How do you shred fat without losing muscle

Options
I started weight training and i also do cardio 3x week. I notice I am getting bulky. I see the muscle coming in but it seems as through my fat isn't going anywhere. Any advise as to how to lean out/shred fat while retaining my muscle? Should I increase my cardio? Do more HIIT? Help Please!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to lose fat, you need to be in a deficit - do you track your intake accurately? (food scale for solids, measure liquids?)
  • Monislimdown
    Monislimdown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to lose fat, you need to be in a deficit - do you track your intake accurately? (food scale for solids, measure liquids?)

I need to get more strict and really write down my intake. So far I just watch what I'm eating and stuck to chicken and veggies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So all you have to modify in your routine is measure and log how much you are eating.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I need to get more strict and really write down my intake. So far I just watch what I'm eating and stuck to chicken and veggies.

Be strict but not restricted.... There is no reason to stick to chicken and vegies. Put your stats in to MFP and get a calorie goal for weight loss
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

watching what you eat does nothing for weight loss...if you want to lose you need to eat at a calorie deficit and to know you are doing that you need to be logging and weighing all your food.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I started weight training and i also do cardio 3x week. I notice I am getting bulky. I see the muscle coming in but it seems as through my fat isn't going anywhere. Any advise as to how to lean out/shred fat while retaining my muscle? Should I increase my cardio? Do more HIIT? Help Please!

So...how long have you been strength training? There will be an influx of fluid in your muscles not that you are training them. Although they have physically gotten bigger, it's nothing to worry about. Make sure you are eating at a deficit and be patient for the fat loss. There's no reason to panic or adjust what you are currently doing for workouts. These things don't happen quickly.
  • Monislimdown
    Monislimdown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys! I will start tracking and continue with what i am doing now.