:
    -wear fitted leggings and comfortable shirt you don't mind sweating a lot in
    -bring a towel (or 2 or 3)
    -have a big water bottle handy
    -show up at least 10 minutes before class and let the instructor know you are new...they should help get you bike ready
    -go at your own pace! Watch the instructor, but understand you won't be able to do what everyone else might be doing
    -know that every instructor is different in difficulty. I love 1 instructor at my gym, the other I've been to is alright.
  • TurnipGirl
    TurnipGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure to watch your laces- I've been spinning for a few years now, and got my lace caught in my pedal in the middle of a pretty intense song and it felt like I nearly launched myself off my bike! I didn't of course, but I did have to take off my shoe and detangle it!

Also, depending on your instructor and fitness level, you may have some intense soreness afterwards. I considered myself in decent shape, and after my very first spin class (or when I'd try a particularly difficult class or new instructor, as I improved) I nearly faceplanted into the parking lot as I stepped down from the curb. My muscles nearly gave out!

.....but based on my entire post, I'm just a clumsy person and you'll probably be fine!
  • Saltwaterinmyveins
    Options
    I've been spinning for the past 6 months so really fairly new! I go 4-5 times a week and I love it. I agree with everything else everyone said. Most importantly, take it at your own pace. It may seem impossible the first class (depending on the length of the class and intensity) but it gets easier! I used to feel like I was going to literally die because the classes really push you...but within the first few months I was able to adjust and I have gotten so much stronger. You will notice the muscles in your legs become very strong, and it burns a ton of calories within a short amount of time. As everyone else said, keep hydrated both before and after the class. Don't worry about anyone else around you and if there is anything you aren't comfortable doing out of the saddle, just stay seated until you feel comfortable. Good luck, you're going to love it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'd recommend being very skeptical of calories the bike gives you. I'm sure they differ in accuracy, depending on the specific model. But for Thursday's spin class (around 45 minutes), the bike said 617 calories . . . while my heart rate monitor said 258. Just for fun, I compared the MFP exercise database estimate and it was somewhere around 300, which isn't crazy different from the HRM.

(I'm kinda small now, in the 120s, so you will get quite a few more calories for a spin class than I do! :) )
  • bluval89
    Options
    So basically just keep paddling no matter what. Now i only have one more ? Even though i wont be able to everything the instructor says will i still get a good enough workout to 1.)get in better physical shape 2.)see a difference if i just keep going at my own pace because i can tell you guys now i am in bad shape and my breathing is horrendous during any strenuous cardio. I feel like im Dying
  • Machka9
    Options
    So basically just keep paddling no matter what. Now i only have one more ? Even though i wont be able to everything the instructor says will i still get a good enough workout to 1.)get in better physical shape 2.)see a difference if i just keep going at my own pace because i can tell you guys now i am in bad shape and my breathing is horrendous during any strenuous cardio. I feel like im Dying

Yes.

You've got to start somewhere.

Do what you can ... keep it up ... and after a little while, do a little bit more. Keep it up ... and after a little while, do a little bit more.

And don't just do spinning classes. Be active throughout your day. Walk and take the stairs whenever you can. Spend a bit of extra time at the gym to row or lift weights. Go swimming sometimes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options

Yes. Not gonna lie: It will take time, and it will be very hard at first.

But as long as you keep going to class, and challenge yourself to work a little harder even as the class itself begins to seem a little easier, you'll gradually make progress. Eventually, you'll surprise yourself with how much you achieve. I promise.

You just have to keep going to class, and work at it (without literally dying ;) ) while you're there. That's all it takes to get fitter & stronger: Persistence.

• bluval89
    Options
    Ok great i will try my best! Well i just reserved my bike(#23) for sunday 8am HI time. Ill let you guys know how it goes. Thank you all again i really appreciate it!!!!