Calories burned walking at work

Options
2»

Replies

• cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit app has a section where it tracks how many steps each hour between 9 am and 7 pm. The goal is at least 250 steps in each hour. If I don't pay attention, I might get 4 or 5 hours with more than 250 steps, but I try to hit at least 9 to 11 hours with 250 steps or more. It really depends on my schedule. BTW - on the weekends I usually get 10 or 11 out of 11 with the recommended steps.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've had days of walking 18000 steps and MFP only gives me an extra 150 calories. So I don't know. But the benefits go beyond calorie burn, which is why it's important to have diverse markers of progress: energy levels, motivation, time to listen to podcasts, etc.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It depends how busy I am at work. If I'm very busy and stuck at my computer all day, then about 4,000 steps max. If I have a little extra time, I will make an effort to get up and walk more and can usually get to 10,000. I work in a large building, so I can take the short route to the bathroom (200 steps round-trip), or the long route to the bathroom (1,500 steps round trip). Even without extra effort, it's 2,000 steps to my office mailbox round trip and about 800 steps from my office to my car.

isn't 1,500 steps pretty close to a mile? That's a heck of a long-way around!
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    cyclone48 wrote: »
    My Fitbit app has a section where it tracks how many steps each hour between 9 am and 7 pm. The goal is at least 250 steps in each hour. If I don't pay attention, I might get 4 or 5 hours with more than 250 steps, but I try to hit at least 9 to 11 hours with 250 steps or more. It really depends on my schedule. BTW - on the weekends I usually get 10 or 11 out of 11 with the recommended steps.

250 steps an hour is a pretty low bar? That's only 3000 steps in a 12 hour period?
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    cyclone48 wrote: »

250 steps an hour is a pretty low bar? That's only 3000 steps in a 12 hour period?

250-500 steps an hour while sitting at a desk on a computer being productive is a relatively aggressive goal.

True. I don't disagree though 400-450 seems like it would be a more realistic target if you're going to the trouble of setting an hourly target and all. That would put you at 5,000 steps in a 12 hour period which seems like it would match up with a typical 'sedentary' lifestyle?

250 per hour is pretty close to doing nothing. I know anything is better than nothing, but I'm not sure I need a target to tell me that I need to do just a little bit more than nothing!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It depends how busy I am at work. If I'm very busy and stuck at my computer all day, then about 4,000 steps max. If I have a little extra time, I will make an effort to get up and walk more and can usually get to 10,000. I work in a large building, so I can take the short route to the bathroom (200 steps round-trip), or the long route to the bathroom (1,500 steps round trip). Even without extra effort, it's 2,000 steps to my office mailbox round trip and about 800 steps from my office to my car.

I have short little legs so it's more like 3/4 of a mile for me. If I'm going to take that long route to the bathroom, I just have to remember to not wait until I REALLY have to go. :)
  • DX2JX2
    Options

I have short little legs so it's more like 3/4 of a mile for me. If I'm going to take that long route to the bathroom, I just have to remember to not wait until I REALLY have to go. :)

LOL - on the plus side, if you wait a little longer then it's great motivation to run that 3/4 of a mile instead of walk!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

2000 steps is normally a mile for most people of normal height(5'4"=6'2"
  • DX2JX2
    Options

Still...3/4 of a mile to/from the bathroom requires some dedication (or very poor office planning)!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Still...3/4 of a mile to/from the bathroom requires some dedication (or very poor office planning)!

Or just using an inconvenient bathroom.

In the building where I work, I can walk up to a bathroom(that is a 1500 step round trip)... Or I can walk(400 step round trip) to a closer one... or several in between.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Ha! Not poor office planning...basically, my building is a large oval shape, so there's a short way and a long way to get everywhere depending on which direction you walk. I can make a left or right turn out of my office and eventually end up in the same place.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I initially got a cheap pedometer for curiosity too: I knew I was sedentary but had heard about "10,000 steps a day" and wanted to see how bad I really was (drive to train station, sit on train, sit at desk). I was surprised to see that I was getting minimum 5,000 per day, and routinely doing 8,000 or more. My "drive-sit-sit" is actually: park car, up two flights of stairs, walk across bridge, down two flights to train, walk 10 minutes to work, get up from desk 20 times to go to kitchen, bathroom, lunchroom, printer, go out at lunch to library, shopping, errands, etc.
    This little test motivated me to get a Fitbit One, and to start incrementally adding more steps and stairs. The Fitbit also showed me that I am fidgety: I go up and down the stairs at home at least 10 times a day, and even when I'm sick I'll get 3,000 steps when I thought I spent all day in bed or on the couch.