Low Carb and Alcohol

Options
Do you have to completely quit alcohol to lose weight if you track it?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You don't have to quit alcohol to lose weight, no. You also don't need to go low carb either.

However, if you want to go low carb to manage your calorie intake, for medical reasons or because higher protein/fat satisfies you more, then alcohol is carbs so therefore you'd be needing to wach your alcohol intake.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can do low carb and still drink...I usually go for Jameson in coffee or semi-dry white wines for low-carb options...there are some decent low-carb beers, I used to be a Michelob Ultra fan...
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can drink alcohol and lose weight.....if I run 20+ miles a week. Its a vicious cycle.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I can drink alcohol and lose weight.....if I run 20+ miles a week. Its a vicious cycle.

How much alcohol you drinking there buddy ;)
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was actually drinking a bit on the heavy side throughout dropping my first 50 pounds. I figured, better a beer than a milk shake.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have to completely quit alcohol to lose weight if you track it?

you can drink and lose weight, but you do have to track what you drink, those calories count too
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here's a link for you to a helpful chart with respect to alcohol:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/carbcounter/bev.shtml
  • uniquekimjackson1
    Options
    My birthday will include alcohol a nice reisling will go down nicely everything in moderation ..a little bit of wone does no harm...I do believe tracking what drink towards calories very essentail for getting fitter ..thanku wise advice
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just polished off a nice cold Moscow Mule, made with sugar-free ginger beer. 106 calories, no carbs.
  • nibby10101010
    nibby10101010 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks for all your replies.....great feedback! Just as I thought, if you track it, it can't harm, right? Good point, Tinkerbell! Thanks for the helpful links. I stay with tequila, vodka or cabernet, all fairly low carb options.