Non-Fiction Book Suggestions

KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
I am curious what non-fiction books other MFP members have read/are reading and have enjoyed. I am in the mood to do a little book shopping and I love non-fiction. Any subject is fine, but any about nutrition/health/medicine get bonus points. :)

Currently reading:

51h-eKX3orL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Entertaining book so far, but still haven't formed an opinion on it (not that far in).

Favorite non-fiction book so far in recent memory?:

51VznMUbydL._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Awesome book from a former astronaut about all the things you do while being an astronaut, including mundane crap. There are some serious moments, but a lot of it is very entertaining.

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    1utvgrlufk37.jpg
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Anything by Richard Preston. The guy writes about stuff like the quest to eradicate smallpox (Demon in the Freezer) and while it's non-fiction, he makes it read like medical thrillers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    American Cake: From Colonial Gingerbread to Classic Layer, the Stories and Recipes Behind More Than 125 of Our Best-Loved Cakes by Anne Byrn
    I haven't actually made any of the cakes yet but have enjoyed reading the book.
  • KosmosKitten
    km8907 wrote: »
    1utvgrlufk37.jpg

Read a snippet about this one; looks like I'll have to add that to my list, thanks!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    The Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel

• KosmosKitten

What's this about if you don't mind my asking?
  • KosmosKitten
    Anything by Richard Preston. The guy writes about stuff like the quest to eradicate smallpox (Demon in the Freezer) and while it's non-fiction, he makes it read like medical thrillers.

Isn't that the guy that finished writing up Micro after Michael Crichton died?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Yes he is. I just googled it to be sure.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

Sure. It's about Christopher Knight, the hermit discovered to have been living in Connecticut woods for 27+ years and stealing from townsfolk to survive. It's pretty crazy.
  • KosmosKitten

Sure. It's about Christopher Knight, the hermit discovered to have been living in Connecticut woods for 27+ years and stealing from townsfolk to survive. It's pretty crazy.

That definitely sounds like a good read, thank you for the suggestion!
  • KosmosKitten
    So.. I'm guessing either a lot of people in this forum don't read books.. or they only read fiction. That's a bit of a bummer.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Nonsense: The Power of Not Knowing by Jamie Holmes
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Armageddon, Germany in 1944 & 45

by Max Hastings
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

I saw an interview with him and he seems like a pompous tool..... but it's still a good read.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach

Great writing style. I found it really entertaining.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    I am curious what non-fiction books other MFP members have read/are reading and have enjoyed. I am in the mood to do a little book shopping and I love non-fiction. Any subject is fine, but any about nutrition/health/medicine get bonus points. :)

Currently reading:

Entertaining book so far, but still haven't formed an opinion on it (not that far in).

Awesome book from a former astronaut about all the things you do while being an astronaut, including mundane crap. There are some serious moments, but a lot of it is very entertaining.

I would be interested in this one
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    Back To The Wild by Christopher McCandless
    The Wild Truth: The Secrets That Drove Chris McCandless into the Wild by Carine McCandless
    Granite Mountain: The Firsthand Account of a Tragic Wildfire, Its Lone Survivor, and the Firefighters Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice by Brendan McDonough

I read and enjoyed Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
  • KosmosKitten
    slessofme wrote: »
    Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach

Great writing style. I found it really entertaining.

I bought this one, thanks. :)

Currently reading:

I would be interested in this one

It's really good! Read it!